Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Starbug Opinions: Red Dwarf

Eagle

Commander Ret.

Does the PE Starbug stand on it's own (without the daft figures) as a reasonable replica?...

JMChladek

Alphans
For the price, yes I would say so. I mean it may not quite be studio model accurate, but it looks good enough to me (as I have one). Of course how accurate it is depends on what they based it on, but proportionally it looks right.

JericoEagle1

Alphans
Are you talking about the playset or is there another one I'm not aware of? I just got the playset from WhoNA and I think it looks pretty good the stabilizer fins seem undersized but I like it. I thought of making a Diorama of it in the hanger bay surounded by eagles and personel with "What the hell...?" looks on thier faces.

the DOCTOR

Alphans
The prototype was better, with 'finer' landing gear, and details, and, despite the figures being around 1/72 (or 25mm) scale is meant to be around 1/96 scale, I also made a 1/48 lit model, and a 1/144 master for a garage kit that never happened.

Original toy under construction:

1/48 scale scratchbuild

Unproduced garage kit:

The main reason that this toy came about was that Steve saw my 1/48 Starbug, and said that if I could make a playset that looked that good when closed, he'd produce it!

Oh, and yeah, it's a pretty good reproduction, even if I do say so myself!

JMChladek

Alphans
Now that type of appearance can be done with ground up pastel chalk as well. Simply tape off the panel line area, apply the chalk with a cotton swab or microbrush, then pull off on viola! It may not duplicate the appearance exactly, but it gives a nice faxsimilie of a worn panel area in similar manner to what an airbrush does. Plus the technique can be scaled down as well if you use a tighter application tip. Microbrushes work wonders for this sort of thing.

Nice work on those Starbug masters there Doctor. You certainly did a lot better with your stuff then the original Comet kits (of which I have one, expensive little bugger).

the DOCTOR

Alphans
Ta, I started on the garage kit master long, lonnnng before I contacted PE, and that nearly ended up as the playset, but I'm glad I had to make it bigger, more bang for your buck!

As to airbrush weathering, it's all down to practice, I've had to airbrush a (fake) marble fireplace surround this last week, and when I started it, I had no idea what I was doing, by the time I'd done two thirds of it, I had to go back to the first bit and do it again, 'cos I'd got the hang of it!

I tend to weather using post-it notes, they can be used over and over, and give you suberb straight edges!

CR

Alphans
the DOCTOR said:
I tend to weather using post-it notes, they can be used over and over, and give you suberb straight edges!

Tip of the Day, that! :thumbup:

CR

Alphans
Of course the member named after an insect thinks something called the Starbug is cute! (Just kidding, cricket!!)

cricket

Alphans
CR said:
Of course the member named after an insect thinks something called the Starbug is cute! (Just kidding, cricket!!)

:p :p :p

I didn't even think about that! Actually, named after a cat who is named after the sport. Bizarre, I know.
But the little ship is cute!

the DOCTOR

Alphans
cricket said:
the DOCTOR said:
An American? Who Knows of the Game CRICKET?!

I don't understand, how..?

:D

Military brat who grew up 'overseas' (from a US perspective, of course :p ).

Oh, that makes sense. Which is more than the rules of cricket do. :D

preHEstoric said:
It was Buddy Holly who had the Crickets...which inspired the Beetles. :?

[pedant]Beatles, a bad pun, shurely?[/pedant] :twisted: