Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Steve D's SCRATCHBUILT Discovery project!

DX-SFX

Alphans
EMA are alive and well and living in Shepperton. They were recently (relatively) taken over and have started stocking all sorts of allied modelling products in addition to being the UK distributors for Plastruct. It's worth getting one of their catalogues. 01932 228228.

Steve D

Alphans
Cancel christmas?????

Hi there Tony,many thanks for the advice and the links, makes for some VERY interesting reading:(. However (you just know what Im gonna say next dont you:yes:). I know I may be dafter than a Kangaroo with three main legs:wtf: but Im gonna get it for the simple reasons its big and as I have ordered it through work and I cancel, I lose fifty quid. Having said that, Im pretty confident that I can turn it into something pretty reasonable as far as paint, decals and minor structural mods go which I will keep the guys informed of as I go along.Should be quite an interesting Jan/Feb. As far as the Discovery goes, check out the reply to Arts question and all will become clear!. Anyway thats it for now, once again many thanks for the info and welcome back:):):)....Regards..Steve...

Steve D

Alphans
Many thanks Chris, will order one in the next couple of days, are you allowed to talk about your new projects yet????:yes:

Steve,

Thanks for the information. I know of EMA and a have a couple 9" hemispheres coming from them. I alsio have a copy of the Spaceship handbook. I agree that it's a great reference! There are some minor inaccuracies in the Discovery drawings, though. The cargo module couplings and the engine tubes(?) don't look quite right.

FWIW Jon also sells his drawings seperately at http://www.rogersrocketships.com/

This was paritally at my urging as I didn't want to damage the book by using the drawings directly from it's pages.

Thanks Again,

Art

Bishop

Alphans
Hi there Tony,many thanks for the advice and the links, makes for some VERY interesting reading:(. However (you just know what Im gonna say next dont you:yes:). I know I may be dafter than a Kangaroo with three main legs:wtf: but Im gonna get it for the simple reasons its big and as I have ordered it through work and I cancel, I lose fifty quid. Having said that, Im pretty confident that I can turn it into something pretty reasonable as far as paint, decals and minor structural mods go which I will keep the guys informed of as I go along.Should be quite an interesting Jan/Feb. As far as the Discovery goes, check out the reply to Arts question and all will become clear!. Anyway thats it for now, once again many thanks for the info and welcome back:):):)....Regards..Steve...

It will be really good to watch how you go with it. I don't know how you'll get the banana bend effect out, but a new paint job, decals, reshaping of the outer cockpit windows each side, removing the joins on the rear booster nacelles and checking that the tail plane fins become vertical at the right point (I vaguely think they bend too soon before the meet the cross bar of the tail plane)... and the rescribing of the lines on the pod... and you should end up with something a lot better than you bought.

You shouldn't, of course, have to do any of that for the money.

Lots of photos please. It could simply be an ugly duckling that turns out to be a great foundation for something wonderful..... or something like that...

Steve D

Alphans
Hmmm, interesting, bit more of a job than I had thought. But then again I might strike lucky and get the perfect one, so no need at all for fannying about :lol: But in the words of the imortal Blackadder "yet again the devil farts in my face" So theres no surprise there then. Will just have to suck it and see when I get it:thumbup:

Steve D

Alphans
Good evening Tony, well the big green er thing arrived in our place today and what can I say apart from its big, green and very bendy. Apart from the windows the front dont look too bad. The pod scribing I can do no probs, the paint and decals, no major headaches. BUT starting at the front of the rear wing support everything seems to go REALLY tits up. I see what you mean about "the bend" I wouldnt call it so much a bend as a bloody boomerang. Cant possibly see any way to get the bend out:think:.Its such a shame as this could have been a major player in PE,s range. Having said that they may issue a product recall to fix the probs and keep the customers sweet:lol:, however I dont think there is a hope in hell:thumbdown:. Dont know about you but this definetly puts me off TB1 and the jury is still out on 3 which seems slightly better value:yes: Anyway cheers for the links to the TB2 write ups, yet again its a case of heart rules wallet....pics soon all going well...Steve:thumbup:

Bishop

Alphans
If memory serves you can take the bottom of the pod off. If it is possible to remove the whole thing you could perhaps build one and use the opportunity to cut and shunt a little to get the bend out. I am only guessing. The tail needs lots of work... but whatever you do, don't forget to get the lettering right on the writing on its bum ;) :mrgreen: Looking forward very much to the photos. Your work may pave the way for a lot of people picking up very cheap ones of these and trying out the rebuild themselves