Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

stingray blueprint

dazzo

Alphans

Bishop

Alphans
Looking at that, my PE Stingray's not too bad. I think its front fins may be slopping down slightly too much. Just wish they'd done a decent job on the torpedo tubes.

Thanks for the Blueprint!

Yeah- my PE Stingray is good until you get to the torpedo tubes- PE did not even make a half hearted attempt to do those right.

Stewart_R

Alphans
Thanks, DAZZO, this is awesome!!I too have been searching for these diagrams for some time ,now.Of course, I'll have to scrap my current Stingray scratchbuilds and start over 'cause now I have no excuses for gross inaccuracies.

Mike Delamar

Alphans
excellent, Stingray being one of my all time favourites, I would love to build a studio scale model one day, as soon as I find a glass tap for the propellor:)

Mike

Wardster

Alphans
I presume the image above was originally seen in SIG magazine ... yes/no?

If so, which issue of SIG was it originally seen in?

(If it wasn't seen in SIG, where could that or other blueprints by Mr. Rae be found? Did he do blueprints in some other publication? As a newbie, I'm only aware of the SIG ones.)

On that subject: is there a list of which one of Phil Rae's drawings were in which issue of SIG, once upon a time? As a newbie to all of this stuff, such a list would be very helpful.

dukedexter

Alphans
I presume the image above was originally seen in SIG magazine ... yes/no? If so, which issue of SIG was it originally seen in? (If it wasn't seen in SIG, where could that or other blueprints by Mr. Rae be found? Did he do blueprints in some other publication? As a newbie, I'm only aware of the SIG ones.)

On that subject: is there a list of which one of Phil Rae's drawings were in which issue of SIG, once upon a time? As a newbie to all of this stuff, such a list would be very helpful.

Yes, it's from SIG no. 8. Here's a list of the other blueprints in SIG, all by Phil Rae unless stated.
Issue 3 - Supercar
Issue 4 - SHADO Mobile
Issue 5 - SPV
Issue 6 - Fireball
Issue 7 - TB1
Issue 8 - Stingray
Issue 10 - Eagle
Issue 11 - Joe 90/Mac's Car
Issue 12 - Dove
Issue 13 - UFO

Issue 16 - Sky 1 by Bill Earle
Issue 18 - SID by Bill Oram
Issue 20 - TB2 by Herman Zimmerman

As for the accuracy of the last 3, I can't comment. Someone else here will no doubt know. ;)

The publishers of SIG also brought out a 'blueprint file' featuring Phil's drawings of Supercar, XL5, Mobile and SPV. They're quite old now, but you should be able to find old copies either on eBay or via Dave Nightingale at http://www.startrader.co.uk/

MkIXHawk

Alphans
There was also a pack of drawings from Terrahawks which featured:
Battlehawk
Terrahawk
Battletank
Spacehawk
Hawkwing

They're fairly accurate but I understand that the Battletank required some tweaking to enable a model to be built

Wardster

Alphans
Dave Merriman was documenting a remarkable buildup from these plans on Culttvman, but the updates stopped about halfway through. He probably got fed up with the *********** ********* who couldn't get past his attitude enough to realise they were being spoonfed a masterclass in modelmaking!

Uh-oh.

Having already been involved in several pretty nasty flame-wars in the past, centered on people like me talking well about the man's decades of experience, and his willingness to share that experience with others, versus other's obvious hatred of him for "attitude" or abrasiveness or whatever it is they object to, or claim to... I'll merely throw in that, yes, that Dove "article" (hard to call it that, when it runs to 80-some pages if you print it out!) was superb, outstanding and extremely helpful to those wanting to learn the craft of making scale models, well ... I'll also paraphrase something that David himself has told me, more than once, during or after those flame-wars: "Push away from the keyboard, Ward, and get back to work. You're just wasting valuable shop time."

In other words: I don't wish to put JD (or anyone else!) down, or make this sound like some sort of a rebuke ... but I love the very friendly "tone" on these new-to-me message boards ... and I sincerely hope that we all opt to spend more time in the shop, than over arguing points, one way or another, that will never be put to rest with words.

Some people have one point of view. Others have others. And from my experiences in the past, neither side ever budges one millimeter, even after days of keyboard pounding. It just gets heated and nasty ... and ends up taking away from things like spending productive time in the shop.

My feelings, after having participated in too many flame wars on that topic: those who are in support of Merriman's work and teachings are better off going over to some place like CultTVman's web site, and buying some of the "master class" info on Merriman's DVDs. (I often play my collection of those as background info I half-listen to, while I'm in the shop.) Or even just re-reading that "Dove article" on Cult's site. I get new insights from it, nearly every time I re-read it. It's a shame he never finished it ... whatever the reasons were. :cry:

Just my Dos Centavos, guys. No offense meant to anyone ....

Last edited:

janus5

Alphans
I presume the image above was originally seen in SIG magazine ... yes/no?

If so, which issue of SIG was it originally seen in?

(If it wasn't seen in SIG, where could that or other blueprints by Mr. Rae be found? Did he do blueprints in some other publication? As a newbie, I'm only aware of the SIG ones.)

I bought the Comet Miniatures vac form Stingray kit many years ago, & the instructions included the drawing at the top of this thread.
I threw mine away along with the box & leftover bits after finishing the model, but maybe someone on this forum has one?