Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Stingray models-an appreciation

miger1

Alphans
As a longtime Stingray fan, I've seen probably hundreds of scratch-built and mass produced commercial models (as I'm sure many have) and none really get the shape and form close too that of the original prop models.
Why is this?

An exception was the Airfix/Lyons Maid kit.This was based on the pre-production 'Reg Hill' model owned by Phil Rae, that has been seen at many conventions and displays over the years.

This model although not seen on screen,was loaned to Airfix to take measurements etc to produce their model, so no wonder the kit is very accurate form wise.

The shape of the Stingray craft is complex and just a couple of millimeters too long or short, or a curve a little too tight here and there and it all goes wrong!
--funny that arguably two of Gerry's most enduring craft designs --Stingray and Thunderbird 2 --are the hardest to get right form-wise.

I think the problem may be with both is that many people scratch-build models that take different parts from the many different screen used models (Phil's Stingray drawing is taken from parts of different models for instance) and it comes down to personal taste and the fact that no original screen-used models exist today (it seems!)

The Comet Stingray kit and the Product Enterprise die-cast both seem to be based on Phil Rae's drawing from S.I.G.
Both are good, but seem a bit 'bulbous' and the ratemaster area lifts up on both, which it shouldn't do IMHO.
The 'nose' of the Product Enterprise model is also just too short.

Anyone who has built a Stingray model will also know that it is an absolute killer to paint well!
----(I'm fortunate enough to have a professionally built and painted Comet kit that may have at one time been on display in Comet's store) ---but i'd still dearly love the chance to have a crack at restoring and painting an Airfix Stingray again!!

I'm still looking to replace the Airfix Stingray I had many years ago, so if someone has one in any condition they would sell, please PM me:thumbup:

Meanwhile, we can hope that the 3D printing digital evolution continues and we either get more screen accurate models or even a reverse engineered Airfix kit!

But the beautiful timeless form of the super-sub will continue to enchant (and frustrate) modellers and fans.

seamfiller

Alphans
One of the problems was that the filming miniatures were subtly different, especially around the nose and ratemaster.

Apart from the Airfix/Lyons model, the most representative is the large vinyl WAVE kit. Even with this one it seemed to be pot-luck whether you got the reasonably-shaped ratemaster or the totally unacceptable amorphous lump (like I got landed with).

miger1

Alphans

miger1

Alphans
Oops!! sorry for earlier post!

[/url][/IMG]

Anyone know if this model still exists or is it a contemporary photo from the '60's?

Last edited:

miger1

Alphans
Yeah... it has been on for at least a year or more maybe.
The price is just completely unrealistic.

telster

Alphans
Oh, it's been on there waaayyy longer than that ... it's been on continuously for more than 3 years now & I think it was first upped a couple of years before that.

So long in fact that it's had me wondering what the Ebay record for longest unsold listing is.

Anyway, the BIN price has now dropped so I'll be watching it with renewed interest to see if anybody bites.

(I wonder if mimrie's post & your reply prompted santeclause to drop the asking price!?)

Yeah... it has been on for at least a year or more maybe.
The price is just completely unrealistic.

Cool Caveman

Alphans
Here are my Stingray kits.
It's taken me 35 years to collect these, but now I'm ready to part with them.

Sorry for the TINY image, I can't attach bigger ones with the file size limitations here...

One of the problems was that the filming miniatures were subtly different, especially around the nose and ratemaster.

Apart from the Airfix/Lyons model, the most representative is the large vinyl WAVE kit. Even with this one it seemed to be pot-luck whether you got the reasonably-shaped ratemaster or the totally unacceptable amorphous lump (like I got landed with).

Attachments

• all stingray kitsss.jpg
    all stingray kitsss.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 37

Cool Caveman

Alphans
Great collection there Gordon!!! some really rare ones!1

Thanks!

I love the Pink Ice artwork on the big Paramount kit

The two Midori kits on the immediate left of the Pink Ice kit, the matching Mechanical Fish and Stingray are the most valuable. They are also as mint as they get.

You also have to love the ripoff Thunderboat kit immediately below those - a crazy mutation with one fin on the back of the cabin etc.

miger1

Alphans
Fabulous! Thanks for showing us these m8!

Some of these I've never seen before,so very rare indeed.

Cool Caveman

Alphans
miger1, I've only built a Wave Stingray (not the one in the photo).

Other than that I've only seen photos of other people's built up models.

The collectability would plummet if I made them up. :lol:

How do they look built up! (if you've ever seen them?)