Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Stingray scratchbuild

Stewart_R

Alphans
Here's a project-in-the-works.It's a plexiglass frame with an epoxy and fiberglass shell, topped off with a thin layer of autobody filler.It's 27.5 cm long . That's about 11 inches. This is my third attempt at Stingray, The first resides in South America, and is slightly smaller than this one. The second was a commission piece for my boss' son, who left it in his yard one night and found that his dogs really liked it's flavor.While consoling the poor child, I reassured him that this unfortunate mauling was mearly an excuse to build a bigger, better Stingray.Anyway, here's a few shots:

Fun Pod

Alphans
I was just gonna say the same, Paul ... good job there, Stewart - look forward to pics of the finished fish :thumbup:

Stewart_R

Alphans
Sorry about the problem with the URL. I'm severly computer illiterate :? But we learn by doing!!! And I'll keep you all posted on the progress 8)

hayeseef

Alphans
Sorry to resurect an old post, and sorry if this is a lame question or two. :oops: ..
how did you form the hull? Was it from a mould and if so, where can you get them from?

Thanks...

Stewart_R

Alphans
Yes, I agree,they are definitely legitimate questions.I didn't use a mold for this, I built it from scratch.I was deeply inspired by Martin Bower's build of Stingray, which can be seen on his web page.I then researched this subject, scrutinizing photos and drawings. As I am first and foremost a sculptor, I sculpted a few forms out of modeling clay, getting the feel of the form, working out the logic of the form.Then I drafted a plan and a profile on graph paper,all the while modifying the form, working out the kinks.When I had come up with a satisfactory plan, I then laid down a sheet of plexiglass, perspex in the U.K., and traced the outline with a permanent pen. Then I cut the outline with a Dremel tool. After this, I sculpted the hull form with modeling clay on the plexiglass.When I had achieved the correct form, I brushed on a thick coat of cheap, acrylic paint, let dry and then covered the form with epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth. After this hardened, I removed the top and bottom halves, cleaned out the clay, and glued the two halves to the plexiglass.I then gave it a few ,thin coats of auto body filler, let harden and sanded it smooth, 'rubbed down" as you say across the pond.I then cut out the torpedo holes and the area under the upper cabin and added the rear and side fins and the rate master mounts with sheet styrene.
And I haven't done anything to it since, but it is "on the list"
Oh, and here's a sneak peak at the next bigger, better Stingray, made the same way, but with a more correct hull form.:

Last edited:

Bishop

Alphans
I love the way different people use so many cool tricks for building these things.

Last edited:

DX-SFX

Alphans
I can see them OK.

It's looking very good. Would you mind if I mention that the fins on the side look slightly too wide at their tips and a touch too squared off? Very good in all other respects.

hayeseef

Alphans
Thanks for the info Stewart R..that's given me food for thought!!

Sounds like a well researched and patient process, look forward to seeing more of it.

Stewart_R

Alphans
DX-SFX wrote: "It's looking very good. Would you mind if I mention that the fins on the side look slightly too wide at their tips and a touch too squared off? Very good in all other respects."

I don't mind at all. In fact, this type of feedback is exactly the reason I post my photos!!!You're right, DX-SFX, the shape of the side fins has always been a problem for me and corrections are coming:) Thanks!!!

Stewart_R

Alphans
Here's an update:

I filled in the forward torpedo indentations with a little putty and shaped them with sandpaper, and I began to build up the top cabin with sheet styrene. And I began to modify the shape of the side fins, but I still need to 'fatten' the profile of the fins with some more sheet styrene and a lot of sanding!:)I also began to layout the top side windows, but I haven't cut them out ,yet.

Last edited: