Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Studio Scale SHADO Mobile

w8cmp

Alphans
Has anyone got the studio scale SHADO Mobile that was available from Comet Miniatures a few years ago ? Just wondered if you'd built it...

I have had one since it's release, plus Mamas - the guy who made the models - also sent me a fibreglass body for my build.

I'm just trying to get myself a Tiger Joe tank on Ebay so I can take the shortcut and build this with original wheels etc rather than the resin cast reproductions. Also it will save me having to make up the track from individually cast resin sections as I'll use the ones off the toy.

Should be a pleasing model as and when I get around to building it...

Chris

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
The only problem with the studio sized mobile kit is that it isn't actually studio sized - Too thin, not long enough and too short!
I was given the job of trying to make one look decent a couple of years ago but there are limits to what can be achieved even after cutting it into four pieces to stretch it.

w8cmp

Alphans
Mark42 said:
The only problem with the studio sized mobile kit is that it isn't actually studio sized - Too thin, not long enough and too short!

Does that mean the whole thing is undersized or are any dimensions correct ? What sort of errors are we looking at here in terms of measurements ?

Oh well...I'll have to make the best of it...Not sure I'm up to the major surgery you undertook.

I don't believe anyone else has kitted the Mobile in this large size have they...only scratchbuilds.

Yay...just got myself a Tiger Joe for $46.

Not too bad as there's another up for sale with a starting price of $150 !!!

TonyB

Forum Supporter
Got yourself a bargain there by the looks of it Chris, I look forward to seeing some WiP pictures on the Mobile in the future.

I never bothered with any studio scale kits, I would have liked some of them, but it was lack of anywhere to put them that put me off, I was not prepared to spend all that money and just have them sat in a box gathering dust.

Mind you the two I had looked at getting my hands on, the Shado Mobile and Skydiver had both been heavily criticised for being in accurate by Dave, so all in all my inaction was probably the best decsision to make.

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
I cannot actually remember the dimensions of the kit now - measure it and post them and then DX and I can argue over them(well the length anyway). The casting I worked on was badly formed so that was one problem to sort. I remember cutting it down the middle to widen it - if I remember rightly the hull is only 8 inches wide and it should be 9. Then I cut it across the middle to stretch it but could not raise the roof. I think I also built a new cab and the chassis had to be changed because I think it was a bit too wide - for some strange reason the kit had no axles, the wheels screwed straight to the chassis with no gap.
The thing that made me laugh was that my first thought on seeing the kit box was thinking what had the curved windows been made of? When I opened the box it just included a plain sheet of transparent plastic, bought from a model shop, with the instruction to 'make it yourself'!!

That was a good price for the tank- I was going to bid on it myself. How much is the postage going to cost?

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
At the weekend I printed out the side profile shot of the mobile - scaled up to one of the wheels - and it came out at just touching 21" weren't we arguing at it being 20"??

DX-SFX

Alphans
Was it that much difference? I had a purge of email a couple of days ago so I can't check. Give me a few minutes and I'll try recalculating it again.

I make it 14 3/16th " from the centre of the rear wheel measured to the centre of the front wheel in a straight line. There are 52 track shoes plus one smaller join shoe (i.e. 53) in each track. I came to this figure by pinning my original Tiger Joe wheels and tracks in place to match the side profile shot taking into account any track drape (although it doesn't make much difference). I'd guesstimate that's accurate to within 1/16th" either side based on the profile shot showing the side with a number 3.

Scaling that against the body allowing for (minimal) perspective shift in this case I make it come to 20 1/4" almost exactly.

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
I think the answers obvious- we need to build a series of replicas in slightly different lengths to see which one looks best - Easy!!!

DX-SFX

Alphans
It would take me a year and you a couple of evenings.

What size do you reckon they are? If you ignore my allowance for perspective and curved corners, it comes down to nearer 20". I strongly believe that's just undersized. It's probably somewhere in the middle. The easiest thing would be to take a transparency of the photo and project it.

w8cmp

Alphans
Mark42 said:
The casting I worked on was badly formed so that was one problem to sort.

I have an advantage there in that I have a fibreglass cast which is much better than the resin one - which is as you say badly formed.

I'll dig them out and post some measurements tomorrow...

Mark42 said:
I cannot actually remember the dimensions of the kit now - measure it and post them and then DX and I can argue over them(well the length anyway)

Right...the Maraxian Mobile measures as follows:

O/A Body Length: 19 3/4 inches
Width: 8 inches
Body height (measured half way back - behind cab) 5 3/4 inches

None of the above include running gear - just the main body measurements.

Mark42 said:
That was a good price for the tank- I was going to bid on it myself. How much is the postage going to cost?

Postage cost me $46 airmail insured...same price as the tank...

Do the Tiger Joe tracks actually require some links removed to make them fit. I don't know how many shoes the toy comes with.

And if so, how did you re-join the tracks again (staples ?)

Regards

Chris

DX-SFX

Alphans
The standard tracks are longer but it's relatively easy to shorten. It will be obvious when you see it.

w8cmp

Alphans
Cheers Chris...

For those that haven't seen it, here are my two Mobile hulls with a PE Mobile for comparison...

[/img]

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
On the back of the mobile are two big kit parts from the Airfix Scammel tank transporter that you can measure plus of course you can measure the width of the track(when you get them), then compare them to the standard rear profile photo of the studio model. Simply button pressing on a calculator should tell you that the Mobiles hull is 9 inches across and the roof (if you fill in the curved edges) would be 8 inches. The tracks appear to stick out about 1/4 inch on either side so there 9&1/2 inches across.
The height is probably 6 inches at the most maybe slightly less. The length is causing me/us a bit of a problem - 20-20&1/4 at least I would say. The problem with working off profile photographs is perspective, the camera on the original Mobile profile shots isn't positioned in the middle of the model but more towards the rear, the wheel/tracks are very slightly nearer the camera and square on while the bodywork has round edges and the front end is further away from camera - which I think makes the model look shorter than it was.
'To my eyes' alot of replicas (mine included) and toys the front end always seems to be slightly compacted and the lower hull, under the cabin, never seems to be as long as the studio models. I've been trying to work out the length again as DX seems to like the idea of it being nearer 20" (and some of my calculations have said that)but my problem is that I have a replica in front of me and at the end of the day regardless of calculations you have to fit the original wheels and 53 links of track to the model and they just seem to take up slightly more room than they should!
All of my current pictures seem to be prints from magazines or the internet and I don't trust them - could do with some old fashioned photographs.
Nice price on the toy - the tracks are easy to shorten - but treble check before you cut them.

DX-SFX

Alphans
If you look at the profile shots, on one side the tracks extend beyond the rear body and on the other side they don't. Similarly the tracks are tighter under the cab on one side compared to the other. It suggests the body is not mounted quite as squarely as it should be or it's slightly asymetric. What about taking pics of your current replica and trying to match the perspective of the studio shots and then laying them over the originals in Photoshop to make a comparison? If you can get the wheel base to match, the difference (if any) in body length should be obvious.

w8cmp

Alphans
Just received my Tiger Joe tank through the post...it's a big bu**er !

So - what's the common concensus on removing the wheels and mounting on a Mobile model then ?

Do you take the wheels off the axles and scratch build the Mobile axles and chassis, or is there a way of modifying / using any chassis components from the tank ?

Just looking for some advice before I start the surgery !

Oh and I see what you all mean about the tracks...shouldn't be a problem to shorten them...

Cheers

Chris

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
I used the axles and the round end clips from the toy - just took them off, shortened the axles and refitted them to my mobile. It looks like the original used the same clips - you can just about see them in the profile photographs. While these clips stop the wheels from coming off the ends of the wheels they don't stop them going inwards - so i fitted short pieces of larger diameter sleeving on the axles between the chassis and the wheels to hold everything in position. Remember you don't have to cut the axles to the right length in one go - you might cut them too short! I found it best to cut them leaving a bit of surplus - test them on the model and then cut them down again.

w8cmp

Alphans
Thanks for the tip...I'll be careful about how I shorten those axles...just got to build the lower half of the mobile first - though I don't think I'm going to use the pieces of warped resin supplied in the kit - some perspex or other thick sheet material will be a better solution I think.

Any ideas on what the width of the chassis structure should be ?

I know you said above that the wheels stick out either side of the upper body by about a quarter inch or so, so I suppose I just work backwards from that dimension to get it to all fit...