Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Studio Scale SHADO Mobile

JWGoode

Alphans
Studio Scale Kit

Well.....Some few years ago, we prepared quite a few pages of orthographic plans for the Mobile, an exhaustive study really, to be made into a GRP kit by David Merriman (US FX model maker etc..) a huge Gerry Anderson fan himself & far above being qualified. A major nit-picker & eye for exacting accuracy & detail. We'd also ID'd all of the kit parts (thanks too to Keith Scaife). We had purchased all the kits to tool parts from & had loads of Tiger Joes, this was almost ten years ago so everything was plentiful.

Sean Robinson found me way back then with regard to Mobile parts, (I think Mamas worked on those films too) & I have one of Mike Trim's recent hulls but it can be refined even more.

Now, Mr. Merriman has been totally swamped with his work on the Moebius Seaview kit development, then later the fittings kit to RC that etc...FX work for TV & countless other model work so it's been on the back burner. Even talked to Dave Winspur of Moebius Models last year about doing a commercial studio scale kit of the Mobile, because they do such incredible quality & seeing as we'd done the research & planning,..... while he was enthusiastic he admitted they have far too many others to consider so would put it in the "to do" file for some other day....sigh....(might be time to bring it up to him again however)

BUT in the mean time----it's not inconceivable to at least produce some kind of very nice master from our existing drawings that were intended for kit production & make GRP hulls right with the resources I have locally. If enough of us take the plunge & make a few hull masters as well, I'm sure we'll find one or more we all really like & can all use.

Stay tuned.....
John

JWGoode

Alphans
It's also not inconceivable to find a similar if not the same Chinese outfit that produces the Moebius tooling & performs the injection molding or another outfit. Crazy as it sounds at first----after all, these overseas firms provide a business to paying customers. It would require a significant investment, but again---it's still within the realm of possibility. Certainly vastly less than doing this domestically, & likely not in the hundreds of thousands it took to make the tooling for a plastic "kit" in the past. In the mean time, hull masters from wood or dense modeler's foam.
John

HUNCH

Alphans
Yeah, it would be nice to find someone with the scratch who could pick up the ball and run with it.:yes:
Imagine an accurate injection molded mobile! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

i will put out a shado mobile body if i can get enough orders i have a master pattern sitting in my garage waiting for a mold it will be cast in 2 halfs but split will be done from top to bottom this way sanding will not interfear with the angle and scribed lines i will add pics later of my one i did for a good customer of mine

'Ray:

Can't PM till I get 5 posts up, and don't wanna poke about just to load a few more threads to get the access (not really kosher) Do you have pics of your Shado Mobile body set up yet?

Guys, anyone thought of asking if Dave Merriman and friends (with the Shado parts to make the molds) would release themn in trust to someone else to make the so-called 'kit' if Mobeius won't do it?

I know Moebius is tied up re-issuing the Daniels "Rommel's Rod" kit (I voted for re-issue in 1/16, not 1/24, but will take 1/24!) and a bunch of the others, so I can see why they wouldn't embark on a fresh kit instead of making cash on a recast.

WhiteWolf

Merriman

Alphans
'Ray:

Can't PM till I get 5 posts up, and don't wanna poke about just to load a few more threads to get the access (not really kosher) Do you have pics of your Shado Mobile body set up yet?

Guys, anyone thought of asking if Dave Merriman and friends (with the Shado parts to make the molds) would release themn in trust to someone else to make the so-called 'kit' if Mobeius won't do it?

I know Moebius is tied up re-issuing the Daniels "Rommel's Rod" kit (I voted for re-issue in 1/16, not 1/24, but will take 1/24!) and a bunch of the others, so I can see why they wouldn't embark on a fresh kit instead of making cash on a recast.

WhiteWolf

Not mine to hand out, they belong to Mr. Goode. I'm still 'in the game' and look forward to working up the MOBILE vehicle masters when time permits.

David,

Doug_H

Alphans
'Ray:

WhiteWolf

Mobius is no longer affiliated with Mr Daniel and are not reproducing the kits. Revell is now.

Last edited:
My mistake...

Moebius initiated the re-issue idea, as thats where I voted for the preference of the 1/16 over 1/24 scale issue. Now that I think about it, when I pre-ordered my kit, it was at www.MonstersInMotion.com, even if they do carry both Revell and Moebius kits. Guess I assumed Moebius was still managing it.

Still wish they'd gone for 1/16, with all the R/C kits and R/C-able static kits that are coming out in that scale (like HenLong, Tamiya, Trumpeter, and Wasan) It seems to have started a bit of a resurgence in Verlinden too, as they've made a few figs designed to go with these models.

But back on topic... gotta get a body, and the detailing package...

Any idea on a time-frame on the workup, JW, Dave?

JWGoode

Alphans
There is no time-frame. However no one is more qualified than Merriman to do this, so you won't be disappointed. Really good things take time. It will be worth the wait.
John

shado mobile body list

i would like to establish a list of intrest for the studio shado mobile body and cab with interia i will make a mold if i get enough interest pics to follow

Stingray (and Mr. Merriman/Mr. Goode)

I'm interested, pending a statement on materials used, work/equipment required by the customer (finding discontinued 'detailing' kits isn't fun) and cost.

Pictures of a master would be ~essential~ before I lay out any money, and PayPal with an established rating for monetary security is a must (was diddled by a UK guy for 100 euro on a 6x6 Rodeo a while back; dumped the account, PayPal got me 0.89 back)

WhiteWolf

PS: wonder if one of the crawler guys would be interested in making us a chassis/frame so we can make a decent suspension?

Ah...

Try ~everything~. I have the Tiger Joe tank, and thats about it. No body yet, and no detailing. Thats why I asked about the Merriman/Goode body (w/ or w/o detailing kit)

Would be nice if their kit had all the required detailing too... then all we need to concentrate on is putting it all together.

I know a guy here in NA who makes custom tank parts, he said he could make me suspension arms, wonder if he'd be interested in prototyping a chassis to be added to the body kit? His work is well known amongst the R/C tankers.

JWGoode

Alphans
A great idea. And although we have all the kits to make duplicates to detail the hull, & all the drawings were done some years ago including chassis----again unfortunately who knows 'when'...Maybe enough people will develop their own Mobile portions here on the forum & I'll get out of having to deliver anything! But seriously folks, I'd love to have one too, that's made properly. In the mean time, everyone keep on building!
John

JWGoodeMaybe enough people will develop their own Mobile portions here on the forum & I'll get out of having to deliver anything! John[/QUOTE said:
For shame, JW!

Whats that expression? " Why go with the rest, when you can go with the best? " How about an installments-based kit, starting with those most-excellent (from what been going round) drawings so we can get our dimensions correct? I don't wanna make a chassis to find I've made it too narrow/wide/short/long, and compound the error when I went to the body...

I'd love if it was correctly 1/16 scale as it'd be proportional to my Tamiya tanks & other dio material, but I'll take what I can get if its accurate!

WhiteWolf, Canadian SHADO-fan
Ottawa, Ontario (CFB Uplands)
(w/ CFB Petawawa up the highway)