Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Studio Scale Thunderbird 4

IanStewart

Alphans
I was lucky enought to be given a very large Thunderbird kit. Large meaning 29" long. The detail is very accurate, but it's on a scale that I've not dealt with before.

The component parts are made from an off-white cast resin. There is a lot of excess resin to remove, but the end result should be worth the effort.

It did come with instructions, but they weren't exactly clear.
The first task was to start removing the excess material.

The side pods were flat on the bottom, so they needed to be profiled so that they had the required curve.

I worked on the smaller veins first (smaller means easier to me). I marked the curve needed.

Then a fairly major bit of power-tool hacking began.

Lots of dust ! Eventually it was rough-cut enough to sand the last bit to shape.

There is the front and the rear, two pods, the rear fin - a week-end worth of white dust !

Meritamis

Alphans
We were given it by an enthusiastic Gerry Anderson friend (who doesn't want to be named) so we’ll call him Charn, gave it to us knowing he would never complete it. I'm working on the interior of the model.

I've mainly been looking at the control panel and other parts around it.

I've also came up with a conclusion of what colours the buttons should be.

Last edited:

IanStewart

Alphans
The Work Continues

Next up for the power tools was the nose section. This had a top that needed removing, so that the control console would fit. I used a profile gauge on the control console, so that the section removed would be of the right shape.

Before cutting it out, I laid the pieces together, to get an idea of what the end result might look like.

The resin was about 5mm thick, so I used a jig-saw to make the first rough-cut, and then sanded the cut edge to suit.

It's not a perfect fit, but there's not much I can do about that.

Meritamis

Alphans
We are trying to work out what this is?

It appears to be an eye, probably a transfer from another kit. Obviously it can be clearly seen at the start of every episode on Thunderbird 4 during the opening titles. However, it is not seen on all models. I spotted that the eye appears in Terror In New York City and Operation Crash Dive. This has made me believe that the several models of Thunderbird 4 were made through the entire first series!

If any one has any pictures in HD of Thunderbird 4 where we can see the eye more clearly, then please post it on. And if you have any picture of Thunderbird 4 in general please post them on as well.

Yep, by A+B Models

I wonder if this was slated to become another beautifully detailed and hand-crafted replica created using original plans and reference material of the time, bringing to the collector a unique copy of the models used in the production of this classic show?

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Check this out....

I thought this was interesting:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlJpE9PDfLw&NR=1[/ame]

If anyone has the AB kit (or similar) for sale let me know as I always wanted a big TB4 in my collection.

Good luck with the model, looks to be a quality build so far :thumbup:

Cap'n

2404E

Alphans
I thought this was interesting:

YouTube-movie

If anyone has the AB kit (or similar) for sale let me know as I always wanted a big TB4 in my collection.

Good luck with the model, looks to be a quality build so far :thumbup:

Cap'n

it looks like Gordon is drunk haha

Mike Delamar

Alphans
We are trying to work out what this is?

It appears to be an eye, probably a transfer from another kit. Obviously it can be clearly seen at the start of every episode on Thunderbird 4 during the opening titles. However, it is not seen on all models. I spotted that the eye appears in Terror In New York City and Operation Crash Dive. This has made me believe that the several models of Thunderbird 4 were made through the entire first series!

If any one has any pictures in HD of Thunderbird 4 where we can see the eye more clearly, then please post it on. And if you have any picture of Thunderbird 4 in general please post them on as well.

I hope you can find this out, id be sure itll be from a decal of one of the kits used but just cant make it out. itd be worth getting this as a hd image.

Mike

Meritamis

Alphans
I hope you can find this out, id be sure itll be from a decal of one of the kits used but just cant make it out. itd be worth getting this as a hd image.

Mike

Thanks Mike

What do you think about putting it on. It doesn't appear in all episodes and Ian certainly doesn't want it.

Do you have any other screen grabs of Thunderbird 4, they'd be really helpful if you could post them on.

Meritamis

Mike Delamar

Alphans
yeah i did loads on a previous thread, will try and find it,

Id leave it off until you can find out what it is, then put it on :)

Mike

IanStewart

Alphans
Work Continues

More progress.

Here is the cockpit

The back wall

Getting the back wall to fit was very difficult. The two outer halves were uneven in thickness. I had to chop a fair bit of resin off of the back wall, to make it fit. There were some gaps before I started.

This shows the control console

This was one solid block of resin, which will make the finished model very front heavy, so there is little chance of it floating.

The figure of Gordon was rather good, except that these were quite a few nasty voids. There were filled with 'Green stuff'

The cowling pieces got sanded down to fit.

I'll need to fill in the joins with some kind of filler.

I started to give some thought to the painting. We had a small model of Thunderbird 4 that seemd to have a fairly good colour. The best match seemed to be a B&Q buttercup yellow.

I sprayed an off-cut of resin, and the result seemed to be as close as I could hope for. The strange thing is that the colour looks fine indoors, but wrong when outdoors.

JD

Alphans
I started to give some thought to the painting. We had a small model of Thunderbird 4 that seemd to have a fairly good colour. The best match seemed to be a B&Q buttercup yellow.

Here's a scan of the original blueprints, as they appeared in issue 6 of Century21 in 1991:

click thumbnail for large 2500x1750 image

The text regarding the colours reads:

Shaded bands: BSI.570 Traffic Red
Colour overall: BSI.309 Canary Yellow
Nos-lettering: Black

Thought it might help! :D

paul gray

Forum Supporter
hi Ian
i would take the colour codes JD has posted and go through the yellow pages or google for a car paint shop and get the paint made up for you. you dont want to waste all the time and effort you have put in by building TB4 and paint it the wrong colour. it will be worth paying a bit more to get the right colour. also these companies will put the paint in a spray for you if you dont have an airbrush. or if that's no good ,Halfords can now make up paint and also have a good range of ready made up cans. good luck with the project
cheers Paul

Last edited:

Bishop

Alphans
Two things strike me, 1. just how much you're going to have to fill to get this right... P38 to the rescue I think (but patience will see it looking great) and 2. just how crappy the fins on the rear of the "exhaust" pipes of the TB4 model being lowered down the side of the ship is. That cockpit looks great and will really bring this to life when its all together. :thumbup:

Meritamis

Alphans
I noticed something inside Thunderbird 4.

Day Of Disaster
Desperate Intruder​

As you can see the Autolock has appeared on both sides of Thunderbird 4. I am now presuming that two sets were made of Thunderbird 4. From my research, the Airlock has appeared more times on the right side (ect: Desperate Intruder) rather than the left side (Day Of Disaster).