Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

TB1 Mobile Control Unit

mimrie

Alphans
Hi all,
Hope everyone is keeping well and using their lockdown time constructively.
This is one of the many projects I've been working on....the Thunderbird 1 Mobile Control Unit.
I made this all in Cinema4D (V20). I started with a screen grab from Vault of Death (VoD_ScreenGrab.jpg) and used the camera calibrator in C4D to set up a camera to allow matching of the geometry; Blocking.jpg shows my first rough blocking in. There was then a lengthy process of refining the geometry, with lots of reference to my Revell Custom Car Parts, until the final state was achieved.

I have included an image of the final wireframe superimposed on the original screen grab (EndMatch.jpg).

There are small areas of mismatch between model and image;
1. The whole of the overhead section could have been .25 or .5 inch deeper but would then have protruded beyond the back of the main desk. I could find no screen image to comfirm or refute an overhang and I thought it unlikely the it would have been designed that way.
2. The swivel desk was impossible to match exactly, I think because it is rotated on more than one axis (the near end tips down a little bit)
3. I ended up with the main desk measuring 31 inches long; I suspect that this was actually 30 inches but couldn't work out where to remove the offending inch so just left it as is.

Overall though, I was really happy with how this turned out and would be grateful for your opinions.

As a postscript, I have been playing with a CAD package and have transcribed the basic geometry of the model into it to enable schematices to be produced; happy to post these if anyone is interested.

All the best, keep well,

Mick

Attachments

• Blocking.jpg
    Blocking.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 15
  • EndMatch.jpg
    EndMatch.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 16
  • FinalMCU01.jpg
    FinalMCU01.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 17
  • FinalMCU02.jpg
    FinalMCU02.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 17
  • VoD_ScreenGrab.jpg
    VoD_ScreenGrab.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 14

karr1981

Assistant Commander
Staff member
Hi Mate,

Great work as always.

Sorry we haven't been in touch in ages, things have been hectic, could you pm me a contact number as we would love to have a catch up chat as lots to discuss :)