Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

TB1 Pilot Chair

mimrie

Alphans
All modeling done in Cinema 4D; still a few minor bits to do and then the texturing.
Comments please.
If there's any interest I might produce some schematics from the model.

Mick

Attachments

• ScottsChair_04b.jpg
    ScottsChair_04b.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 91

Ham Salad

Alphans
All modeling done in Cinema 4D; still a few minor bits to do and then the texturing.
Comments please.
If there's any interest I might produce some schematics from the model.

Mick

It looks like they used volkswagen upholstery for the back...I notice that was used in a lot of SF TV shows and movies....

mimrie

Alphans
So, not quite puppet size but the next best thing...

I did this some time ago as a way of displaying my Big Chief Scott. The pictures show the model without any post processing apart from assembly (and the numbers filled in on the Bulgin knobs and brass top on the 'cupcake')

All feedback welcome

Mick

Attachments

• ScottsChair_01.jpg
    ScottsChair_01.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 49
  • ScottsChair_02.jpg
    ScottsChair_02.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 46
  • ScottsChair_03.jpg
    ScottsChair_03.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 40
  • ScottsChair_05.jpg
    ScottsChair_05.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 40
  • ScottsChair_06.jpg
    ScottsChair_06.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 37

telster

Alphans
That's superb!

If you do produce schematics or kit this then please update the thread - I'd be very interested indeed.

mimrie

Alphans
Thanks for your support guys.
My original plan was always to market this model however it takes forever to print out a full set of parts so I can only comfortably print 1 a week using my 2 printers. I considered casting from 3d printed masters but have zero experience and there's quite a set up cost involved. So in the end I wasn't sure it was financially viable; the models would probably have to be priced at £80 to £100 and I couldn't see much uptake at that price.

The other thing that put me off at the time was the quality of the small parts printed on FDM printers; I think this is largely overcome now with the advent of cheap resin printers which have a much higher resolution. I have just bought such a printer (still un-boxed) to give it a go.

Orthographic drawings of each part of the model would be relatively easy to produce if there was any interest, the original CG model was done at puppet scale and scaled down to just under 60% for the Big Chief version. It would be easy to give either or both sets of dimensions. I did ask when I first posted if anyone was interested in schematics but got zero feedback.

Mick

Attachments

• MicrophoneParts.jpg
    MicrophoneParts.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Armrest Parts.jpg
    Armrest Parts.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Main Chair Parts.jpg
    Main Chair Parts.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 25

nialle46

Forum Supporter
TB1 Chair

Thanks for your support guys.
My original plan was always to market this model however it takes forever to print out a full set of parts so I can only comfortably print 1 a week using my 2 printers. I considered casting from 3d printed masters but have zero experience and there's quite a set up cost involved. So in the end I wasn't sure it was financially viable; the models would probably have to be priced at £80 to £100 and I couldn't see much uptake at that price.

The other thing that put me off at the time was the quality of the small parts printed on FDM printers; I think this is largely overcome now with the advent of cheap resin printers which have a much higher resolution. I have just bought such a printer (still un-boxed) to give it a go.

Orthographic drawings of each part of the model would be relatively easy to produce if there was any interest, the original CG model was done at puppet scale and scaled down to just under 60% for the Big Chief version. It would be easy to give either or both sets of dimensions. I did ask when I first posted if anyone was interested in schematics but got zero feedback.

Mick
The Chair for the BigChief Scott should be half the size of the full size Puppet one as the Big Chief figure is 1/6 scale and the Puppet is 1/3 scale, hope this helps, great job on the chair, regards Niall.

mimrie

Alphans
Hi Niall,
Yes, I've puzzled over this myself. Like you I assumed that the chair should be 50% the size of the puppet version, however when I printed it out it was obviously far too small. So I estimated how much to size it up so the top of Scott's head is just below the top of the seat back and arrived at 60% of puppet scale; the images of the chair in this thread are scaled to that size.

Confusingly Scott does move about a bit in his seat and the camera angles sometimes make it look as if the top of his head is well above the seat back, so I did experiment with an in-between scale of about 57% of puppet size where his head is just at the level of the seat back.

I'm not an expert on the puppets and don't know whether the body proportions of the Big Chief replicas are the same as the puppets. The Big Chief Scott is 13 inches tall which would make the puppet 26 inches and that seems about right but are the torso/leg lengths the same as the puppets, I gather height differences between the puppets were often due to thigh lengthening rather than just up-scaling the whole body.

I don't have any of the other Big Chief replicas, but in the pictures it looks like all the Tracey family are the same height; presumably only the heads are different.

Finally, I extracted the geometry for the model by a photo-matching technique using screen grabs; this is never going to be completely accurate and so I checked the measurements I was getting against items of known size eg. the Bulgin knobs, the cupcake knob (as seen on the Hofner Violin Bass), the Revell car grills and wheel parts and the indicator switch boxes; I don't think I'm too far off.
Anyway, whatever the reason I've empirically settled on about 60% of puppet scale when making models for the Big Chief replicas.

The pics show Scott sitting low and high in the chair and a comparison of the scales I've printed the chair at 50,57 and 60% of puppet size.

Mick

Attachments

• ScottSittingLow.jpg
    ScottSittingLow.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 20
  • ScottSittingTall.jpg
    ScottSittingTall.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 17
  • ScottsChairScales.jpg
    ScottsChairScales.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 18

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Hat Trick?

Wondering too whether scenes aboard TB1 where Scott is shown wearing his IR cap might well exacerbate things a bit further... :think:

nialle46

Forum Supporter
Hi Niall,
Yes, I've puzzled over this myself. Like you I assumed that the chair should be 50% the size of the puppet version, however when I printed it out it was obviously far too small. So I estimated how much to size it up so the top of Scott's head is just below the top of the seat back and arrived at 60% of puppet scale; the images of the chair in this thread are scaled to that size.

Confusingly Scott does move about a bit in his seat and the camera angles sometimes make it look as if the top of his head is well above the seat back, so I did experiment with an in-between scale of about 57% of puppet size where his head is just at the level of the seat back.

I'm not an expert on the puppets and don't know whether the body proportions of the Big Chief replicas are the same as the puppets. The Big Chief Scott is 13 inches tall which would make the puppet 26 inches and that seems about right but are the torso/leg lengths the same as the puppets, I gather height differences between the puppets were often due to thigh lengthening rather than just up-scaling the whole body.

I don't have any of the other Big Chief replicas, but in the pictures it looks like all the Tracey family are the same height; presumably only the heads are different.

Finally, I extracted the geometry for the model by a photo-matching technique using screen grabs; this is never going to be completely accurate and so I checked the measurements I was getting against items of known size eg. the Bulgin knobs, the cupcake knob (as seen on the Hofner Violin Bass), the Revell car grills and wheel parts and the indicator switch boxes; I don't think I'm too far off.
Anyway, whatever the reason I've empirically settled on about 60% of puppet scale when making models for the Big Chief replicas.

The pics show Scott sitting low and high in the chair and a comparison of the scales I've printed the chair at 50,57 and 60% of puppet size.

Mick

Hi Mick, it looks lovely, I'm no expert but I think the Thunderbirds puppets are around 21" tall although Scott is taller than his brothers, anyway great job.

mimrie

Alphans
I found Face Ache's piece about the Scott puppet in the puppet thread....he's got Scott as 1 inch taller than Lady Penelope who is 21 inches (without her hair). So if Scott is 22 inches tall then the Big Chief replica, at 13 inches, is 59% of puppet scale.

Mick

nialle46

Forum Supporter
I found Face Ache's piece about the Scott puppet in the puppet thread....he's got Scott as 1 inch taller than Lady Penelope who is 21 inches (without her hair). So if Scott is 22 inches tall then the Big Chief replica, at 13 inches, is 59% of puppet scale.

Mick

Hi Mick, yea sounds right.