Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

TB2 Paint colour

Bishop

Alphans
Is it me or has the site been down all afternoon? Anyway, while on last time I tried posting this.

Please don't hit me everyone, but what is the name of the closest spray can colour for TB2? I almost want to use Tamiya Olive Green (USAF), but its really not yellow enough. (needs to be a lighter olive) I'm doing up a Dinky (sec version) one. Its not meant to be as original (blue :thumbdown:) and the colour doesn't have to be exact, but I want it to look credible... that means not using Chinese dark green etc

I really think its time I bought an air brush so I could mix the stuff. I just need to convince my wife that's all. She's convinced. :O :dance: :#:Much cheaper than buying all these cans all the time... after the one off expense at the start. I shall revisit that thread and go looking... but I still need the can of paint for this so any thoughts would be most appreciated

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
Yes I think I used that one, it looks fairly horrible when you first put it on but after all the weatherings done its a pretty good colour.

Bishop

Alphans
I may have to get it mixed up at a specific place in Adelaide... and then buy the air brush. Does anyone one of our Australian members know if this is made by any company in AU?

Bishop

Alphans
I've found some of the Humbrol Satin green we've been talking about on another thread. Now I just need an air brush.

DX-SFX

Alphans
I've just come back from the Model Engineering show at Alexandra Palace and two thoughts occured to me that I don't think anyone has considered. Firstly, is it possible that TB 2 was painted using a Trimite colour? You frequently see tins of Trimite paint on the studio bench and in racks in photos from the period. The second option, directly inspired by visit to the show, was TB 2 painted in a railway colour? Humbrol certainly had a railway authentic colour range at the time, now long defunct. I took the opportunity to buy several possible railway shades from Precision Paints who had a stand at the show. I'm betting a couple of them are pretty close.

MkIXHawk

Alphans
The thought about Trimite occurred to me too; There's at least one photo of the large scale TB2 Nose Section being worked on (the yellow striping round the RED VTOL nozzles was being applied and on the bench was a tin of Trimite paint. It's difficult to make out the exact colour of the drips but the shade is about right

TVC21

Alphans
I always assumed the Trimite was (solely) for the puppet heads, because its flexible when it dries to allow for lip movement. The original SPC appears to be painted in a gloss enamel.

Steve Zodiac

Alphans
I don't think it's railway shade, it's not one that rings any bells with me. (Yes, sorry, I'm a railway enthusiast as well!!)

captain_Ed

Alphans
Re Trimite - my first post!

Ahhh yes - Trimite! They are still going strong and yes, I believe the cellulose paint they used on the models was Trimite. I had a chat with Mike Trim at the last Fanderson convention and he confirmed that Derek Meddings would come up with a colour for a particular model ( sometimes based on a car colour that he had seen) and the modelmaker would go away and mix the paint in a pot with a stick and then bring it back to see if it was ok! All very technical I'm sure. Hope this helps someone somewhere lol
Cheers Eddie

captain_Ed

Alphans
oh by the way - second post :D

Forgot to say that Mike Trim also said that the Thunderbird 2 colour was slightly more towards the blue than the yellow end of the spectrum!

Eddie

captain_Ed

Alphans
Thank you

Thank you for the welcome. I'm already enjoying myself here. Loads of teriffic stuff. Superb pics and intresting info. I think I'll be here for some time to come!
Eddie