Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

The Anderson Fonts Thread

Slate Mcleod

Alphans
I've noticed recently lots of really useful information popping up all over the forums. Whilst this is great, it makes it hard to track back and search for info as something can be lost in a totally random thread. A few of us were discussing fonts in another thread earlier today and already I've forgotten which one it was! I thought a "sticky" thread on Anderson fonts was a good idea. Lets's see what we can nail down here.

I'll start with the Thunderbirds vehicles (specifically Thunderbirds One to Five) but these may have been used on some of the pod vehicles as well.

Futura Bold for the large "1" through to "5" numbers and also on the Thunderbird 2 pods (Except larger Pod mock-up exterior from "Thunderbird 6" movie. Grotesque MT condensed was generally the lettering on all of the ships but I'm still not certain about Thunderbird 2 as this appears differently. Thunderbird 3 also appears to use Mekanik.

Slate

TVC21

Alphans
I would love to know what the font is for the `IR` in silver letters on the Thunderbirds puppets hats. In fact, I`d love to know what the letters where that they used as I `m sure it would have been something commercially available

tak5haka

Alphans
Hate to be a stickler, but I would dispute Futura Bold as the numbering font, the shapes of the numbers just don't match visually - particularly the 1, but also the others if you carefully compare them.

DX-SFX

Alphans
The numbers are Futura Bold. The '1' was tweaked to look more like a 1. The word 'Thunderbird' on TB1 is Univers 59. The name 'Thunderbird 5' is Compacta. The name 'Thunderbird' on TB3 is Grotesque 9. The black 3 on TB3 is Compacta.

Last edited:

tak5haka

Alphans
Aha! Found out why it looked odd to me - I have a couple of different versions of Futura from different foundries - one has some subtle but noticeable differences in the letterforms, the other is bang on!

My lesson for today - check more than one source and drink more coffee before replying to posts ... ;)

Gaétan

Alphans
Hello guys

Just a suggestion;

I think this tread should get the ''sticky'' treatment as an invaluable resource. Or make a ''definitive'' Table of the Anderson/Medding's fonts after all revisions and keep it STICKY......

Gaétan

Bishop

Alphans
Agreed, we could add fonts for other Anderson vehicles such as the SPV as well. This would be a great resource.

telster

Alphans
The numbers are Futura Bold. The '1' was tweaked to look more like a 1. The word 'Thunderbird' on TB1 is Univers 59. The name 'Thunderbird 5' is Compacta. The name 'Thunderbird' on TB3 is Grotesque 9. The black 3 on TB3 is Compacta.

Hi DX-SFX - hope you don't mind if I pick your brain further. I remember this thread - http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4483&page=3 - where you gave an estimation for the size of the TB1 Launch model based on part on the font. This makes me think that you must also have information on the point-size of the fonts used on this model???

Cheers
Tel

DX-SFX

Alphans
The Univers 59 font used on the TV launch TB1 model is 72pt or 19.1mm. I recommend old Letraset catalogues rather than online sources for fonts because often the electronic versions differ in subtle ways to the original Letraset sheets.

Slate Mcleod

Alphans
Brilliant. We have great information already and put a few myths about the Thunderbirds fonts to bed at last. Any more info any of you have on Anderson Fonts fior any vehicle would be great. Once we're all agreed I'll produce some graphics like the one's I started with but corrected versions.

Slate

TVC21

Alphans
So does anyone know what the IR on the Tbirds puppet hats is made from then? C`mon, somebody here must know!

DX-SFX

Alphans
I'm afraid none of my reference shows anything even close. I can remember having one of these magnetic titling sets for old 8mm home movies. The plastic letters in the set were the identical font but I've no idea where it came from or who the manufacturer was. All the letters had little magnetic strips on the back of them and you used to arrange them on a thin sheet steel backing that was painted black. The "THUNDERBIRDS" title font is called Playbill and the IR letters are similar to an extended version of that font except the leg of the R is different.

telster

Alphans
The Univers 59 font used on the TV launch TB1 model is 72pt or 19.1mm. I recommend old Letraset catalogues rather than online sources for fonts because often the electronic versions differ in subtle ways to the original Letraset sheets.

Excellent - thanks DX.

Tel