Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

The Hoth Rifle

I've been working on a Rebel Hoth Trench Trooper costume for the Rebel Legion for some weeks now and as part of that I decided I wanted to include the rifle (the Blastech A-280C or A-295 depending on your point of view). This is an optional item for clearing the costume but a big gun always looks good.
My choices for this were:
Source an accurate replica (3d printed or cast).
Modify a replica Stg-44 (air soft or denex).
Scratch build one.

Although I was able to find someone producing 3d printed gun it was pretty pricey and I couldn't tell how accurate it was so I decided that was out.
The possibility of modifying a replica proved a problem. A denex is made of metal and thus heavy (although this was the cheapest of the off the shelf starting points) while an airsoit gun was the most expensive option, too expensive for me.
That just left me with building the gun from scratch.

I bought a denex replica as a guide to work from and from there got to work with some plastic waste pipe the main body and plasticard for the grip and magazine housing.

Attachments

• hothrifle1.jpg
    hothrifle1.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 11
With more details added in the form of more plastic pipe around the original and various bits of plasticard on the grip and magazine housing. Plus balsa wood grips that have since been replaced with neater plain ones.
The muzzle is made from bits of plastic tubing that happened to fit together.

Attachments

• gripdetailedleft.jpg
    gripdetailedleft.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 7
  • gripdetailedright.jpg
    gripdetailedright.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 6
  • bodyleft.jpg
    bodyleft.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 6
  • bodyright.jpg
    bodyright.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 3
Some more details and putting the two main parts together.

Attachments

• noscopeleft.jpg
    noscopeleft.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 9
  • noscoperight.jpg
    noscoperight.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 12
The completed build. I altered the stock, shortening it and adding some wider tube made from more plumbing pipe and a glue stick to give it a look more in proportion with the original. The scope uses a mix of plasticard, balsa wood, more plumbing pipe and the container from chocolate mini eggs.

I'll post pictures of the painted model in the appropriate sub forum.

Attachments

• builtright.jpg
    builtright.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 12
  • builtleft.jpg
    builtleft.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 8

Ham Salad

Alphans
I'm not familiar with that prop but this looks pretty good!

Well, there were 2 types: originally, it was designed for The Empire strikes back for the rebel troopers in the snow battle on hoth...they used german world war 2 STG 44 rifles (probably rented) with junk on them, as per standard star wars prop methodology. However, when they shot Return Of the jedi, the 'endor ' scenes were shot in California, not europe...and STG's are in relatively shorter supply there. So, for many of the endor rifles were AR-15's faked up to LOOK like Stg44's (so they could fire blanks) . That's why there are two 'types'.

KevinD

Alphans
Ah, I see. I'm not really sure why Star Wars props don't do it for me. They are stylish designs, clever and varied yet I don't ever make them? (except for one light sabre I made).

Ham Salad

Alphans
Ah, I see. I'm not really sure why Star Wars props don't do it for me. They are stylish designs, clever and varied yet I don't ever make them? (except for one light sabre I made).
Well, a lot of people make them for star wars costumes...the funny thing is, so many of them know all the designations and model numbers, but I've made 8 of them and can't remember that stuff...going all the way back to 1976. I dunno where they got all those model numbers from, they certainly didn't exist back then.

Well, a lot of people make them for star wars costumes...the funny thing is, so many of them know all the designations and model numbers, but I've made 8 of them and can't remember that stuff...going all the way back to 1976. I dunno where they got all those model numbers from, they certainly didn't exist back then.

As far as I know the model numbers of blasters are not given on screen. The information generally comes from the production background books such as the visual dictionaries.