Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

The new Dalek

ChrisofEDF

Alphans

A work in progress picture more or less, still have the back to do, might try a few color schemes as well, hope you like. :)

I must confess after modelling the design its growing on me much more, except for that vent at the back.

Model looks great - not sold on the new shape yet I think the vent might have looked better at the front plus the "bulge" at the back isn't very flattering

pjskeldon

Alphans
Hate the new design, but love Daleks - need a psychiatrist.
The Sun has a pretty good shot of the back of Blue Dalek here.

By the way, what software are you using? I'm having difficulty getting the 'balls' placed accurately (without manually placing each one) in Softimage and Maya. Any tips?

Phil.

ChrisofEDF

Alphans
Hate the new design, but love Daleks - need a psychiatrist.
The Sun has a pretty good shot of the back of Blue Dalek here.

By the way, what software are you using? I'm having difficulty getting the 'balls' placed accurately (without manually placing each one) in Softimage and Maya. Any tips?

Phil.

Seeing as i have the ability to take the bulge away they really do look great without it, i wonder what is for.

Don't worry i love them too, making the Comet Miniatures Dalek along side this and accidentally severed the tip of my finger on a stanly blade. Suffering for art much?

Cheers for the link it'l help, I use VUE 8 and simply 3d, ive never used maya but all i do is copy and paste the set of 4 retaining the y Axis and shift them horizontally into position, hope it helps. :)

Wholey crap! I had no idea!

After Mike Tucker's subtle excellently-detailed upgrade had it so right, they go and do this?!!

Lego Daleks!! :sick: :thumbdown:

Sorry should have probably put "spoilers" in the thread title :?

I have a feeling we'll need to see it in action before we like it more.

pjskeldon

Alphans
Seeing as i have the ability to take the bulge away they really do look great without it, i wonder what is for.

According to the new Doctor Who magazine (421) that's just dropped through my letterbox today...

Page 55

"There is also now the back section or spine to the new Dalek, which I suggested would open up to produce various different weapons, which could swing round the mid-section to replace the regular weapons, which was really a suggestion for future opportunities. It's there if the writers want to use it."
Peter McKinstry - "...the man behind the multi-coloured menaces."

So Swiss-Army Daleks now is it?:wtf:

alfalfa

Alphans
The hot assistant, Mr Potato head and the same monsters week in week out. My kids are sick of Cybermen and Daleks.

At least mix it up with some Silurians, Ice Warriors and Sea Devils. OR, you could come up with some different NEW monsters.

Nice render BTW.

Interceptor6

Alphans
Still haven't seen the new D's in action, as our DVR didn't record(or the cable company screwed up) on Saturday. Odd look to them, hope they s'plain the hunchback.
The heavy use of primary colors make them look "candy-coated" lends itself to candy sales~!~
OOoohhh!... i want the lemon Dalek!!

alfalfa

Alphans
Still haven't seen the new D's in action, as our DVR didn't record(or the cable company screwed up) on Saturday. Odd look to them, hope they s'plain the hunchback.
The heavy use of primary colors make them look "candy-coated" lends itself to candy sales~!~
OOoohhh!... i want the lemon Dalek!!

MMMM, Dalek Crunchies.:D

Images 7/10 don't look too bad and the 'hump' is less pronounced, it appears the builders misread the concept artists drawing perhaps.

Totally agree. Image 7 is definitely cool looking in a retro way. Now, just drop the primary colored Daleks and go with silver, dark grey or black and I'm in. Though to be honest, Moffat could go two seasons with no Daleks and I would be a very happy man. I gotta go with everybody else on this--I'm sick of Daleks and anything to do with them. RTD used them to death. "Time of the Angels" and even "Beast Below" worked because they brought in fresh ideas. The new Dalek episode, not so much!

ChrisofEDF

Alphans
"There is also now the back section or spine to the new Dalek, which I suggested would open up to produce various different weapons, which could swing round the mid-section to replace the regular weapons, which was really a suggestion for future opportunities. It's there if the writers want to use it."
Peter McKinstry - "...the man behind the multi-coloured menaces."

So Swiss-Army Daleks now is it?:wtf:

That might be interesting, i hope the midsection can turn, there appendages look pretty ridgid, more so than the origionals. I wonder how long it will take them to get cold feet and rewrite the Dalek- Victory of the Daleks ones back in.

Did a few more renders, one on an alien planet and one with more tradiional colors, enjoy.:)

Slate Mcleod

Alphans
I can't help thinking that this "new" Dalek design actually has origins here...

...except the one in the pic is far better in my opinion! This design goes way back and the full size prop has been in fan circles some time now. Note the ball joint on the eye-stalk just like the "new" Daleks and the large "ring" around the weapons boxes and enlarged "fender". More images here :

http://www.scifiscoop.com/news/dalek-storm-the-coolest-dalek-in-town/

Just goes to prove the fan built creations are just as good...if not better designs than the BBC ones.

Slate

Alphans

Just goes to prove the fan built creations are just as good...if not better designs than the BBC ones.

Too right. I've just seen that video of the life size RC Storm Dalek. That looks the dogs! More importantly, it looks authentic.

So, when are BBC going to replace K9 with the Noo Noo? :roll:

ChrisofEDF

Alphans
hate the new daleks, not menacing at all.don't you just want to cuddle one?

Well arguably how menacing they are is all down to how they're Directed. For me they lost most of they re credibility and menace as soon as they hit color with the possible exception in Genesis and the prison attack in Resurrection (until they get blown up). They got some of the menace back in Dalek and Parting of the Ways but since then they've been a bit of a joke.

So far all the Victory Daleks have done is cower at a Jammie doger and run away, they can be menacing depending on what they do and how they're shown.

Last edited:
Just to clear things up these new Daleks come from an alternative time line and have nothing to do with the glories of my race ;)

Seriously though ummmm :think: I quite like them but wish that the middle section was less pronounced and the back hump that makes them look like the poor models Dapol came up with years ago was not there. In fact in many ways these new Daleks look exactly like Dapol Daleks.

The only element of the most recent Dalek design that I liked was the central section ability to rotate thus facilitating rearward firing. Other than that though the recent Daleks lacked the identification between ranks that the colour coding allowed. All Daleks are colour coded to denote rank and function so the new Dalek design takes us back to that. I for one welcome that.

However this season I really fear for the Silurians :( Having seen a few clips they look to be another joke monster...there was imho nothing wrong with the original design. God help the Ice Warriors if they come back at some point.

Back to the new series, full of plot holes, silly story lines rubbish monster so far :thumbdown: though part 1 of the weeping angels return was quite good.

I had high hopes for Steve Moffat so far they have not been realised. Spitfires attacking a Dalek battlecruiser what a joke :cry:..a few moments could have been taken to introduce Dalek prototype Spitfires, with Dalek disuptors and space flight capability.

Anyway time will tell if the rest of this season is as bad as it has been so far. On a positive note I like Matt Smith.

Regards Neil