Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

The Proteus from fantastic voyage

matteline

Alphans
I am working on the Moebius 1/32nd scale 'Proteus' from the 1966 movie 'fantastic voyage'.
It's a decent kit (should be for $125) and looks great in the box... but as you start looking at it several inaccuracies become apparent. All are fixable. But given that for once, there is a Sci-Fi movie vehicle where there was a complete full-size mock-up - with an interior (that actually fits inside!) it should be 100% accurate! Often the kit-makers are trying to combine live-action set pieces and/or several models.

I am chronicling the project, and have made 2 videos so far which are posted on 'Youtube';

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZxWGdOyPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46b8dUlPB_o&t=264s

Attachments

• 20180129_174554.jpg
    20180129_174554.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 22
The kit can only be as accurate as the records which were kept from the original set prop construction- which was about 52 years ago (aside from kit production compromises)

I am watching your build with interest- I have one of these kits in my closet of doom waiting...

matteline

Alphans
I agree that it can only as accurate as the original records. But the movie 'fantastic voyage' is a very thorough document! Looking at the DVD of the film - which is all I am doing - reveals quite obvious and significant errors which the folks at Moebius should have got right.

IMO the very best model kit of this subject is Drew's (Crows Nest) 1:48 resin kit- out of production now. He named his company after the incident during filming when the production team was drying out the smallest filming model (1 1/2") when a crow flew to the window sill and stole it.
I really wanted his kit but it was just too expensive at the time. He wanted to make smaller editions (1:72 & 1:144) but had trouble digitally printing the masters.