Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

The Stingray Museum

TerraForm1

Alphans
Does anyone remember this excellent website? (I think I got the name right). If memory serves, it was created by a fellow who was born in the UK and had been living/ working in Japan as an adult (a photographer maybe?). Anyway, it was one of the first online resources for collected information and images of vintage merchandising for Stingray and was very comprehensive. It featured the site creator's own collection and was active during the late 1990's but then quietly disappeared... It's sad to see resources like this one vanish. I tried the WayBack Machine but it came up blank.
Cheers,
T'Form1

TerraForm1

Alphans
The Stingray Memorabilia Museum - Info Update:

OK, I checked my files and came across some notes I made ages ago:
The site was actually called "The Stingray Memorabilia Museum" and the site creator was one, Gordon O'Byrne. The URL (which is long gone) was: http://www.marineville.com/

I wonder if Mr. O'Byrne is still around. If he ever reads this: Thanks mate! Your site was one of the first, great resources for what was made back in the 60's and I really enjoyed visiting it.
T"Form1

Gordon's site was fantastic and very nicely laid out. Not sure what happened to it... But I did buy a Lincoln Stingray and a Eidai Grip Stingray from him about 6 years ago, lovely bloke.

miger1

Alphans
Yes, i loved this site when it was open!
Gordon O'Byrne ran it and he had some fantastic items------he even sent me a scan of the Airfix Stingray instruction sheet!
I was looking for the site info too, some time ago, hoping to grab some pictures.
Much missed resource.

T'Form1, where are those pics? :)

Last edited:

TerraForm1

Alphans
MikeMercury & Miger1: - Thanks for the input guys. I'm glad the museum site is fondly remembered by more than just myself.
Miger1 - The Lincoln Stingray pics will be up later tonight, North American time.
T'Form1

I think somewhere I have a floppy disc or maybe a zip drive with all the photo's from his site that I downloaded as reference back in the day, if I can find them and if I can get in touch with Gordon (and he doesn't mind) maybe I'll post them up on here... they were very well done pics of some very rare items.

TerraForm1

Alphans
"I think somewhere I have a floppy disc or maybe a zip drive with all the photo's from his site that I downloaded as reference back in the day,..."

That would be great if it all falls into place MikeMercury. Yes, I remember Gordon's photos were very well composed and shot. The whole site had a consistent feel to it which is rare when vintage toys are presented online.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Keep following this up....

I think somewhere I have a floppy disc or maybe a zip drive with all the photo's from his site that I downloaded as reference back in the day, if I can find them and if I can get in touch with Gordon (and he doesn't mind) maybe I'll post them up on here... they were very well done pics of some very rare items.

Hi Mike,

Did you have any luck as yet?

I don't mind recreating his whole site if he still has all the info. Ask Gordon to make contact with me: admin@eagletransporter.com obviously I will need his permission, better yet I can give him authority and a whole section here to play with.

It's really sad when someone's work and effort is lost to time, let's see if we can do something about that, we have plenty of room and his stuff would be welcomed.

I have seen this in several cases just lately where good websites go under because they can't support the financial burden and it becomes difficult on your own. It's a killer, so guys if you see this happening let me know, let's keep our wider community intact if we can.

Cap'n

paulcarson

Alphans
I'm not sure if anyone has had the time to look or are even aware of their existence , but there are several sites out there that make a point of "archiving websites". If you know where to look there is a wealth of information stored away from sites that are sadly no longer with us. Its a type of " preservation of media / information for future generations" type of thing. I'll keep my eyes peeled and let you know if I manage to come across anything useful.

paulcarson

Alphans
My pleasure! I've bookmarked it and will take a look when I get a spare couple of hours . Thanks for making the effort to search for it !

paul gray

Forum Supporter
just checked out the site and there's some great stuff to be found, some memorabilia i have never seen before
cheers Paul

I'm still trying to get time to search out the old Zip disks I backed up most of the pics from the site on... Great that the look and feel has been backed up though!!

I'll also look to see if I have Gordon's email tucked away somewhere...

Paul W

Alphans
I loved Gordon's site. It was one of the first online UK Vintage Toys sites. I'd drool over his amazing collection and beautiful photographs. A brilliant bit of detective work TerraForm1/paulcarson!

Cool Caveman

Alphans
Stingray Memorabilia Museum

I've only just discovered this thread, but I'm Gordon.

It's amazing and touching to see the site was appreciated in its day!

I do still have the archive of the site, but it's not currently linked from anywhere.

I still have lots of Stingray and Anderson memorabilia left, which due to circumstances I need to give other collectors a chance to acquire.

This thread is two years old, but if anyone's still interested in getting back in touch give me a shout!

Gordon