Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Thunderbird 1

SteveDix

Alphans
I decided to have a go at painting with acrylics, seeing as the local Euro shop had all the bits..

DSCN0403.jpg

This is as far as I got tonight. Acrylic is a lot more forgiving than watercolours, which was my only painting experience. (A picture of Leo McKern, done in the late 90's, sadly long-lost).

Last edited:

SteveDix

Alphans
:yes: Oh wow, I haven't done any painting with acrylics for years! Brings back the memories...

Thanks. I'm enjoying the process. I'm finding it very "additive" - you paint the background, fill in the rough shapes, then blend the paint. It's also a very forgiving medium, in comparison to watercolour.

I was inspired to have a go by pictures of Ralph McQuarrie's art for Star Wars and Empire, showing his pencil sketches, then rough colour studies, and then the gradual refinement up to the finished picture.

SteveDix

Alphans
Thanks, Techno, but it's hardly that, being only my 2nd or 3rd ever attempt at painting. Not only that, but it's only half-finished.

Fortunately my Dad is an amateur artist of long standing (mainly because someone at the art club nicked his stool) so I've been able to crib a lot of techniques off him. (Just don't mention black.)

There's an awful lot of info on YouTube as well.

Last edited:
Ha ha, long standing indeed......

Steve, can I just say that anybody, and I mean anybody, who picks up a brush and creates something unique is to be applauded. The very fact you attempt these things speaks volumes - it may not be finished but what you've achieved is F.A.B! Don't let it stop there - get those cooling fins on, and a bit of Jetstream - go on, you know it makes sense!

Kindest regards

Patrick

SteveDix

Alphans
Steve, can I just say that anybody, and I mean anybody, who picks up a brush and creates something unique is to be applauded. The very fact you attempt these things speaks volumes - it may not be finished but what you've achieved is F.A.B! Don't let it stop there - get those cooling fins on, and a bit of Jetstream - go on, you know it makes sense!

Kindest regards

Patrick

I'm working on it, Patrick.
;-)

SteveDix

Alphans
Finished. Rejigged the waves, put on a bit of panelling and highlights, and cheated the text with a marker pen.

image.jpg

techno

Alphans
Really & well Done,Steve! Thanks for Doing a Painting of My Favorite Thunderbird! Keep up the Awesome Work! Dan

SteveDix

Alphans
5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1!

54321.jpg

And here are all the pictures, all finished. I'm thinking about bringing them to Cosford, if anyone's interested.

The next subject will be non-Anderson, but still rescue-related : It's going to be a picture of a Vosper RAF rescue launch MkII, as based at RAF Holyhead, as as surprise for my Dad - he was a radio operator on 2770 in the early 60's. If you happen to be at Hendon for the Anderson exhibition this weekend, I believe they have a fully-restored Mk I there.

Last edited:
First Class

To reiterate, in this day and age when so much artwork is done by laptop (and clever stuff that can be - see some of the beautiful works of CG art on other threads) there's nothing to beat somebody picking up a brush and working with paints.

Well done, and thanks for posting the end products - you should be very proud of all five.

Kindest regards

Patrick

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Leaves Us With A Picture!

Ah yes, here's to getting the band back together! Nice take of the Milky Way in the backdrop for TB5, too. Very nicely done! :yes: