Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Thunderbird 2 Colour...

w8cmp

Alphans
With all the discussion about the new PE Thunderbird 2, I thought I'd share some (old) pics of the Imai model I built a looonnnggg time ago (probably some 15+ years ago now).

I think I got my own custom mix of green near enough to the original to keep me happy. With a bit of weathering with pencils, graphite & oils, she comes to life. The launch ramp is scratchbuilt, and I STILL need to finish the trusswork on the underside of the ramp...perhaps I'll dig it off the shelf and get it finished...

Enjoy...

Chris

w8cmp

Alphans
You don't suppose PE are trying to copy the weathering on this one are they...looks mighty similar

saturnapollo

Alphans
Now that is impressive. TB2 is one of my favourite craft. Which Imai kit is that, Chris? And I think you've nailed the colour. PLease finish the diorama as I'd really love to see it complete (as I'm sure you would).

The closest green I came across when I refurbished the Imai large foam kit was Humbrol Grass Green (No. 80) see attached.

Keith

w8cmp

Alphans
Nice work there Keith - your colour also looks good.

I don't remember the exact name of the kit, but it was the first plastic one which was supposed to be the accurate shape, with interior cockpit detail etc. I have another in stock which is the same kit but with metal engines etc.

TonyB

Forum Supporter
Nice TB2 models Chris and Keith, so if you can get a pretty near colour match for the TB2, then why oh why can't PE do that.

saturnapollo

Alphans
Chris,

I think I know the kit. That would be the one which comes with the launch bay too. Probably still the best TB2 kit around.

Keith

Retroboy

Alphans
Chris, now thats our TB2 . Beautiful , just beautiful.After looking at yours and back to the PE it just makes me want to cry again :cry: no that didn,t help :cry: Tony where did you say you put those tissues?

w8cmp

Alphans
I decided to do a little experiment...by comparing the colours of most of the TB2 models I have in my collection. Here we have - for your enjoyment - the Konami, the Imai Kit (as seen above), the Aoshima Diecast and the Takara 1:144 electronic version.

First shown together for size comparison, first with flash and then without:

Then we have the Konami:

The Imai Kit (pics taken today on a modern camera):

The Aoshima (weathered version):

And the Takara (which is my favourite just because of the interior & working features !):

Seems the commercial toys / models are all too dark compared to the early TB2 scheme. But perhaps closer to the later series and movies...

Chris

saturnapollo

Alphans
That's a great collection of TB2s you have there.

The first photo of the Imai TB2 shows off the colour particularly well and I have to say is as close as I've ever seen on a kit. Plus of course your weathering is much more subtle. I think the commercial companies forget just how big TB2 is supposed to be, but if PE release their's in the current scheme, then if they thought the SPV lost them money, they ain't seen nothin' yet!

The Takara one is next best in my opinion., though again the weathering is perhaps a bit heavy.

Keith

PS Liked your Eagle stairway too:)!

TonyB

Forum Supporter
So it looks like PE have gone for the Aoshima (weathered version) look then, for some strange reason. :?

Nice collection of TB2 models you have there Chris.