Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Thunderbird 2 Detail decals

forza27

Alphans
Hi Gang, I am halfway through building the Imai Super Big 1/144th scale TB2.

I am building it in flight mode with a fixed pod because 1. I have too many builds on the go and 2. I prefer it in flight mode.

Looking at screen grabs the TB2 ( original small 2 version ) it has many small detail decals all over it. Does anyone have reference for these decals? I have trawled the T'internet but to no avail.

Any assistance appreciated.

boatshewsd2

Alphans
We've seen several wonderful TB2 builds here over the past several months (including one memorably-misspelled THUNDERBIRD decal! :O); can't imagine that there wouldn't be some ideas out there that could prove helpful!

Boldman

Alphans
lol that wasn't a decal that was a paint mask :)

Thankfully it was recoverable...

As far as decals are concerned, I wouldn't be too fussy about getting it "exactly right" as there is no such thing since there were multiple studio models which were modified over time. Just go with something that looks busy enough without going overboard.

forza27

Alphans
Nice TB2 Boldman. Have followed your build. Great pod interior.

Will just pick some decals that look right.

forza27

Alphans
We've seen several wonderful TB2 builds here over the past several months (including one memorably-misspelled THUNDERBIRD decal! :O); can't imagine that there wouldn't be some ideas out there that could prove helpful!

Thanks, I have been mooching around a bit, looking for inspiration. :thumbup:

Boldman

Alphans
Nice TB2 Boldman. Have followed your build. Great pod interior.

Will just pick some decals that look right.

Thanks - I used some from my spares box that I'd picked up in a sale ages ago - they were decals for 1/72 scale Tornado, plus some other left overs from Thunderbolts I seem to remember.

I used masks from the Miracle Masks man, who was very good - apart from the typo which we laughed about and he freely corrected it for me.

forza27

Alphans
Had a filling, sanding, spotting something else...filling, sanding etc etc. Getting there though.

I will dive into my decal box and see whats good. Will have a mooch at the tornado decals..thanks :thumbup:

Boldman

Alphans
Yes, lots of filling and sanding required. I used Isopon (P38) car body filler as its cheaper to get in bulk than normal modelling fillers :) Also sands very well although I had to do it in the garden because of the dust it created,

forza27

Alphans
Been sat in the garden covered in Squadron green putty dust all afternoon LOL

Nearly there....that styrofoam resin mix is a Bugger...glad I decided to forgo the pod.