Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Thunderbird 2 Pod

Dave

Alphans
I've knocked up a studio scale pod set just for use when photographing pod vehicles.

However, I am a bit limited on photos/detail info.

Anyone know where I can get some decent reference pics?

This is what I have so far, however in the far corner I've no idea what's supposed to be there. It's only a bit of fun, so not going to put too much effort in, but need it looking somewhere handy...

sliuman

Forum Supporter
Lovely...though the Mole seems to have shed a track or two...!?

Just kidding, I know it's a WIP...

saturnapollo

Alphans
Dave

You've got all the details which I was able to find when I made a pod for my much smaller pod vehicles (by the way just how big is it?). After that I just added a few "interesting" bits to fill in the empty spaces. That corner is usually concealed behind a pod vehicle leaving the pod if it appears on screen at all.

From memory I think the exception is in "Sunprobe" When you see the Transmitter Truck inside, but that isn't a standard pod as a bigger version had to be built to accommodate the much larger scale truck, (all being based on the same tracked vehicle with the large dish it wouldn't have got through the door) and it was a bit spartan.

Keith

Dave

Alphans
It's about 3 - 4 foot long and 2 foot high.

Some of the details appear to be large coat buttons as well as a container stopper and other things that I need to dig out.

It looks like a lot of the parts they used originally weren't even painted - they were just stuck on!

I'm guessing here, but the red 'dozer blade on the back wall (I knocked mine up out of sheet plastic) I recon came off the toy that was the donor for the Mole's side tracks (whatever that was)! It just makes sense that they would have not thrown any parts away if possible.

saturnapollo

Alphans
At that size it will certainly be impressive (mine's probably half that size)!!

Like yourself I'm sure they just threw interesting bits at it, never expecting folk 40 years later would try to identify parts to replicate the studio model! Similarly to yourself I had to make the red dozer bit but I had no idea what it was, so thanks for enlightening me! Didn't identify the buttons either.

Please keep posting photos of the project.

Keith

Was going to ask about the dozer blade myself, but don't think it came off the Vickers Vigor tractor model (by Tri-ang ? - he said without checking) -that supplied the wheels and tracks for the Mole. Probably off a similar scaled toy of the time. Thanks for pointing out that the pod was rebuilt for Sun Probe - hadn't noticed that. Can't help thinking there may be some other reference shots for the interior though. Will see if I can find something.

Ooops ! Just realised it was the side tracks that were being referred to for the possible donor vehicle for the dozer blade. Has anyone identified their source before ? Can't think if it's been named before. :dunce: !

DX-SFX

Alphans
The Vickers Vigor, as I understand it, had a number of accessories that could be bought separately. The body is apparently moulded to take a dozer blade accessory. You can see a raised arc on the side of the body just behind the frontal radiator. There's a corresponding hole (not visible in that link) moulded in the body positioned where the centre of that arc would be, strongly suggesting the pivoting point of a liftable blade. I don't know if it's the one in the TB2 pod but there's a good chance.

Dave

Alphans
Had the day off today and what better way to spend it than building models!

Knuckled down to finish off my Mole and Pod. If I never have to stick another rivet onto a track piece it will be tooooo soon!

The sky background is missing from outside the pod set, but apart from that this is one that can be ticked off my list...

saturnapollo

Alphans
Congratulations. Superb work, with both the Mole and the pod.

I take it from what you say, you won't be making any of the other pod vehicles with tracks then:) ?

Keith

Seems to have solved the problem of what to put in that area of the pod that nobody sees ! (didn't manage to find any more reference I'm afraid) Looks great. :thumbup:

Dave

Alphans
Ok, before I shelve this took a couple of shots of it complete. Sky backing makes a lot of difference!