Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Thunderbird 2 Pod

saturnapollo

Alphans
could they have not just cut the door open a bit bigger on the transmitter truck one? and thats why it doesnt have the 2 flashing lights above the door?

Well, that's always possible. From memory the Transmitter Truck pod seemed somehow sparse so always assumed it was one thrown together quickly purely for that episode.

I remember seeing the Mole scrape the underside of the opening too, but noticed later there was a bit more headroom!!

Keith

Mike Delamar

Alphans
looking at it again,and comparing the 2, I think your right that its bigger, although the fuselage pieces look the same, theyre seem a bit more vertical in the transmitter pod.

and sorry, I dont like "teaching my grandmother to suck eggs" so to speak when other people have researched things a lot more than me and actually built replicas so apologise if I come across that way :)

Im totally not that kind of person, just a keen Thunderbirds nut and like talking to other model makers and spotting things, and having a good debate :)

By the way Keith, you mention youve made replicas, Ive got a couple of pics saved on my computer off the internet of someones replica pod with mole, firefly, restraining unit and transmitter truck, built on what Im guessing is the aoshima mole tracks,I think it was at the scale model world show a year or 2 back

can I ask, is that yours? whovers it is has done a brilliant job

Mike

saturnapollo

Alphans
Mike

No you didn't come across like that at all. Just a general discussion about pods :)!

By the way Keith, you mention youve made replicas, Ive got a couple of pics saved on my computer off the internet of someones replica pod with mole, firefly, restraining unit and transmitter truck, built on what Im guessing is the aoshima mole tracks,I think it was at the scale model world show a year or 2 back

Yep, that sounds like mine, though it was a few years ago when I took them down to Telford.

Thanks for the comments. Yes they were all based on the Aoshima (originally Imai) re-released Mole kit. Cheap enough at the time to get a few just for the tracks etc.

Keith

Mike Delamar

Alphans
they are great, and a great Idea to use the aoshima chassis

can I ask how you went about constructing the transmitter truck and weather you did any blueprints or anything? especially for the cab

cheers

Mike

saturnapollo

Alphans
Thanks Mike

No, I never do drawings. I start from photos and a known dimension then scale everything to suit. Plenty of scribbled calculations though. So most would probably have been scaled from the diameter of the wheels.

In this case part of the problem was finding a suitable parabolic reflector. Found a piece in one of the Perry Rhodan kits, sanded off the detail, then laboriously wound plastic rod inside and out to make the ridged effect.

Keith

Mike Delamar

Alphans
cheers Keith, one of the reasons I want to go for the gray and houseman one is because of that dish on the transmitter one :D

still on the lookout for what the front tracks are off and if the cab is in fact some sort of toy or kit car,

sorry for going off topic

Mike

saturnapollo

Alphans
For the front tracks I used the Mole's body side tracks which fitted perfectly and they look pretty much the same.

Because the cab is is mainly straight sides (bit of curve at the bonnet), it was easy enough to scratchbuild.

Keith

, but Im still convinced its based on some model or toy car

I'm pretty sure the tractorcat was scratchbuilt to a design by Mike Trim, so I don't think the cab was from an existing kit. Certainly can't think of a car or vehicle it could be from - but am happyto be proved wrong.

Having built both the Mole and the Transmitter truck based on the same chassis, the pods will not be the same one as the Mole is signficantly lower in height and it barely got through the pod door.

Keith

Any pictures Saturnapollo ? Would be a great if someone were to do a resin kit conversion based on the Mole tracks.

saturnapollo

Alphans
All based on the Aoshima Mole kit chassis.

That's a great line-up ! Particularly like the transmitter truck and the settings. Thanks for posting those shots. :thumbup: :thumbup:

saturnapollo

Alphans
Thanks.

Just to prove to myself I could still do model shots without computer manipulation, the Transmitter Truck background is a calendar and the snow, talcum powder!

Went round demolition sites to photogragh rubble for some of the other shots :)! Had to hope no-one thought to question what I was up to as I doubt they would have believed me!

Keith

Mike Delamar

Alphans
I'm pretty sure the tractorcat was scratchbuilt to a design by Mike Trim, so I don't think the cab was from an existing kit. Certainly can't think of a car or vehicle it could be from - but am happyto be proved wrong.

thanks AT, I thought the tractorcat had a Mike Trim look to it :yes:

and brilliant modelling and excellent shots Keith, Ive only seen pics of your models displayed on a table and there they where impressive but to see them in there environment is just another level:thumbup:

Mike

saturnapollo

Alphans
Thanks guys. Always wanted a Firefly and this was the only way. Must admit I'm rather proud of these. They turned out better than some of my models.

Keith