Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Thunderbird 4 scratchbuild

KevinD

Alphans
I'm having a go at a Thunderbird 4. So far, I've started the main body, using my usual technique of sticking lumps of balsa together, putting plasticard on it and then throwing milliput at it until it starts to look roughly the right shape.

Dave

Alphans
Nice one Kevin. I was going to say "are you kidding me?" as I have also just started a Thunderbird 4 scratchbuild!! I'll start my own thread rather than trying to hijack yours!
Good luck with the build - it's more fiddly that I first thought!

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Hi Kevin,

It's hard to tell from the images but you know the "bonnet" is a compound curve, shallow sure but definitely a compound.

It could be made a great surface runner. Mamas is the water jet king and mechanical genius when it comes to RC. :D

KevinD

Alphans
Hi,

Yep, I think the photo is a little misleading, the 'bonnet' does have a curve to it, but I don't think it shows up in the picture, the plasticard at the front isn't flat, I've put a curve in it, but the camera lens may have taken it out again!

Nonetheless, I would appreciate all observations because it rapidly becomes obvious that this is one tricky beast to capture the lines of.

I'd love to see a rc version, I think I'd struggle to make one that would even float (my Skydiver weighs a ton!).

KevinD

Alphans
I have done the engine fairing intakes, the front and rear bulkheads and altered the profile yet again! It's hard this!

KevinD

Alphans
I've made the engines by fitting some metal tubes that I had which happened to be the right size. These were detailed with plastic strips from a model shop. I put two control knobs into the back of these tubes (so that you can see their bases). I suspect the original would've been hollow, but for a static display model, it looks a bit better to have something in them.

KevinD

Alphans
I have put the side tanks on, using balsa to provide bulk and then milliput to give the shape. These are nearly there, but I've already lost count of how many times I've reshaped them. Not an easy thing to capture this vessel.

thundergod

Alphans
This is shaping up really good Kev , there's something about the simple (?) lines of T4 that's made it a favourite of mine since I first watched the show , all those years ago . I'm relying on you to do all the R+D and problem solving , so that I can just copy what you did ! :thumbup:

SteveDix

Alphans
I'm enjoying the TB4 builds as well. TB4 has some of the same magic as Thunderbird 2 : It doesn't really have a single bad angle, and the design is well-near perfect. You just couldn't improve on it if you tried. (And we all know what happened when they did try.. but the less said about that, the better).