Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Thunderbird 4

Dave

Alphans
Haven't built anything for well over a year now and trying to get back into it.
Thought I'd start with something, ahem, straightforward. At least I thought it would be straightforward - Thunderbird 4.

Printed out the profile pictures to a decent size for the model. and then carved the master model from balsa, coated in resin and filler.

From plaster casts of the wooden master, made up a fibreglass/filler copy:

Rear tubes are steel curtain poles. Canopy master is more balsa which will be vac-formed in clear plastic. Top fin is two sheets of perspex sandwiched together. But I'm not happy with the shape so will end up redoing this.

KevinD

Alphans
That looks great, I'm glad we're not having a race though, I've got a lot of catching up to do.;)

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Would I be correct in thinking that the model Gerry has in his hands in the group photo was about 20"?

Will you be making a kit available at some point Dave?

Here are a few nice images of my favourite version of this great design.

Attachments

• TB4 at Master Models.jpg
    TB4 at Master Models.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 95
  • TB4 B&W Publicity shot.jpg
    TB4 B&W Publicity shot.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 81

Dave

Alphans
Thanks for the interest. I realise this is smaller than the typical 'studio scale' model (although there would appear to be several different versions of TB4 - some with considerable differences in shape!). The two images you posted Bernie, go to show how different they can be.

This was an attempt to revive my modelling interest - went through a long period of thinking about it but never having the will to actually start! Hadn't planned to make as a kit, but who knows!

Got a list of 'wants' as long as my arm (and my arms' pretty long). Hopefully, this will get my juices flowing long enough to keep at it!

Dave

Alphans
Had a break from all the sanding and filling and made this little geezer:

He's sat on a pencil, so you can see how small Gord is. Certainly a good test for the eyesight.:hmm:

Dave

Alphans
More filling and sanding. Get to the point where I think, that's it - only to look at it from a different angle and find the front just wasn't quite right... More filling ensued...​

Found some ribbed rubber mat in my bit's and pieces which looks ok on the steel tube engines. Started on seat for Gordo. Tail fin reshaped (Perspex) with grove cut into top of TB4 for it to sit in (should stop that puppy being snapped off).​

Dave

Alphans
lol

As far as scale goes, Gordo is a modified Harrier 1/24 pilot and he seems to be the right size.

KevinD

Alphans
I've pinched your idea for the engine corrugations, it is better than mine and I had plenty of matting left over from my cybergun.:)

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Acrylic works fine on rubber. :D

I guess I would plaster mould and P38 cast a new pair but it really depends on your preference.

here is my TB4 I did about 15 years ago as it is today I will finish it one day it is done using the century 21 blueprints of the original

Attachments

• 102_4796.jpg
    102_4796.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 102_4798.jpg
    102_4798.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 102_4797.jpg
    102_4797.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 63

Dave

Alphans
nice one Stingray, why didn't you finish it?

silly question, as I have loads of unfinished projects!