Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Thunderbird Bass Guitar

7string

Alphans
Just over 2 years ago I bought a used bass guitar. The paint was fading, the electronics didn’t work but it was cheap!

As this model is called a Thunderbird, I asked a friend of mine whether it’s possible to paint it as a Thunderbirds tribute model. I sent him a photo and he came back to me with a Photoshopped version. The design was set and now it was time to sort out the fine details.

Looking through this forum, I found the right colours for Thunderbird 2 as well as the fonts that I’d need to complete it. So I ordered cans of paint and primed and sanded the bass in the meantime.

Thanks for all the info that’s being shared on here. I’m no artist, but just following instructions from YouTube!! So far so good :thumbup:

So here’s the Photoshop design:

The green went on first:

Then the yellow stripe:

The headstock has got the same treatment:

This paint needs 3 weeks to harden properly before I can put the decals on, then spray the clearcoat.

tryptych

Alphans
Great idea!
Might I suggest before you go for the lacquer to add panel lines and weathering?
Are you sure about the font? It should be Futura Extra bold.

Last edited:

7string

Alphans
Oooo, great idea on the additional details, but spraying the paint is the limit of my artistic abilities!!

You***8217;re quite right of course, about Futura Extra Bold for the 2. I***8216;ve got a note of the lettering font as well, but can***8217;t lay my hands on it at the moment. Off the top of my head it***8217;s something number 9!

7string

Alphans
Thanks for the kind words guys!

When its finished itll get a place in the furry guitar rack. It was made from an old wardrobe, padded with carpet underlay and covered with furry stuff from the local fabric store.

Last edited:

tryptych

Alphans
OK, so you inspired me. I couldn't resist!

I decided to do a dark green "sunburst" effect around the edges, and added panel lines and subtle dirt streaks. Let me know if you want to know how to do it for real.

Cool Caveman

Alphans
These are great!!

I used to have a Thunderbird Bass, but it never occurred to me to do this...

OK, so you inspired me. I couldn't resist!

I decided to do a dark green "sunburst" effect around the edges, and added panel lines and subtle dirt streaks. Let me know if you want to know how to do it for real.

Planet3

Forum Supporter
I have never seen a guitar that looked as cool as this! I think you've come up with a whole new genre in guitar design, this could take off faster than TB2!