Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Thunderbird One Colour?

Slate Mcleod

Alphans
The postman delivered the rare Aoshima Thunderbird One model this morning which I recently picked up on E:bay. I probably won't start this until TB2 is complete but I have a question about the fuselage colour. Almost every Thunderbird One model I've seen that is fan built has been painted in various shades of silver. On my TV screen however the ship always looks more of a gun-metal grey.

Can anyone suggest a UK auto colour (Halfords) that may suit?

Thanks

Slate

mack29

Alphans
I'm currently building the Aoshima TB1 and I've used Games Workshop Boltgun Metal, which is a medium dark metallic grey, and sprayed it using an airbrush.
It is dark enough to get a contrast with a yet to be chosen second metallic colour for the "cooling fins" at the rear of the craft.

Slate Mcleod

Alphans
I'm currently building the Aoshima TB1 and I've used Games Workshop Boltgun Metal, which is a medium dark metallic grey, and sprayed it using an airbrush.
It is dark enough to get a contrast with a yet to be chosen second metallic colour for the "cooling fins" at the rear of the craft.

Thanks Mack....any chance of a photograph?

Slate

hwels

Alphans
At the moment I'm working on a IR TB1 to rectify the upside down lettering on the tail. I'm using Games workshop Skull White and Boltgun Metal for that purpose. Almost perfect match!

Hans

uncle bill

Alphans
At the moment I'm working on a IR TB1 to rectify the upside down lettering on the tail. I'm using Games workshop Skull White and Boltgun Metal for that purpose. Almost perfect match!

Hans

The IR TB1 is a copy of a model painted with games workshop chainmail.
In an issue of sci-fi modeler (mag) there is a preproduction drawing of Stingray which specifies "dark silver" since seeing that I no longer use bright silver for metal finished Anderson craft except for detail and highlighting.

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
Yes silver is wrong, it needs to be darker to make the white lettering standout so much.
I used Halfords Vauxhall Smoke Grey - or Mistral Grey, I can't quite remember but it might have been the second one!

Slate Mcleod

Alphans
Yes silver is wrong, it needs to be darker to make the white lettering standout so much.
I used Halfords Vauxhall Smoke Grey - or Mistral Grey, I can't quite remember but it might have been the second one!

Thanks David! I was hoping for a Halfords reference. Judging by how your model came out I would be more than happy with that colour tone.

Cheers

Slate

mack29

Alphans
Camera's arrived: let's see if I can upload an image.

Component parts base painted and awaiting final assembly and weathering.

Boltgun metal for main colour. Mithril Silver for cooling fins. Blood Red for nose cone (all GW). Vallejo Pastel Blue for all other areas.

I was considering using GW Chainmail, but could not get sufficient contrast with other metallic colours.

Last edited:

mack29

Alphans
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement my friends.

Model and base completed this week-end.

Looking at the assembled model I think the fuselage is slightly out of proportion, or is it the rear engine module?

The legs also seem a little on the short side.

If anyone is planning to build one I would make a few post-mortem comments:

1. Fuselage halves do not align well and need a good sand and fill session to get them aligned without a visible seam.

2. Whatever you do, put more weight in the rear section as those plastic blocks included with the kit are not sufficient. I only found this out once the kit was completed and have had to glue the rear wheels to the base to stop it falling on its nose.

3. Be careful with the landing legs: they are very thin and could break easily if you have to bend them to get the warp out of them. I am reminded a little bit of the plastic legs on the first issue TB2 from Dinky, which snapped as soon as look at them.

4. Watch the transfers (decals): a couple of them came loose after application, even when I had used a two part decal application system. If you can find any I would suggest using dry transfer letters as a replacement, as the font is way off for the big "thunderbird" on it's back.

Eagle

Commander Ret.
Bloody hell, that's nice. For future reference, do you take on commission work?

What about scratchbuilds? :)

garygumps

Alphans
:thumbup:Really ......really....nice:yes:

The angle of your photos makes it hard to determine if the legs are too short, but I don't doubt your word as you know your stuff.

Is the base painted with that concrete/tarmac effect? Or s it a stick on photo or something?

hwels

Alphans
... insert dropping jaw smiley here ...

Very, very nice! My son, who's looking over my shoulder, agrees.

mack29

Alphans
Thanks everyone for your very kind words: they have given me a much needed boost at a low time in my life.

In response to your comments:

To date I have not taken on commission work, other than making architectural models for work. However, I would certainly consider it if mutually acceptable terms could be agreed. My scratchbuilding efforts extend to making custom bases and dioramas, and a bit of kit-bashing (I'll try and get round to posting pictures of the pod vehicle that Brains operates in "Move and You're Dead", if anyone is interested)

The concrete effect base was created by applying a mixture of sand and gesso onto the board. Once dry, this very rough surface was sanded down to give it a texture more appropriate to the scale of the model. Grey primer was then applied and finished with a mixture of dry-brushing and washes.