Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Thunderbird One pilot seat

Hi all,

Please can anyone throw any light on the source of the quilted leather/leatherette on seat front of T1?

It's the red quilted material, and it's not the usual diamond quilt pattern. I believe it's referred to as onion quilt pattern.

Do you know if it was taken from car trim? Handbag etc?

Any supplier suggestions, please?

Thanks

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Close The Door - Have A Seat...

:yes: If you haven't already, you might want to rummage about a bit in the Thunderbird 1 thread, located in Anderson Reference Section/Thunderbirds...

:think: Also - I do seem to recall a discussion on this subject taking place quite some while back, but not sure in which thread. Think our friend Face Ache might have some ideas - believe he's done some nice work on one. Anyone else out there, folks?

Black seat information

Thanks Nialle46 - I have seen Dave's solution and to be honest, makes perfect sense. Tracing the original material seems to be a challenge. The nearest I can find is vinyl covered laundry boxes and in the US, storage boxes. Neither is spot on but close.

I am curious about this black covered seat. It is a completely different design to the usual red back seat. Can anyone shed any light on it? Attached are pictures of both Scott and Virgil in similar seats. Judging by the wooden control handles, it looks like an early version?

Attachments

• 4668229_l4.jpg
    4668229_l4.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 47
  • scott_tracy_by_stick_man_11-d6w05ls.jpg
    scott_tracy_by_stick_man_11-d6w05ls.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 47
  • tracy31.jpg
    tracy31.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 45

Peter

Alphans
Thanks Nialle46 - I have seen Dave's solution and to be honest, makes perfect sense. Tracing the original material seems to be a challenge. The nearest I can find is vinyl covered laundry boxes and in the US, storage boxes. Neither is spot on but close.

I am curious about this black covered seat. It is a completely different design to the usual red back seat. Can anyone shed any light on it? Attached are pictures of both Scott and Virgil in similar seats. Judging by the wooden control handles, it looks like an early version?

The early version of the TB1 seat is upholstered in red and it featured in the first series.The studio made a new seat for the second series and the movie TBAG. They also re-painted and re-wigged all the main characters at the same time in the quest for perfection. Hope this helps Rhapsody Angel.
Btw, I can't see the picture of Virgil you mention, but good luck with your search for the vinyl.:)

Thanks for the info Peter, that makes sense. Not sure why you can't see Virgil.....

Curses, I can't upload it, the uploader is telling me I have already posted it and won't allow it again. (I even tried renaming it - and its smarter than me - it saw through my ruse!) Drat.

(at least, I think it's Virgil?).

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Somewhere...?

:?: Do you happen to recall which episode (or either of the films) that Virgil image came from? If so, maybe we can have a go at locating it...

Thanks for the info Peter, that makes sense. Not sure why you can't see Virgil.....

Curses, I can't upload it, the uploader is telling me I have already posted it and won't allow it again. (I even tried renaming it - and its smarter than me - it saw through my ruse!) Drat.

(at least, I think it's Virgil?).

I don't am afraid. I just found it on a google search..... yey! fooled it by copying it to a memory stick and loading from there.... here it is.

Attachments

• virgil.jpg
    virgil.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 40

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Thanks. Looks to be Scottie, judging from the sash color. Interesting to see him using a headset, of all things! Alan seems to prefer them (even saw a pic of him using one during a turn up on TB5)...

Only other folks I can recall sitting in TB1's Big Chair, are Kyrano (Martian Invasion) and young stowaway Chip Morrison (Security Hazard) - so cute, that his feet couldn't reach down to touch the floorboards! :)

I don't am afraid. I just found it on a google search..... yey! fooled it by copying it to a memory stick and loading from there.... here it is.

You are right gentlemen, my bad, I somehow managed to miss the sash colour! Doh. It was the eyebrows that fooled me, he seems to have lost the tufts just above his nose.

Who knew they had eyebrow threading for boys back then!

:)

Another question gents... do you happen to know approximately what size the red ball-type knobs would be on the seat? I am guessing about the 10mm diameter mark.

Thanks in advance.

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Sash Right...

...the lady is (not always) smarter - I had the color-order all messed up, back when I first joined up here. Forgotten which was who. Props to TVC21 :yes:, for putting me straight - the only two I had correct, were Scott and Gordon!! ;) ;)

You are right gentlemen, my bad, I somehow managed to miss the sash colour! Doh. It was the eyebrows that fooled me, he seems to have lost the tufts just above his nose.

Who knew they had eyebrow threading for boys back then!

:)

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Sharp-Dressed Men...

Well, at least they kept their uniforms onboard their ships (per Jeff, Trapped in the Sky)... :)

Although it's not too hard to envision a bit of off-duty brotherly pranking, now and again... :sneaky:

Haha boatshewsd2 - I wonder if they ever appeared in each other's sash? :O

Thanks Lamboman.

Anyone recognise where this aluminium grid style material is from? it's not chequer plate, at least, not the modern style one.

Attachments

• checks.jpg
    checks.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 37