Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

"Trapped in the Sky" recreation

tryptych

Alphans
Hi guys,
I am looking to make a shot-for shot CGI recreation of the pilot show as a little hobby. I won't do the whole show, basically just the Fireflash bits, and leave the puppets "as is", but I am trying to capture the Meddings 60's style of models, lighting and photography.

As you might imagine, this is a fairly serious undertaking as I am building not only the hero craft but all the other vehicles and buildings.

I am currently attempting to build a scratch elevator car, and will upload some shots once I have found someone to host the photos (any ideas?)

Cheers,
Rob

tryptych

Alphans
Thanks Slate,
I tried Photobucket but they were being difficult with registration. Oh well.
Anyway, here's a couple of very rough versions of the elevator car.

It's a rather obscure model and I've had a real job finding enough reference material to create the drawings, but I think I'm getting there.
(If anyone has any plans, it would be much appreciated.)

Plans so far, top view

A basic graphic render (Main chassis is just a placeholder)

Last edited by a moderator:

tryptych

Alphans
A few more test renders:

Fully rigged 18-wheeler truck. (ie: it moves and steers)
The cab is still a bit manky and needs more work, but it's only seen from a distance anyway.

Hero TB2. Pretty much in the bag, but the pod interior needs a bit more work.
It will be rigged with lifting legs and opening pod door. I am also testing fluid systems for the retro rockets.

Fireflash hangar render test. The other buildings are still in production, so mockups used.

Airport Control Tower

Airport Fire Tower

Airport Fire Station render test including the other two buildings above.

tryptych

Alphans
A few more snaps

After all the research and plans the elevator car is now under proper construction.
It's way more complex and detailed than I had first imagined.
This could be a slow job.

Jetex test for the vehicle dust trails.
This shot emits dust from all four wheels, but for authenticity I may go for just one big blower underneath, Meddings style.

A fire test to see how well the Elevator car crash into the parked plane may stand up.
The police car is one of the many I will scatter around the airport.
It's fully rigged to drive and even has spinny flashing lights!

More to come. Watch this space. Comments much appreciated.

tryptych

Alphans

Thanks Dan,
Yeah, it's a bit of an undertaking, and will take quite some time, but should be pretty cool if it comes together. It all looks a bit crappy right now as it's all under construction. One thing is when you actually start seriously looking at this stuff, it's amazing the detail and workmanship involved. No wonder Gerry said it was his most expensive show.

tryptych

Alphans
Elevator car starting to take shape.
I am finding so far there is no definitive design, even with the number of kits and scratchbuilds out there, so I am using original screenshots where possible, other stuff to fill in the gaps, and my own imagination where required. I still haven't fully figured out how the linkage works, and as this will be a dynamically rigged vehicle it has to work correctly or it will just throw somersaults.

Guyus24

Alphans
Looking good!

If I can ask, what program/s are you using to create this? I've always had a fascination with recreations like this but it takes an awful long time. What you've completed here in a few days would've taken me months.

tryptych

Alphans
Thanks!
The heart of the setup is 3DSMAX, but there is a ton of other stuff used as well.
(I am a video animator, hence why) - Basically, I use Adobe Illustrator for the plans, Adobe Photoshop, Allegorithmic Substance Designer and Substance Painter for the texture mapping, various plugins like Cebas Thinking Particles for the runway effects, Afterburn for dust, FumeFX, Rayfire and Phoenix for fire/smoke/explosions, Craft Director Studio for all the vehicle rigging and VRay & SolidRocks for rendering. After that I composite layered image sequences with Adobe After Effects using a ton of plugins, but include Trapcode Particular, VCP Optical Flares, Reelsmart Motion blur and Red Giant Magic Bullet.

I can assure you this is not a few days work. I've been bashing away at this for months now in my spare time. I just happened to throw a load on here at the same time. I would actually say that CGI/3D modelling is more time consuming than the real thing.
Thanks,
Rob

Last edited:

Guyus24

Alphans
That's quite a setup you have there!

I would agree with the fact the 3D stuff takes longer. In the real world, everything is already textured and rigging is a hell of a lot easier!

Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

tryptych

Alphans
A little self-indulgence as I rendered what I have built so far of the Elevator car in VRay.
Basic materials, and the nose and rest of the rear chassis still need to be built, but it's looking pretty sexy.

tryptych

Alphans
Finally finished the Elevator Car trailer, now to rebuild the roof and hydraulics stuff that I had originally roughed out.

tryptych

Alphans
Elevator car modelling finally finished! Totally rebuilt the platform and pillars, so looking far closer to the original, and managed to get the nose completed which I was dreading, but I'm really pleased with. I've added the basic VRay textures, so now comes the major job of 'dirtying-down' which could be a major hassle from the UVW mapping perspective as there are so many bits.
Anyhow, enjoy...
Rob

tryptych

Alphans
The first model I started with after TB2 was the airport terminal building. I've now got that one in the bag. The tower needs dirtying down, and I have most of the other buildings ready to go so I should start to get some of the scenes ready to animate soon.

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Man Meets Machine... (or, All This and Virgil, Too!)

We're immediately made aware of the MEC's sheer massiveness, once we've spied that tiny, familiar yellow sash peeping out through the windshield...

Just a beautiful construction! :yes:

Elevator car modelling finally finished! Totally rebuilt the platform and pillars, so looking far closer to the original, and managed to get the nose completed which I was dreading, but I'm really pleased with. I've added the basic VRay textures, so now comes the major job of 'dirtying-down' which could be a major hassle from the UVW mapping perspective as there are so many bits.
Anyhow, enjoy...
Rob

tryptych

Alphans
To be honest, he's a bit on the small side, I need to tweak it, as I imagine a man would stand about as high as a wheel axle.

Tenement01

Alphans
To be honest, he's a bit on the small side, I need to tweak it, as I imagine a man would stand about as high as a wheel axle.
Thunderbirds has always been a tough one on scale. TB2 is supposedly 250 feet long and 180 feet wide. The cockpit has to be between 40 and sixty feet yet the interior set used by the puppets is at best 20 feet. It'll always come down to whatever the artist creating the image deems to be right. Splendid work on your build and I look forward to seeing it progress. :thumbup:

tryptych

Alphans
Thanks! The thing is, with 3D modelling one has to specify real-world dimensions, and for simulations mass as well, so as you say, Thunderbirds scaling is totally arbitrary, and they appear as different scales in different shots, so I am really trying to rationalise the whole world. There is no specified size for the Elevator Car, but judging from the width of one on the ramp, there is no way you would get four of them in a pod without stacking them vertically or using lifts.

Dave

Alphans
This is excellent. By far one of my favourite scenes in all of the Gerry Anderson shows and the one which fuelled my interest.

Built a few Elevator Cars over the years and always intending to build another to tweak any mistakes I made along the way. Here's some shots of my Radio Elevator Car, if they are of any use in your renders.