Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

"Trapped in the Sky" recreation

tryptych

Alphans
Hi Dave,
Thanks for that. I'm pretty well finished on mine, but still unsure about the linkage if you have any shots of how the two sections are connected. How big is the model? Very nice work!
Rob

Dave

Alphans
Thanks Rob. The model is studio scale, 20" long.

Just took some pics trying to see linkage, on my phone, so excuse the quality.

Tractor unit on swivel pivot

Arm off tractor on another pivot, allowing tractor to go up and down

Last edited:

tryptych

Alphans
Thanks for that Dave,
I'm still not quite sure how it's supposed to work as there is the swivel arm mount (left/right) and the horizontal bar (up/down) but if you use both, like I have in mine at the moment, it won't work as they stop each other and it stays rigid!

Last edited:

Dave

Alphans
The bar you have going across the horizontal tilt shouldn't be there.

The tilt is achieved by the arm, where it attaches to the trailer unit. Top right of your pic, where there's a little 'nipple' - that's a pin that goes through the arm creating the up and down movement.

Dave

Alphans
On a previous model I built, I added a bar, where you have yours for the horizontal movement, however, as you have found, you then can't turn the tractor unit from left to right!

tryptych

Alphans
The trouble is, as I have said before, the original model is long gone so everyone has interpreted the design for themselves. Martin Bower seems to have gone for the top mount only whereas Graham Bleathman and this other guy I found on the net kept them, although both look in hindsight to be completely wrong.
Also, if there is no crossbar, what's that little nipple on the end for?

Dave

Alphans
By the way the 'other guy' on the net was me! That's a pic of one of my early models which was completely wrong, hence why I revised that on the latter model.

tryptych

Alphans
LOL. Damn you, that was such a bum steer!.
I spent ages going through that stuff! :cry:
I'm sorry, but I'm still not totally convinced. There is a pinion connecting to something.
That said, I agree, if it connects it defeats the object, as it will lock the two.

BY the way, I see your locale, I'm in Stroud. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave

Alphans
That is very weird!
Another mistake I made on my previous versions, that Graham Bleatham has also missed, is that the back of the cab is flat, not round.

tryptych

Alphans
Point noted Dave.I will have to fix that, Thanks.

Moving on with the "Grot & Filth" buttons to get the right look for the Elevator Car.
I have it on good authority the colour is "Ford Carnival Red", which appears mega-bright, as seen in my previous renders, but with copious quantities of drips, dirt, dust and ambient occlusion, it's looking a lot closer to the original. Now I have to get on with mapping the model and applying the materials.

Last edited:

tryptych

Alphans
I like to have a number of projects on the go so when I get bored with one I can move across. It also helps to come back with a fresh pair of eyes. I wasn't originally going to do TB5, but I felt I had to to keep consistency, and it's a pretty basic model, (or so I thought) - Simple shape but a lot of greeblies and bits. Anyhow, easier than the elevator car as I have good research pics. Still a fair bit to do, but coming along nicely.

Last edited:

boatshewsd2

Alphans
The Beautiful Five...

Alas, poor TB5. Just doesn't really get the love, compared to the rest of the fleet; nice to see her getting some deserved "star" treatment here! More images, pls?

:#:

Computers and chips, and greeblies and bits...
That's what Thunderbird 5 is made of!

I like to have a number of projects on the go so when I get bored with one I can move across. It also helps to come back with a fresh pair of eyes. I wasn't originally going to do TB5, but I felt I had to to keep consistency, and it's a pretty basic model, (or so I thought) - Simple shape but a lot of greeblies and bits. Anyhow, easier than the elevator car as I have good research pics. Still a fair bit to do, but coming along nicely.

tryptych

Alphans
nice to see her getting some deserved "star" treatment here! More images, pls?

Sure, that's as far as I've got today, have to finish the main antenna and do the bridge section, and then it's got to have all the materials added.
I will keep you updated.

Rob

tryptych

Alphans
Here's a couple more of the bridge section.
Not entirely happy with the proportions, it seems a bit big, so I plan to address that.
Bar a few greeblies here and there it's just about finished for modelling.

Last edited: