Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

"Trapped in the Sky" recreation

tryptych

Alphans
No, it's tiny, but did actually exist as a real vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:

tryptych

Alphans
I did you a quick render of a close-up of the airport terminal.
As you can see, once you get close, there's not a lot to it.

tryptych

Alphans
I wasn't happy with the exposure of a couple of the pics I uploaded, but it seems I can't edit old posts, so here they are again, plus a couple of extras.

tryptych

Alphans
Thanks guys.
These are still test renders, so I think I can get even closer to the original once I start assembling the clips.

FriendZarin

Alphans
Stumbled across your posts from another forum - what a great project and it's so interesting looking at your 'work-in-progress' test shots developing. Its fun seeing models from alternative angles. Great work.

tryptych

Alphans
It's been a while. So tied up with other things. Anyhow, finally battling on with texturing the Elevator cars. Just the tractor so far, and I haven't done the glass, wheels or engine yet, so it's early days, but it's really starting to look like a real machine.

tryptych

Alphans
Yep, gives it that nice "lived-in" look! :D

Yeah, it's what Derek Meddings called "dirtying-down".
The model builders would make models with nice, shiny paint jobs, and then another department would then totally trash them by covering them with mud, dust, dirt and grime. Up until then nobody did it. George Lucas took that cue for Star Wars, which was the complete antithesis of Kubrick's 2001 with it's almost sterile cleanliness as well as many other sci-fi at the time.

tryptych

Alphans
The filth continues.
Just the roof to finish, and a few general tweaks to be made to balance it out and I am finally finished with the elevator car.

tryptych

Alphans
After fiddling about and tweaking for over a year, my Elevator Cars are finally complete.
The painting process was again more complex that I had imagined, partly due to getting decent UVW maps, and partly getting my head around the complex, yet brilliant Algorithimic Substance Painter program. It created materials I had only dreamed off, with random wear, scratches, rusty paint and muddy splatters.

boatshewsd2

Alphans
:builder:

Well, the journey at times must've seemed as long as the whole of Runway 29 :bang: (if not longer!), but here you are at last. Just amazing. Surely a tremendous sense of satisfaction!

:clap:

tryptych

Alphans
Well it was always a journey of enlightenment. I've learned a hell of a lot in the last few months. Now only Fireflash to complete, and those pesky fire tenders.
Then I can start getting down to the animation.

Oh, one and more, as I couldn't resist trying out all three.

tryptych

Alphans
And so, moving on swiftly... A first attempt at the Hover Fire tender.
I always loved these as a kid (and their sirens)

boatshewsd2

Alphans
That Siren Summons...

Never knew, before seeing these shows as a kid, that British sirens sounded different from American ones!

(We really do learn something new, every day...!)

tryptych

Alphans
The sirens these had sound like nothing I've heard anywhere!
So an update. Changed the window height and added a few tweaks.
The bumper needs redoing and I'm still not happy with the whole tender geometry, so it might need a rebuild (again). Trailer #1 is fairly complete now. It's as close as I can get it from the very limited research data I have. No paint on any of this yet so just basic colours.