Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

"Trapped in the Sky" recreation

tryptych

Alphans
Tender #2 Completed, (bar the paint)
The other tender is pretty much identical except for the gubbins on the back, so it should be fairly painless. Fixed all the cab and bumper problems, and tweaked a few details on the ladder rig.

Last edited by a moderator:

tryptych

Alphans
Tender Number One. Same base, just ladders by the plenty.
That's all the modelling done. Now on to the mapping and paint.

tryptych

Alphans
There we go. Job done.
I'm dead chuffed how these worked out, I think they actually look "sexier" than the originals, but I'm not entirely sure why.

Now only Fireflash to finish.

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Seeing RED!!

They do indeed look great - think it's the lighting, and the shade of red used, that give them that extra "punch." Even standing still, they look fast! :yes:

tryptych

Alphans
At last, on to the hero of the piece.
I''ve had so much trouble getting the fuselage geometry right, as it always seemed to end up with creases and bumps, but I've finally managed it after about 30 attempts.
Now I can move on to fixing all the other tail section once I've knocked out all the windows.

tryptych

Alphans
Starting to take shape.
The fuselage is complete at last, with proper windows, glass and even curtains!
I've rebuilt all the undercarriage, and it's all rigged to open and close on a slider.
I'm texturing as I go with this. The back end still to be done.

tryptych

Alphans
Thanks guys,
I was beginning to think my posts weren't being seen!
Here's another couple of test renders showing the undercarriage positions.

tryptych

Alphans
I've been rather busy of late, so let my project slide somewhat, but it seems in by absence my image host has decided to change domain name, so all my pics are dead.
Hoping to fix it soon, but in the meantime, here's scene one, shot one of "Trapped in the Sky".

boatshewsd2

Alphans
One By One...

Wow - what a picture!! You've really outdone yourself here! :clap:

I do empathize with your recent technical troubles - having to change Internet service providers, is why I've been absent from ETF these past 3 weeks or so... :bang:

(Only just getting last of the "bugs" ironed out - have missed everyone terribly! :cry:)

Let's both hope things will be going far more smoothly, henceforth! :yes: ;)

tryptych

Alphans
Thanks for that.
I still have to finish the Fireflash tail, but I thought I would set a few scenes up as I was getting bored with modelling for now. Yeah, the internet thing is really annoying, but I have left the fix with the Eagle guys for now so hopefully they can restore my images.

Here's another shot.

Andernut

Alphans
Looking really good but is the wing profile back to front. At the section where the wing folds the wing profile should be shown with the fat rounded area at the front and the taper at the back of the wing....am I making sense? I apologise if I am wrong as I don't mean to appear critical.

tryptych

Alphans
Andernut:
Yes, I agree with what you say in theory, that most wings have a rounded leading edge and a flat trailing one, but having viewed a lot of original footage, it appears Fireflash is the other way round, mainly due to the windows on the wings.

Maybe I am seeing it wrong and would appreciate anyone who has models of it.

As I said, these are tests anyway, because the whole tail section needs a rebuild, but always open to critique to refine it.

tryptych

Alphans
I've done an orthographic cross-section render of the Fireflash wing and tailplane to demonstrate the shape. If anybody has any better designs or reference material, I would be most grateful to see them.
Oh yes, and I know the tail section is all wrong, that's still to be fixed.

tryptych

Alphans
This is the revamp of my original test shot.
The Elevator car is now rigged on all six wheels with a bouncy roof, steering and suspension. Now I am trying to get the Jetex exhaust smoke to look right, and it's tricky, but should have an update soon.