Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

UFO Lunar Tank Rocket Launcher Parts

Ooh ooh ooh Mr Peevly!

I'll have a look at those parts and I haven't even thought about the rifles in UFO which I think look great!

Can't take the credit for discovering the 1/21 Long Tom as I did not know it existed before being told about it only credit for finding the bits on this. I also made the mistake of assuming it was the 1/40 one.

MkIXHawk

Alphans
My 2p's worth; the headlight looks very much like a 35mm slide
On the left hand side, I think is the underframe from the Airfix (now Dapol) grain wagon kit
On the front face of the large tanks at the rear of the LH side, are bulkheads from the Airfix B29

I'll dig out a slide somewhen and compare but I can't see it myself. Any chance of a piccy of the grain wagon bit? Pictures of the Superfort bits already at the beginning of this thread but thanks for trying to see whats what.

Chiz,
Barry

Getting there though still some bits to go...

paul gray

Forum Supporter
hi folks
i thought i might add something to this project.is the window and window surround from a hand held photo slide viewer.i will post a photo later to see what you think.keep up the good work everyone.

I think the part I have is too big but it is difficult to tell with no straight head on shots, also am I right in assuming the part in the top left hand corner is an altered part from the girder bridge kit.
cheers Paul

Umm... it's either from the Honest John or Tillie the Toiler kit. I can't get in my shed to check for a while - it's a bit full at the moment and I don't have much daylight time to sort it out.
For images click on the Img button paste the link and then the Img button again. Should show up like (img)link(/img) I think. Follow the image rules in the Commanders Office.

Regards,
Barry

paul gray

Forum Supporter
i have been following this thread for a while and have been amazed at Barrys and everyone elses keen eye for spotting the kit bits.i have started my model and to date have finished the chassis with all wheels and track fitted,main body is finished with almost all detailing added,i just need to add the side pods at the rear and make the front square window and then all that remains is the rocket launcher on top.as soon as side pods are done i will load up some photos,i think i have worked out how to do it.so fingers crossed photos at the end of the week and i hope every one likes it.i will wait for anyones opinion before i paint it,someone elses eye on these things will see something you cant.
cheers Paul

while i think about it some parts i have used that have not been mentioned before.on the side of the model there are 2 tubes for the end detailing i have used the wheel hubs from the airfix panther tank that seem to have the right profile to be a match and at the rear right (as you look at the model ) the long rectangle and 2 square pieces seem to me to be parts from the dapol passenger foot bridge kit.any thoughts anyone?
cheers Paul

This is the completed chassis showing internal strengthening, middle 4 axles are sprung, the tracks haven't been altered as they are the same length as they come straight from the toy.

side view

no clues as to what view this is

the big scale long tom parts have been cast in resin along with the superfortress part, which is why they are white. The silver circle is a large washer. You may notice some parts have paint on, that's because I bought a part built honest john kit (saved a few bob there)

here's a better one from the rear.

some of the front detail hasn't been applied yet to make the painting easier later on.the black square area is only push fitted at the moment. also i am sure the part i have made in yellow plastic is from a faller kit-probably a wall with a window hole,so check your faller kits.

the side we dont get to see too often.i have cut down the atlas rocket part to get what i think is the right layout of these parts.have filled in the gaps with more parts from honest john and tillie.

inside the body to show ribbed structure.

lastly a shot of the whole model.i will be adding a roof hatch as one can be made out from one of Barrys earlier photos.this part is from the small scale Gemini kit.again many thanks to Barry for all his effort on this thread,i could not have built this without all your hard work.off to go and build the launcher now

please let me know if you think i have done anything wrong in my model so i can put right before the painting stage.

JD

Alphans
paul gray said:
please let me know if you think i have done anything wrong in my model so i can put right before the painting stage.
One thing: Part 120 from the Tillie the Toiler, the green box with the cross-hatch strengthening, looks on the original(s) to be sitting at the same angle as the side of the vehicle, where you've got it on an angle. I know a bit of the part sticks out (I've got one in front of me), so it looks like there is something underneath it making up the space.
Also, on Barry's screen-captures of the right side, it looks like there's a slight return all along the lower side edges, meaning they're slightly curved. It makes the front 'lip' cut in a little higher than you have it now.
The shots showing the left side are more the way you have it.
Other than that: :mrgreen: ! Looking very desirable(and very do-able!).
More, please!

paul gray

Forum Supporter
In answer to some questions the length of this beast is just over 65 cm(front of roof to back of roof) not including rear over hang. JD that part 120 was the only bit i wasn't really happy about ,i just didn't know quite what to do, so I have unstuck it and glued under it another kit bit to lift the top end up to make it follow the side contours.will also have a little fiddle with the lower edge.will post more pics as the launcher progresses.
cheers Paul

Hello,

I'm back - Paternity leave will be over this weekend but at least I've been able to clear my shed out and can now look at some modelling again.

Paul I've made no progress on anything since I last posted here but see that you are pressing ahead.. . What distance apart have you made the axles apart? For my mockup drawing I have used 4 and a quarter inches (108mm).

Don't think that it is a Panther wheel on those tubes - I at first thought it was the heat shield from the Airfix 1/144 Apollo capsule but the nipple is too small. Those Dapol bits on the back look good - I'll dig mine out to see. And I thought that the tubes themselves might be the fuel tanks from the Revell 1/48 Apollo Service Module. They certainly look the right length for the ones on the rocket launcher.

Regards,
Barry

paul gray

Forum Supporter
hi Barry
glad to have you back on board.I have just measured the axles and mine are 100mm apart.I can't remember exactly how I came up with that figure but I remember having the wheels on the floor and seeing what "looked right" to me,along side all the other kit bits.when it came together the track fitted over the wheels without any alterations.I have almost finished the top launcher but can't figure out what goes under the large honest john part on the top .
cheers Paul

Under the Honest John "fender"? Haven't a clue - I was thinking whether the Revell 1/48 octagonal Lunar Module descent stage body is used to attach the left and right rocket launchers together?

Just behind the fender there is a rectangular piece with a notch in it - a similar piece appears on the rear end upper surface of Skydiver!

I believe it is part 27 from the Honest John kit.

Regards,
Barry

paul gray

Forum Supporter
thanks for that Barry,i will grab my box of bits and finf that part.here are some progress pics of the launcher.

All the white parts, except the 3 tillie parts at the rear are resin casts i have made from the original tamiya big scale kit.the reason for casting these is that the kit is about as rare as unicorn s..t and rather expensive and certain parts you need 2 of and only get 1 per kit.i think all parts have previously been identified( thanks everyone)and the rear oblong box is just plastic sheet.the base for the launcher is a shaped piece of resin with a part from the gemini (small scale kit) and on top of that is part of a turret from the winnie the whale life like kit that looked like it fitted the profile for that part.more pics later in the week when hopefully i will have the launcher completed.
cheers Paul

Paul,

have a look at this piccy. I do not think you have the correct part in the outside edge middle of the top launcher. I think it may be the loading ramp of the Airfix Scammel Trailer. Can you see the little sticky up bit on it?

Regards,
Barry

paul gray

Forum Supporter
hi Barry
thanks for that.just checked my parts bin and found some of the scammel bits and they are identical in size to the parts i used but minus the sticky up bit.will ease the old parts off and replace them.also looking at the last photo you put up gives a good view of the tilting mechanism of the launcher.i must admit on my version i have had to compromise here as i wanted my launcher to be able to be moved in all directions i have used a ball and socket joint here enabling the launcher to be posed at any angle and stay in that position.most of the workings are hidden though,so when in a "down" position it looks true to the original.also your part 27 from honest john fits the bill nicely.under the fender i have detailed this area using a bit of artistic license raiding the parts bin from the kits already used on this build.
cheers Paul

If you have it try the octagonal descent stage of the Revell 1/48th Lunar Module to see if it fits in the gap between the launchers. I'm not postive on this as their are some marks/holes that I can see that don't appear on the piece though.

Chiz,
Barry
ps not sure about the Winnie The Whale turret but it may not be possible to identify everything...

Your welcome!

And I would like to thank those that identified the kits used on the other models that are being found now on this one :)

Hopefully helpfully,
Barry

paul gray

Forum Supporter
a few more pics of the launcher,first one with the correct airfix bit.
cheers Paul

front view of unseen middle section,using more bits left over from this build

top view of unseen area without the honest john cover

top view with honest john part added

lastly today the underside view.the round black part in the middle is the bottom of my ball and hinge joint i am using to fix this to the vehicle,it gives a full 360 rotation and tilts up and down.hope you like the way i have detailed these areas,when it all goes together you wont actually see much of it anyway.it is venturing into that grey area where you dont know what goes there,but it's my best guesstimate.
cheers Paul

JD

Alphans
Coming along nicely, Paul!

One small thing, if you have thoughts of ever making a Skydiver. The small part, #72 from the Long Tom, which you've used in the middle of the mid-section... check out this pic from the 'Keith Scaife Collection' on Phil Broad's excellent (and currently MIA) Model Builder's Reference Vault site:

Attachments

• SD-Long Tom part.jpg
    SD-Long Tom part.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited: