Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Ultra Probe Logo

BrianS

Alphans
Besides this photo, are there any good, detailed shots of the Ultra Probe Logo? I would really like to get a clear idea of what the design really looked like.

BrianS

Alphans
Since over 20 people have looked at the above image and no one has suggested a better shot, this would roughly seem to be what the logo should look like:

Last edited:

BrianS

Alphans
Got a bit more detail about the logo, so here is an update (though there may be a couple minor touch ups still to come).

cricket

Alphans
Very nice, Brian!

I'll defer to the graphic artists in our number, but are the stars on the second posting a bit small compared to the original on the model? :think: I prefer the sizing on your first attempt, myself. :)

Stu73

Alphans
So what does this crest mean? Two planets, two wing type devices and four stars. :-/

Someone could write a book on the S99 patches alone...

BrianS

Alphans
Very nice, Brian!
Thanks Cricket :)

I'll defer to the graphic artists in our number, but are the stars on the second posting a bit small compared to the original on the model? :think: I prefer the sizing on your first attempt, myself. :)
The stars on my 2nd version are indeed smaller than in my 1st version, but the 2nd is in fact much closer to the model-shots.

Two things have to be taken into consideration here. First, the blue stripe holding the stars is a more model-shot accurate thinness in my 2nd design rendition than in my 1st - and that thinness does not allow for as much space proportionally for the stars. Second, the model-shot is slightly out of focus on the logo, and so colors tend to smear a bit and make certain shapes look somewhat larger than they actually are. That is why, for instance, one doesn't see the tail end of the second craft extend through the orangish planet, even though it is there. (It is also why you see some attempts at the design where people put white stripes across the entire blue ribbon, rather than having isolated stars in the

That said, I may adjust the stars just a hair, but the difference won't be too great from its current design.

BrianS

Alphans
I think I am almost done here with the design (waiting on a couple things for final design lock).

Like the uniform patches, it turns out there were slight variations between the logos on different models. I think this is the best version (slightly larger stars for you cricket :) ), and is very similar to the jbot/smallartworks logo for the UP models. That means this logo will be model-shot accurate AND a good companion for anyone who has a good UP model.

I think this would make a great 3.5 inch wide patch. And I think the colors should be the following:

Orange planet like the orange (darkest) planet in the AMC patch
Blue planet like the dark blue panel in the AMC patch
Pale blue border like the blue background in the SAT patch

About the design itself, I think a few things may be identified. First, the four stars would represent the four crew members. And the two winged objects represent the two sections to the ship. I also would say the way a person wears the patch would indicate what aspect of the mission he or she was involved in. On a sleeve, for instance, if you wear the arrow pointing forward, you would have been part of the mission support - whereas if you wear the arrow pointing backwards, you would have been part of the propulsion support (since that is the way the logo faced respectively on the two halves of the vehicle). It is possible that UP Mission Control would wear the patch facing straight up.

I would also suggest that the blue planet probably represents Earth and the orange planet represents Ultra. Thus the overlap represents travel between them.

All conjecture of course, but generally makes sense. :)

BrianS

Alphans
For comparison purposes, Alex has kindly provided me with a couple shots of the jbot decals. Obviously they are certainly within the ballpark, though as you can see the jbot ones do differ slightly from the model shot.

cricket

Alphans
Like the uniform patches, it turns out there were slight variations between the logos on different models. I think this is the best version (slightly larger stars for you cricket :)

:lol: :lol: Thank you, Brian, I do like the change. :thumbup: You've done a very nice job. When do we get to order?

BrianS

Alphans
Here is a crude mockup I put together.

The above is with the colors I suggested in my prior post. It's pretty close, but the border blue may have to be a bit of a richer color to truly match.

UPDATE: Here is a better version.

The blue planet is the same color as the AMC darker blue, but the others are a bit darker than previously stated, so different thread colors would have to be chosen.

Last edited:

BrianS

Alphans
When do we get to order?
I still haven't locked the final design yet. I am waiting to hear back from someone who may be able to get me a really nice, clear, detailed shot of the actual logo on an original studio model. So am in a bit of a holding pattern for the moment. :)

CR

Alphans
For what it's worth at this late stage, I think Roberto Baldassari has/had a version of the Ultra Probe logo. I don't know if he based it directly off of observations of the model, or just from screen grabs. I don't think it was on his site, but on the convention cd-rom that was released with the 25th anniversary. (I have it somewhere, but it's been misplaced in a move.)
Can anyone else help out along this line?

BrianS

Alphans
Actually I have access to his design. I also have information from someone who has access to the actual model logo. These, combined with photos like the one I have included here, are all the source of the refinements to my design (and are similarly the source of my statement that the logo - like the patches - have design variations among them).

The only thing I am waiting on at the moment is permission to personally view the logo from a particular source. I hope to hear from them soon, but am unfortunately still waiting one way or the other.

Thanks for the suggestion and the help though. :)

Last edited:

CR

Alphans
Well, glad to be of help, in spirit if not in actuality. Anyway, I hope your source comes through and you can get the final 'tweaks' done. If you're planning on 'patching' this logo, I'd like to order one or two when it becomes available.

Oh, and I like your conjecture about the meanings behind the various symbols within the logo; it makes sense!