Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Ultra Probe ship. What if...

Senmut

Alphans
Okay, Helena said that they were scooting back to Alpha, before the Moon drifted too far away. However, we all know how tight resources on Alpha can be, so...
Do you think any attempt would have been made to reclaim the Ultra Probe ship? It seems a big waste to just let it go, given that with the Eagle pilot section attatched, it is flyable once more. Remote control is certainly possible, with Alpha's technology.The Dragon seems dead, so do you think Koenig would have tried for it? Not to mention the Eagle drive section Cellini jettisoned.
Anyone?

Stu73

Alphans
yeah certainly seems like a waste. mind you there were a lot of rotted burned skeletal remains too...

Bishop

Alphans
They didn't seem to in the show, but in the real world they may well have gone hunting for useful things. It may well be that there were others of those life forms lurking so maybe they might have thought better of it.

cmdrkoenig67

Alphans
Their scanners didn't detect the alien monsters at all, so they had no idea how many of those ships may have been infested.

Dana

Stu73

Alphans
Their scanners didn't detect the alien monsters at all, so they had no idea how many of those ships may have been infested.

Dana

Yikes, that's quite creepy. Suppose then that ALL of those 'derelict' ships might have had a dragon or two. Could do a 2 hour special on that, about Earth probes of the future (20-something) finding them and haveing to erradicate the monsters with a barrage of space-to-space missiles, curtesay of Mk.X Hawks (yes that's right, Mark TEN) hehehehe

Then of course, out of those alien ships, some are salvaged, backward engineered, retro fitted and lead to Mk.II FTL Swifts, so that the Earth can go searching for Alphans or something.

Yes, I'd buy that for a dollar.

ostrein

Alphans
I think they left the Ultar Probe there because the idea of recycling was not born at that time.:no:

They just dumped everything - so they did with the exile capsule!

:lol:

Hawk

Alphans
Interesting question...but perhaps we already have our answer. Isn't it true that the Ultra Probe command module was seen in the background of some hangar shots?

CR

Alphans
Well, the Ultra Probe CM returned to Alpha years before Breakaway... presumably, it was still there from then on.

Oh, wait, I think I get what you're driving at... since they had the Ultra Probe CM, they might have considered salvaging the rest of the probe ship, and re-attaching the CM.
I'm guessing, though, that they thought it's be better to be safe than sorry, and just left the probe ship & other derelicts alone. (The old novelization, based on the original scripts, had them blow up the probe ship for good measure.)

Huntsman

Alphans
One must assume that this story is from Helena's point of view. And also editing and embellishing. Just because we see our heroes leaving the Ultra Probe and Company, doesn't mean there wasn't two or three Eagles tugging it back to Alpha. But then again, with the horror that they were apart of, one might not want to tug around a haunted spaceship. even if salvaged for parts. It's not unlike trying to Raise the Titanic...

Senmut

Alphans
Well, the Ultra Probe CM returned to Alpha years before Breakaway... presumably, it was still there from then on.

Oh, wait, I think I get what you're driving at... since they had the Ultra Probe CM, they might have considered salvaging the rest of the probe ship, and re-attaching the CM.
I'm guessing, though, that they thought it's be better to be safe than sorry, and just left the probe ship & other derelicts alone. (The old novelization, based on the original scripts, had them blow up the probe ship for good measure.)

Well, given that Koenig was a big part of the whole Ultra Probe mission to begin with, he might feel compelled to salvage it.
Just my take.

Doomsday

Alphans
I think they would have to scavenge.
Just crash the lot down to the Moon's surface and go through the junk pile at their leisure.
Whole ships could be put into orbit I suppose.
Mind you, having big Spacers in orbit might put others off attacking them if it looked like they could defend themselves. :think:

I need sleep. :wtf:
Goodnight.
Ronnie

AceMartini

Alphans
According to a very reliable source of mine, the Ultra Probe was salvaged. Victor, Paul, Tanya and Kano were chosen to try to take it back to Earth. The Ultra Probe was retro-fitted with alien space drive technology scavenged from the ship to which it was docked.

It think they might have taken Computer with them, too. Details on this are sketchy.

JMChladek

Alphans
I don't know, from a practical standpoint the ship might have been tough to salvage. First of all, we don't know how long it spent in space. Sure it could only have been maybe a few years, or it could have been longer if one takes into account the time dialation effect of high sublight speeds (something they brought into the mix in season 2). Secondly, even if the ship were about the same age, the power supplies looked a bit on the depleted side. No lights were functioning at all and it seemed as though only the power the Eagle command module brought with it was only enough to open the doors (atmosphere would have remained breatheable at least if there was nothing to consume it).

Chances are the consumeables on board would potentially have been exhausted somewhat. Cooling water is needed for electronics, electrical power is needed for equipment and the automated systems would have continued to work. But without human caretakers, things would have broken down or tripped off. About the only thing that might have been salvageable would have been nuclear fuel, although if the probe spent decades away from Earth, then even those would have half lifed down to a useless level.

Maybe an Eagle or two docked to it could have dragged it back, who knows. But I don't think the effort would have been worth it for the resources needed to bring it back. And if they could bring it back, why not bring back some of the alien ships instead since they would have more advanced technology onboard that could be exploited for Alpha's use?

I also remember Helena's log at the end. They couldn't be sure it was alive until the saw it. So how could they be sure it was dead? Too risky to bring it back and risk resurrection at that point.

Senmut

Alphans
Good points. I'm sure the food and water aboard would be unusable by now. But, the artificial gravity still works. Either there is still some reserve power working somewhere, or the system is drawing on the Eagle cockpit's systems.
My take on why not try and salvage the alien ships is that they have no idea how any of them function, while the systems of the probe ship are no mystery. It would be easier to try and restart the Ultra Probe than figure out the innards of one of the others. It could take weeks, if not months, time they do not have.
Yes, lots of time has gone by, but the probe ship could be salvaged for electronics, engine parts, metals and plastics. Given the usable state of the fuel cells aboard the Swifts on Planet D, those aboard the probe ship might well have still been usable.
Just my take.

DX-SFX

Alphans
You don't know how long or how close Alpha is going to be in range. Neither do you know what the fuel status of the UP is like. Given time, those ships could be a good resource IF they have the time.