Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Unusual Images for original Eagles....

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Hi Guys,

I thought this would interest a few members. This sequence of photographs show Eagle 3 captured within the motion control rig.

Cap'n

CR

Alphans
Those are screen grabs from one of the Space: 1999 documentaries, yes? I'm probably not remembering things correctly, but I thought the shot was just set up to demonstrate filming the miniature; it wasn't used in an actual episode. Cool views in any event.

shornak

Alphans
Interesting rigging on the top of the eagle. Looks pretty heavy duty. I thought the same that the wire was for the cockpit lights.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Rigged up....

The grabs come from a Brian Johnson documentary I found on the net (it was uncredited - but not the Clapperboard one I have that), he referred to this shot as one from a story board where an Eagle has to fly close to an asteroid, hence the green lighting, possibly the Balor prison in End of Eternity?

By the looks of the rig it can spin the eagle through it length. I will try to find more stuff like this, truly fascinating.

Cap'n

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Cable or wireless....?

Ahh gee Bernie thats awesome - Merry Christmas :santa:

Hi Darren,

Could you check and see if there is any evidence of holes or connections in those areas? I would like to answer these questions, perhaps a picture or two if it's possible please?

Happy Christmas to you mate :thumbup:

Cap'n

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
This documaentary appears on the DVD extras, and its not really a 'motion control' rig, just a custom model support stand.
Being Eagle 3 we are talking 2nd season so not 'EoE', pretty sure it would be during the shooting of 'Seed of Destruction'.

scatta

Alphans
The Brian Johnson documentary is an extra from the Carlton Y2 DVDs. (and partly used in the Fanderson making of Space:1999 documentary) The storyboard is for Seed of Distruction. The planet-scape scene is A B Chysalis. The Greenly lit up 44" could be from either of these two episodes (The AB planet was green and the Seed of Destruction asteroid was green while being hit with the energy beam), although the final episodes does not show that much green illumination on the Eagle. (I really should get a life, Lol)

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
My universe is upside down....

Just when you thought you understood how it was done... it wasn't..!

Sorry for the low quality images, screen grabbed from an old documentary. Would you look at that? All is not what it seems. This shot was so successful I have been fooled for almost 40 years....

Well I'll be darned, it's a glass painting....

Pulling back to reveal the camera....

This is a great shot as it shows an east/west Eagle rather than a north/south orientation, I wonder what the thinking was behind this?

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
This documaentary appears on the DVD extras, and its not really a 'motion control' rig, just a custom model support stand.
Being Eagle 3 we are talking 2nd season so not 'EoE', pretty sure it would be during the shooting of 'Seed of Destruction'.

Hi David,

Happy Christmas :thumbup:

You are quite right, I have never watched them before, guess what I will be doing today....

There are several more revelations like this and scenes from the model shops, would we like to see more?

Cap'n

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
Nice to see the scanned images of the photo glass shot, I never worked that effect out until I saw the footage -if you want to see the film it comes from the 1974 Horizon documentary that is on the Space 1999 DVDs.

CR

Alphans
I think it also has been YouTube'd at least once, for those of you who don't have the DVDs. It may have been removed by now. I believe that's where I first saw it, actually.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Beware, genius at work....

Some one sent it to me, I don't have the Y2 box set yet, never seen a Y2 episode in fact, call me inadequate :D

Even so, it was still a shock to see Alpha rendered as a glass painting. I always thought they used a foreground miniature against a shot of the model. Maybe this is where the line between us mortals and the professionals actually lies. I would be keen to get the most value for money after investing in building the model and I would want it used in every shot. Brian re-arranged his thinking to capture the best shot possible using a totally different technique.

As I said fooled me for almost 40 years, in fact would still be sailing the ship of ignorance if I didn't see this. The man and his team are genius all.

He is on my hit list for this year, I hope he will talk to me.

Cap'n