Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

WAVE Vinyl Skydiver 1

Mintox

Alphans
Hi All

I've had this kit for close on 15 years and have still yet to get around to building it. I thought I'd share picts of it for everyone to add to there list of UFO kits to get.

Description: WAVE is a Japanese company that make a varying assortment of SciFi kits to this very day. This kit is about 15 years old. For a vinyl kit of this era it is actually quite well formed and only suffers some warping on the Diver fins which are easily fixed by running under hot water, bending to shape and dipping into cold water. All parts are vinyl except the periscope which is cast in white metal. A very large decal sheet is provided and seems to be fairly accurate.

Here is a link to some of the first shots of the kit. More to come later:

http://www.q-net.net.au/~nipngnwm/Skydiver/WAVE-Skydiver1-001.jpg
http://www.q-net.net.au/~nipngnwm/Skydiver/WAVE-Skydiver1-002.jpg
http://www.q-net.net.au/~nipngnwm/Skydiver/WAVE-Skydiver1-003.jpg
http://www.q-net.net.au/~nipngnwm/Skydiver/WAVE-Skydiver1-004.jpg
http://www.q-net.net.au/~nipngnwm/Skydiver/WAVE-Skydiver1-008.jpg

Sorry for the dodgy photos of the instruction sheets, I couldnt be arsed to scan them.

Cheers

Shane

I have this kit, it is extremely good and as cannon to the filming minature as anything made to date -- however, one must question the wisdom of it being a vinyl kit.

The consesus is one must fill the the hull with 'builders' expanding foam to give the hull ridgity.

Since I have had the kit, I have re cast some the smaller detail parts such as fin et-al in resin to make easier to construct and give longevity when made.

I believe that MiM repoped it in resin which by all accounts was a nice kit as they did it with pressure cast system.

Marty...

DX-SFX

Alphans
one must question the wisdom of it being a vinyl kit.

You beat me to it. One has to question the use of vinyl at all for kits. It doesn't like certain paints, doesn't stick particularly well and I've never seen a vinyl kit yet that wasn't warped. You shouldn't have to straighten the parts before building a kit. It's a material unfit for it's intended purpose.

w8cmp

Alphans
I had one of these...

Built it and was very impressed - well as far as I could be with a vinyl kit...until I filled it with expanding foam as suggested, and the whole thing inflated like some dreadful 'egg craft'. Completely ruined it. :O

I shed a few tears over that one as it cost me a few quid - and that was when it was commonly available. :cry:

Transporter

Alphans
I also have a Wave Skydiver and it is one of my most beloved models. It looks very accurate to me, and I still can remember the special vinyl smell when I opened the box for the first time. :D:*:

To add rigidity, I filled the main hull with plaster. Of course it got very heavy, but it worked out fine. Sorry to hear that your Skydiver turned into an egg craft...:no:, w8cmp.

eurosector

Alphans
I read somewhere before that using plaster of paris is a better option than expandable foam filler inside vinyl kits.

Liberator

Alphans
I read somewhere before that using plaster of paris is a better option than expandable foam filler inside vinyl kits.

Why does it seem you always hear of things like this after the fact? Its like buying a particular model of car and having it break down continuously and then taking it to the local mechanic and them telling you, "yeah this car is renowed for this type of breakdown - happens all the time."

But at least for those of us who didn't know its now a learning expereince for us. Me, I used crumpled up newspaper to stuff my Nostomono where the vinyl was sagging. I've thought about using the expanding foam - now I know its unwise to do so.

I could imagine how heavy the Notromono would have been filled with plaster.

saturnapollo

Alphans
until I filled it with expanding foam as suggested, and the whole thing inflated like some dreadful 'egg craft'. Completely ruined it.

Same thing happened with a vinyl SPV I had. Seemed quite accurate overall but looked like someone had sucked the insides out until I added the expanded foam, then it went the opposite way. I believe Comet still sell them. Never understood why anyone would chose vinyl as a medium for a kit!

Keith

JD

Alphans
Here's a shot of a completed one on Marc Martin's UFO site:
http://ufoseries.com/models/wave0.jpg
No idea of the build details, but it does seem to have a slight 'weight problem'.
More pics here, about half way down:
http://ufoseries.com/models/index.html
Model credited to Albert Hastings, possibly the same guy behind the 1996 UFO revival attempt detailed on the site.
Ken Alfter, who took that first pic of Albert's model, once sent me pics of his own completed Wave Skydiver. I thought it had come out quite well, especially when he told me the kit had arrived squashed completely flat!

TonyB

Forum Supporter
I bought one part built form a friend several years ago for a rock bottom price :D, it has the main body filled with Plaster of Paris, personally I prefer to use Gypsum Plaster to fill vinyl kits, this stuff is a bit like Plaster of Paris but does not set quite as quickly. Using materials like this will not 'warp' the model like the expanding foam can do as you have complete control of how much or little you put in, I generally fill the kits slowly with several small mixes, which also has the benefit of allowing the previous mix to dry out a little before you add more, the down side is the weight, as it ends up being rather heavy, so you need a good shelf.

I need to remove the conning tower, get it back into its proper shape as its sunk on one side then fill it with Gypsum Plaster, which will rectify the sinking or warping. I have been wanting to work on this model for some time but just never got around to it.

RS1

Alphans
I have one of these skydiver's as well . Bought mine built up . Great looking kit . Although I have been wanting to redo the paint on it . I am unsure if the paint can be safely stripped off the vinyl . Then there is trying to get a new decal sheet for it .

DX-SFX

Alphans
I bought one part built form a friend several years ago for a rock bottom price :D, it has the main body filled with Plaster of Paris, personally I prefer to use Gypsum Plaster to fill vinyl kits, this stuff is a bit like Plaster of Paris but does not set quite as quickly. Using materials like this will not 'warp' the model like the expanding foam can do as you have complete control of how much or little you put in, I generally fill the kits slowly with several small mixes, which also has the benefit of allowing the previous mix to dry out a little before you add more, the down side is the weight, as it ends up being rather heavy, so you need a good shelf.

I need to remove the conning tower, get it back into its proper shape as its sunk on one side then fill it with Gypsum Plaster, which will rectify the sinking or warping. I have been wanting to work on this model for some time but just never got around to it.

If only more kits demanded that you had to f*rt around filling them with plaster and straighening them up? Don't you love vinyl? Give me a Lark resin kit of Skydiver anyday. It's slightly bigger too.

paul gray

Forum Supporter
i had one of these a long while back, cost me a small fortune then. i was so chuffed the job i had done i took it to work to show some friends. i left it in the car until lunch time ,went to get it out and the coning tower had sunk into the body and sky 1 had gone all limp! the weather wasn't particularly hot but it was completely ruined. 1st and last vinyl kit i ever bought.
cheers Paul

DX-SFX

Alphans
Oh yeah, you can't sand it either. I'm thinking of making kits out of old rubber tyres. Paul, I share your pain.

Mintox

Alphans
Actually, you all need to see the vinyl kits I have made by another Japanese company called Nitto. They are perfect and aren't deformed in any way. In fact the kits probably would never have been made in resin as they would be extremely heavy and costly which is why large kits are made of vinyl. Another plus is that large, single sections are easy to cast in vinyl. That said, they do pose problems when it comes to correcting any inaccuracies. You can freeze the vinyl which makes it hard like plastic and easier to sand. Filling it isn’t a problem either – greenstuff from Games Workshop works well on vinyl, you just have to be careful and not flex the joint where you have applied the filler.

After looking at the kit more closely, I think the fins will defiantly need to be scratchbuilt and possibly the wings on Sky 1.

Cheers

Shane

I may have a spare one of these if anyone's interested - though having read some of the comments here, I've a feeling there may not be any takers !

Bishop

Alphans
Looking at this thread again I don't know if anyone's welcomed you to the forum Mintox. In case not then :W: Nice to see and Australian from the west on the forum. All we need is a person from Tasmania and the ACT and we'll have the whole country covered

Photos of your other kits would be great