Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

What happened to Satazius?

stiki

Alphans
Hey All!

Prompted by the 2001 discussion elsewhere on the Forum, I got to thinking about some of the Space: 1999 models that I've never seen detailed photos of.

In particular I wondered if anyone knew the fate of the Satazius model?

Also "The Catacombs" states that models disappeared from both the Blackpool & Alton Towers exhibitions, but what exactly has gone missing?

Is there an inventory of surviving models/ set pieces?

Thanks,
Ian

Doomsday

Alphans
Ooooohhhhhh that one!!!
Liked that one.
Let's face it, I liked most of them. :yes:

Except Dracula's Blue Ship. It was pretty cack. :thumbdown:

astrocat

Alphans
Hey All!

Prompted by the 2001 discussion elsewhere on the Forum, I got to thinking about some of the Space: 1999 models that I've never seen detailed photos of.

In particular I wondered if anyone knew the fate of the Satazius model?

Also "The Catacombs" states that models disappeared from both the Blackpool & Alton Towers exhibitions, but what exactly has gone missing?

Is there an inventory of surviving models/ set pieces?

Thanks,
Ian

The Satazius was still around when Martin Bower set up the exhibition at Alton Towers, but from what he's told me it was in pretty poor shape so was never actually displayed.
I assume it was with all the other models when Phil Rae bought the collection.

I must admit I'd love to know what happened to it as well - it's probably my favourite 1999 ship!

Perhaps Phil could shed some light on it's fate..... Phil?...

Keith

stiki

Alphans
fate of Satazius

I don't remember seeing Satazius at Blackpool, but then it was nearly 30 years ago!

Here are the only model shots I've been able to find.
These both courtesy of Mr Bowers website -

Sure love to know if it still exists - it's one of my favourites too.

Anyone else remember seeing it make a guest appearance in the pop video for "Clouds Accross the Moon" by the Rah Band ;-)

Ian

Blue Moon

Alphans
Hi This is my first post, I know should be in commanders office but felt just had to chip in on this thread to shed some light on the fate os Satazius. The good news is that I was the proud owner of her for some years, the bad, she no longer exists!

chas b

Alphans
First off,welcome to the forums.
Secondly,tell us more! We're all nuts about the models on these forums and we like to know everything so can you expand your story a bit?
Oh,do you have any pics you could share?

Regards

Chas B

Blue Moon

Alphans
Hi Chas, thanks for the welcome-just for the record, I have now posted a proper introduction in Commanders Office. So a slightly backwards start, er, but got there in the end!

Well to fill in the blanks, my late uncle used to work for the Blackpool tower Company, who set up the original Space City exhibition on the 'Golden Mile' in Blackpool in the late seventies. He told me that there were more goodies at their storage warehouse in staining, nr Blackpool. Although initially excited I thought no more about it, until one rainy Sunday morning my uncle and my cousin turned up at my house. He said did I want to go and see the spaceships at work? did I!! When we arrived at the rather scary warehouse building, he led us into a wonderland of circus bits and bobs, through to a large area that was packed with what was clearly what couldn't be fitted into the exhibition or was in too poor condition. Although it was fantastic- most items were damaged or in general poor condition. I pleaded with him after looking round for about an hour to take some stuff home (I was only about 9!) He said no as it mighnt be needed at some some late date and my mum would kill him (not to mention his bosses). A couple of weeks later he turned up at our house with a cardboard box full of model stuff. He said that they were clearing an area and had thrown a load of broken stuff out so would I like it-what do you think? this happened a few times and culminated with one dat delivering a (very damaged) Sataziuss moddel, which I later crudely attempted to repair! Phew so that's the basic premiss of what happened.

Tim Smith

Alphans
Well, since that fine ship is no more, it would be great for one of the professional modelers out there to resurrect that ship. It is most definitely one of my inspirations!

pjskeldon

Alphans
Publicity photos

Yes this ship has a special place in my memory - I couldn't work out which episode it appeared in alongside an Eagle and a Hawk.

Turns out the pictures were publicity pictures - you can see two of them on the paperback covers of "Rogue Planet" by E.C.Tubb (Hawk firing on Satazius) and "Lunar Attack" by John Rankine (Eagle firing on Satazius).

I also remember a poster sized stand-off picture of all three - wish I could find it.:(

Blue Moon

Alphans
satazius query

Propmaster-

sorry, can't send PM as not enough posts yet- satazius (much to my regret)no longer exists, please see my explanation in the commanders office 'new members' thread.

Sorry

stiki

Alphans
Blue Moon!

Thanks so much for the info.
I suppose its too much to ask that you have any photos of any of the "rescued" ships?

SC100B

Alphans
Thanks for posting Blue Moon. I've often wondered what happened to the Satazius. As you knew her in a disassembled state please can you shed some light on her construction?

Blue Moon

Alphans
Satazius Construction

Hi guys, well here goes.....

If memory serves well, the basic construction was wood (Jelutong, I'm guessing) around a steel horizontal pole running the length of the model (there was also a smaller one on the underside for mounting) then sections of 'hardboard' to make up the main hull. I also remember what appeared to be newspaper mushed up in it somewhere-part of the packing/filler I suppose. The most supprising thing off all was how fragile the 'wheel' bits were, I mean this was a heavy model-I certainly couldn't lift it a that age, it was my father who moved it around from room to room! The 'wheels' were made of two circular pieces of plasticard supported inside by lots of square plastic 'wedding cake' pillars (lots more of which were used externally around the engine area-but these were the round variety. On the bottom of each 'wheel' were about eight bottom/top supports of the round plastic cake pillars- obviously doubling a thrusters, in adition to loads of plasticard panel detailing there were four rows (2top/2bottom) of half egine bells from the airfix luner module kit- must have been at least 40 of them. Lastly the engine area was seperate in construction-I know this because when I got the ship it was missing! However on one of his visits my uncle brought it with a load of other bits and I set repairing it, interestingly the engine bells were nothing more exotic than 70's Nescafe coffee jar lids! However I noticed in publicity shots the bells apear rounded, whether they were replaced later I don't know.

Blue Moon

Alphans
Thanks for the compliment, but was probably about 15 when I did most investigating. Incidently I remember discussing this with Phil Rae in the early 90's -he was pretty cut up as well!!

DX-SFX

Alphans
Yes this ship has a special place in my memory - I couldn't work out which episode it appeared in alongside an Eagle and a Hawk.

Turns out the pictures were publicity pictures - you can see two of them on the paperback covers of "Rogue Planet" by E.C.Tubb (Hawk firing on Satazius) and "Lunar Attack" by John Rankine (Eagle firing on Satazius).

I also remember a poster sized stand-off picture of all three - wish I could find it.:(

There was a poster magazine which had a picture of the big S and the 22" Eagle in combat, probably the best photograph of it ever published. Also the first annual had a fuzzy shot of the S and a Hawk. More curious is the fact the Satazius is painted yellow in those shots.