Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

What would have made "Dragon's Domain" even better

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
The only problem I see is in Koenig's motivation for attacking the creature. Why endager himself in such a way when there was no one to save, they could simply have turned and run away, then lasered the whole ship from a safe distance!
What really needed to happen was Helena being hyponotized next by the monster, then Koenig throwing himself at it to save her and becoming a hero.

Ham Salad

Alphans
The only problem I see is in Koenig's motivation for attacking the creature. Why endager himself in such a way when there was no one to save, .

Say, that's a good point. I wondered why they just didn't back off and close the airlock door myself.

He's just that kind of guy......

Koenig had so much respect for Cellini that I'd suggest he was overcome with rage, guilt or a mixture of both: all those years he'd been a lone voice supporting Tony, whilst all those around him disbelieved him. Being a passionate and emotional kind of person, maybe blind fury overtook Koenig - maybe he wanted the Dragon dead so that other travellers wouldn't end up suffering the same fate.....

On a never-ending loop of Season One, I'm going to put my feet up, darken the lights and watch this episode this weekend with my twelve year old son - his scariest TV story is Tom Baker's "The Pyramids of Mars" with Sutekh's mask (he absolutely hates that, despite having watched it ad infinitum).

We're going to revel in the beautiful strings of the Adagio as the Ultra Probe leaves dock, the rare insight into events prior to Breakaway, the intense moody organ music and the nightmarish battle as the monster is unleashed, and reflect upon one of Gerry's finest hours - this is the one where everything clicked and the show became more than a TV episode, more a feature film in forty four minutes. Detractors there may be but, for me, this is one piece of Anderson magic which will, like the story of Tony Cellini and The Monster, live on.....

Kindest regards,

Patrick

I always enjoy when series twist existing stories - Dr Who did it well in the Hinchcliff era and 1999 did it here (pre dating Alien) with the allegory to George and the Dragon - its ceratinly made its mark as both my wife and myself cite it as the scariest episode we saw back then (and still now)

And it happened all over again.....

.....that initial onslaught from the Dragon is most unsettling. The set-up is just exemplary - the gorgeous orchestral music, the beautiful Ultra Probe fly-past and then the urgent musical motif as the act comes to a close when Tony alters the ship's course, then the eerie crawl through the graveyard, and finishing with Darwin's "Come on Sesame, open up!!"......and then the full horror is unleashed.

These poor travellers are so far from home, alone, and completely undeserving of this horrible, violent death. For me, that's what the programme makers achieved - it's that remoteness, across billions of miles of space, and we're witnessing it all.....

Anyway, I'd looked forward to it for weeks, and it didn't disappoint, and I'll watch it all over again in the future. Thanks for reading,

Kindest regards

Patrick

"What's that guy got against me?!?!"

SteveDix

Alphans
I'm going to put my feet up, darken the lights and watch this episode this weekend with my twelve year old son - his scariest TV story is Tom Baker's "The Pyramids of Mars" with Sutekh's mask (he absolutely hates that, despite having watched it ad infinitum).

It scared the hell out of me when I was twelve, too.

johnnybear

Alphans
I've always thought that the moon was probably travelling through space in the year 2870 as stated in Death's Other Dominion and it had taken the graveyard nearly a thousand years to reach that area of space with the Dragon probably in hibernation while Alpha had slipped through various holes in space and black suns to get there!
JB

It is a great episode but the monster does let it down a bit. The sound effects are enough to scare the hell out of anyone but then we get this bizarre creature who has a light for an eye and a room for a mouth [ plus some obvious rubber tentacles where people twist around to make it look like they're being pulled towards the creature ] Ok the eye looked pretty good but the creature also seemed to be half physical [ it can get hurt ] and half supernatural. I know there was the hypnotism thing but the creature was killed off fairly easily at the end so why couldn't it have been killed earlier?

Steve Gerard

Alphans
Hello

when Cellini gets back as the sole survivor, why is Koenig in charge on Alpha ?

He is not in charge as commander, it was 1996 in the flashback scenes, Koenig still had a orange/yellow sleeve.
http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/epimghd/tidd8.html
http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/images/spacehd/dd/spdd1509.jpg
Koenig and Bergman get re-assigned back on Earth after the failure of the 1996 Ultra Probe. Koenig returns as commander[black sleeve] on September 1999 ["Breakaway" episode].

This Space:1999 related site is in-depth. Here is a link to "Dragon's Domain":
http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/epguide/t23dd.html

Last edited:

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Time Passages...

A quick hop into Catacombs et al shows Koenig in an orange sleeve, which would make sense as he and Tony Cellini would've been members of the Reconnaissance section ca 1996.

As noted, following his "grounding" in the wake of the Ultra Probe fiasco, he would return to the Moon as Alpha commander (black sleeve); believe he also exerted some influence, in that capacity, to get Cellini back to Alpha as well...

He is not in charge as commander, it was 1996 in the flashback scenes, Koenig still had a yellow sleeve.
http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/epimghd/tidd8.html
http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/images/spacehd/dd/spdd1509.jpg
Koenig and Bergman get re-assigned back on Earth after the failure of the 1996 Ultra Probe. Koenig returns as commander[black sleeve] on September 1999 ["Breakaway" episode].

This Space:1999 related site is in-depth. Here is a link to "Dragon's Domain":
http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/epguide/t23dd.html

Steve Gerard

Alphans
Thanks boatshewsd2, when I first saw the yellow and orange sleeves beginning in '75 I always thought it was just yellow sleeves. :eek: It was not until the catacombs site in the last several years that I was shown the truth. :D

boatshewsd2

Alphans
It's A Ball of Confusion...

Agreed; you almost have to see Sandra and Alan in a scene together (preferably Y1), to be able to discern the color difference! :?

Thanks boatshewsd2, when I first saw the yellow and orange sleeves beginning in '75 I always thought it was just yellow sleeves. :eek: It was not until the catacombs site in the last several years that I was shown the truth. :D

PeteQ

Alphans
I rewatched this episode recently. I think there are a couple of things which could have been improved upon.

When Cellini is the last survivor and he runs towards the command module, we see that whizzy thing which the dragon materialises out of. That gives the impression that the dragon can move or "teleport" - or perhaps there were more of the creatures? So it would have been good to see more of a "battle of wits" between Cellini and the dragon before Cellini escapes. Actually, that's much closer to what Ripley does in Alien. In that case, maybe if the story was a two-parter with a cliff hanger a la "Bringers of Wonder" to infer more tension between Cellini and the dragon.

The other point concerns the Space Commission. Whilst the actor who plays Commissioner Dixon is very effective in playing the "stoic bureaucrat" I think they could have use the backstory to add continuity to the disaster which blasted the moon out of orbit. i.e. Where Dixon says "There's nothing like a thumping dramatic failure for drying up the money supply," there could have been some allusions to the dumping of nuclear waste on the moon. In other words, whilst Dixon blames Cellini, Koenig and Bergman for the disaster, what if Dixon had been using them as "fall guys" for the scandal that nuclear waste disposal was getting out of control - that the Space Commission had f***ed up all along but were using the Ultra Probe crisis as a smoke screen?

johnnybear

Alphans
It is a great episode but the monster does let it down a bit. The sound effects are enough to scare the hell out of anyone but then we get this bizarre creature who has a light for an eye and a room for a mouth [ plus some obvious rubber tentacles where people twist around to make it look like they're being pulled towards the creature ] Ok the eye looked pretty good but the creature also seemed to be half physical [ it can get hurt ] and half supernatural. I know there was the hypnotism thing but the creature was killed off fairly easily at the end so why couldn't it have been killed earlier?

I don't know how you can say that the monster lets it down! It was terrifying to most of us seventies kids believe me and I for one couldn't wait for the repeat on the following Saturday! That noise and it's leathery brown skin were very good and despite the odd crease I'd still rate this episode above anything made today!
JB

johnnybear

Alphans
Why oh why didn't they get Philip Madoc back for one scene or two set on Alpha? He's sort of mentioned later on as my predecessor in Medical Centre but it would have been nice to see him on a screen or something as Gorski!
JB