Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

What's 'wrong' with the Dinky Mobile?

Ok Started to strip paint on my mobile - not as easy as it says on tin but its getting there
Looking forward to your latest update Odahs

Odahs

Alphans
Good to hear you have made a start with your mobile :thumbup:

Getting back to the upper section of the mobile, I checked again with templates and by this time knew just how much of it was going under clay, most of it!

Clay was put on to rough shape and will now be left to air dry before final shaping.

The last bit of this upper part that will need clay is around the 'grill' behind the cab roof. It should sit deeper, so needs a new outer edge or rim forming. As this will be delicate and prone to being damaged whilst working on other areas, the plan is to form it towards the end when the rest of the final shaping is done.

Ham Salad

Alphans
My, that's rather a lot of work, isn't it?

It seems it might have been easier to just discard the body and build from scratch...

Odahs

Alphans
My, that's rather a lot of work, isn't it?

It seems it might have been easier to just discard the body and build from scratch...

Yes and no. I certainly considered a scratch build, however there are several advantages of going this route.

I will have a perfect hollow shell, ideal for a 'squish mould' ready for resin casting. This would have been fairly difficult to fabricate at this scale without some form of solid base to work with.

I also have the solid chassis which will be treated the same way, and the two halves already form a perfect split line.

The general dimensions of the Dinky Mobile are very close to scale (actually they are pretty much exact), the clay is just really there to bulk it up in places - it is what it is at the end of the day.

Once moulded, I can pop as many mobiles as I need out of the moulds, so this work on one, is really work on a collection of four or more.

The clay is very easy to work with, slap it on and it sands so very easily when dry it won't be long before a corrected mobile pops out!

It's really not much different hours wise to correcting a typical garage resin kit. I've spent many more hours correcting plastic kits in the past than I have on this project, which has been pretty much an hour here and there when I have the time.

Saying all that though I'm going to follow this with a 1/72 scale Radio Control mobile that will be scratch built. That build will be plasticard and car body filler and some vac forming, so it will be interesting to compare the two methods. :thumbup:

Wow - how many will pop out of this master? - would love one to mate with an older chassis and get it to same scale as my others but look right

Odahs

Alphans
Theoretically as the master will survive, I could pop lots and lots of them.

Typically RTV silicone can survive many many casts and once it gets tired out, I could make another mould as I will still have the master. Depends how detailed it is really to just how many goes I get out of it without the results degrading.

At the moment the plan is to have a 'plain mould', so I can change minor detailing and later a 'detailed mould', which includes much of the surface detailing added to represent a generic mobile.

The chassis needs to be changed too, it's acting as a backbone for a rework like the body. A lot of material missing from the body needs to be added to the Dinky chassis. Hopefully that will make more sense when I show the chassis being worked with clay.

All will become clear - will watch for progress
Have my mobile stripped but not come up as clean as yours
did you sand yours down as I have a few marks where the paint was stripped

I'm lost again....

Odahs, this is all looking great but I start getting confused when people start talking about moulds and casts. Anyway, what clay is this again? And do you have to mix it up before applying it? Any and all hints and tips will be appreciated, but don't feel you have to spend any time on explanations - it's just fascinating watching each step you take.

Kindest regards

Patrick

Odahs

Alphans
Odahs, this is all looking great but I start getting confused when people start talking about moulds and casts. Anyway, what clay is this again? And do you have to mix it up before applying it? Any and all hints and tips will be appreciated, but don't feel you have to spend any time on explanations - it's just fascinating watching each step you take.

Kindest regards

Patrick

Hi Patrick, I don't mind explaining things at all.

The clay is DAS air drying modelling clay.

It comes in a foil sealed block. I roll it in my hands and knead it a little before use, there is no mixing and the consistency is about right out of the pack for most jobs.

It can be rolled, cut, shaped in the hands etc and has an indefinite work time as you can just wet it again and keep going. When left for a few days to air dry, it goes pure white and rock hard. Then it can be sanded, filed, re-wetted and bits added, pretty much you can do anything with it. It's totally non-toxic and pleasant to use too. To stick it to diecast, plastic or resin you just have to wet the surface of the item first.

Once I get my final shape the clay will need sealing before the moulding process, I use a few coats of polyeurethane varnish, which seals the clay and also I can work it to a nice smooth finish.

I'll do the whole mould (mold in the US!) process in pictures.

In words, what I'm making is a two part (male & female) 'squish mould', which is very well suited to smaller scale body shells.

Odahs

Alphans
All will become clear - will watch for progress
Have my mobile stripped but not come up as clean as yours
did you sand yours down as I have a few marks where the paint was stripped

Try giving it a go over with hand held wire brush, A small one with soft brass bristles sold for cleaning spark plugs is the sort of thing. It will brighten the whole thing up.

The small circular wire brushes that go in a mini-drill can be used, but will very quickly mirror polish to a very bright finish, not ideal if you plan to paint them again!

yarvelling

Alphans
Fascinating project! :) I've always liked the Dinky Mobile, even though it's wrong in so many areas! Even though it's not as close as the Interceptor was, it still managed to look like a Mobile, and a cool toy as well!! :) Just re-painting in a more realistic silver-grey and more screen accurate detailing and marking makes it look SO much better!!
I can't wait to see how your complete retooling of the model comes out! :) It's brilliantly inventive! :)

Odahs

Alphans
Thanks yarvelling :thumbup: Nice to see someone from my original home town on the forum, I was born in the West Suffolk Hospital and grew up about 12 miles away from Bury St. Eds. :)

Did some of the finishing work on the clay today, only this side of the body and the rear is getting close to finished at the moment, but it's a step in the right direction:

Need to do some filling in other areas where there has been some shrinkage of the clay, but in all it's coming on now.

Slate Mcleod

Alphans
That's coming along great ! When I see all of the changes you have made and I look at the thread title "what's 'wrong' with the Dink mobiles" - I think you have already answered that question, and it's pretty much everything (!) I am guessing apart from the detail behind the top of cab there will be nothing left of the Dinky body work left at all ?

Odahs

Alphans
That's coming along great ! When I see all of the changes you have made and I look at the thread title "what's 'wrong' with the Dink mobiles" - I think you have already answered that question, and it's pretty much everything (!) I am guessing apart from the detail behind the top of cab there will be nothing left of the Dinky body work left at all ?

That's true but it would be fair to say It's not all that wrong, it's only really surface detail changes and a bit of padding here and there. Not much difference in essence to say taking a plastic kit with raised panel lines, sanding them off and etching new ones, whilst at the same time taking the opportunity to correct contours.

Once worked down the clay is only about half a millimeter thick in places. That this approach is possible suggests there isn't too much wrong with the original regarding basic dimensions and proportions. Mostly a case of heavy detailing and it being a bit 'boxy' which is pretty much the norm for a diecast from the 70's.

The further I got into it, the more I decided not to compromise anywhere too. There could be many options of improving on the original Dinky Mobile without going as far as I have, if one were willing to compromise a little.

There is also the cost factor, at £5.50 from ebay for a mobile with no tracks, bent axles, smashed windscreen etc, it's probably the cheapest model I've made for several decades!

Looking forward to getting some time on it this week, not had any opportunities to work on it for a while now. :)

Last edited:
Got a couple of shots of it primed - will work out how to load them
and then get one with the blue - and if the sun comes out no flash
as it appears almost white :O