Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

When the future was black and white

Callamon

Alphans
Those three models have been a little painting excercise for myself: I wanted to show tham as seen "on screen", and because those are all from old movies that means in black and white (grayscales) only. All kits are from Skyhhok models.

They are form the movies "20 Million miles to earth", "Earth vs. Flying saucers" and "The day the earth stood still":

This is NOT a black & white picture! Here is the proof:

Some closeups:

SteveDix

Alphans
Excellent work!

I presume you've seen the large "Earth Vs The Flying Saucers" model in the Sony centre in Berlin?

Very nice. But did you use actual metallic for the craft? It looks like you did, where surely Non-Metallic Metal technique would have fitted your theme better.

Callamon

Alphans
where surely Non-Metallic Metal technique would have fitted your theme better.

In principle I agree, but when you watch old movies silver stuff looks... well, silver. There is that special kind of reflections that you won't get while using any kind of grey, so I decided to use aluminium as the color for the silver looking items of the models.

Transporter

Alphans
Nice thread! You made some nice models and I especially like that you chose to make them look like they looked at the time: black and white and of course, silver.

I recently (3 weeks ago) finished my full scratch built "Orion" from the German TV show "Raumpatrouille Orion" in 1/500 scale.
This show was made in 1965/66 and there were only 7 episodes. For its time it was a great show and – not to forget – it was made one year before the famous Star Trek in the US.
For those who do not know this show: http://www.orionspace.de/ww/de/pub/english.htm

Originally I intended to make a resin kit out of this model, but because there already are some quite good reproductions, I only built the one you see on the pic. (after many, many years...:-/)

The octagonal access tube is fixed to the main hull and to the ground with some strong magnets. The ground is a "Warhammer" crater base.

Like with the Eagle, you learn a lot about the "Orion" when building it. So in the meantime I could do it much better, but that will probably have to wait for another decade...

Attachments

• IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 19

Callamon

Alphans
I recently (3 weeks ago) finished my full scratch built "Orion" from the German TV show "Raumpatrouille Orion"

Very nice! I created two papermodels of the ORION in the last years, the classic black and white version and also the colored card game one.

Here are some pictures of the colored version, using thin laser cut acrylic parts for the transparent areas:

Transporter

Alphans
Very nice. So I have seen your pictures before. My transparent parts were all cut by hand...:D, not with the help of a devilish machine...:lol:

To me it was early on very clear, that I wanted to portrait the Orion the way it was made for TV and the way I watched it at the time as a little boy and now on DVD.

Still need to make better pics...

Cheers, Ron

SteveDix

Alphans
I recently (3 weeks ago) finished my full scratch built "Orion" from the German TV show "Raumpatrouille Orion" in 1/500 scale.
This show was made in 1965/66 and there were only 7 episodes. For its time it was a great show and – not to forget – it was made one year before the famous Star Trek in the US.
For those who do not know this show: http://www.orionspace.de/ww/de/pub/english.htm

You may not know this, but a lot of the artwork from "Raumpatroulle" was published in the UK in a book by Peter Elson(?) around about 1979 (when, due to Star Wars, anything with interesting spaceships flew off the bookshelves) with accompanying stories. The stories weren't anything to do with the series, and had been made up based on the artwork. "Orion" actually was used as the baddies space ship.

I've got the complete DVDs of the show. I watched them to improve my German, while I was doing my ironing (which seems appropriate....) Ich kann ihr alles über Warpantrieb erzählen, aber täglich Deutsch verstehe ich nicht. :-/

SteveDix

Alphans
No - there is one? Cool... I didn't know that!

Apparently it's the largest of the three flying saucer models that Ray Harryhausen's father built for him, turning them out of aluminium on his lathe.

RH explains that the biggest is in the Sony Centre in the extras on the blu-ray release of "Earth vs The Flying Saucers".. .which is, by the way, colourised. Fortunately they also have the original monochrome version on there.