Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Who Made best Interceptor?

tweaker

Alphans
New to site, but was wondering who made the best kit version of the MoonBase Interceptor?

The only one I am aware of is the one from Bandai.

Knight1966

Alphans
For some reason the Interceptor hasn't featured very high with kit producers and the Bandai is also the only plastic injection kit I'm aware of, there have been a couple of garage kits which all have their plus and minus points.
Comet had a resin and white metal kit out some years back and is roughly in scale with the Dinky Toy Interceptor, coming in at 8/9" overall shape is good and reasonably accurate and builds into a nice little model, personally I found the white metal leg struts fiddly to work with along with the 'fin'.

ENA, again some years ago now and not (to my knowledge) still in production or available brought out a 'studio scale' version with Fibreglass main body and resin parts, not massively accurate but with work the inaccuracies can be worked out, mine is still very much a WIP but since finding someone locally that can help me produce aluminium and brass replacement parts I hope to move on with this, this year.

lastly Sixteen 12 are releasing their 'Studio scale' replica this year based I believe on Martin Bowers replica, however this will remain highly overpriced and out of reach for most.

While researching this I've just found this site, link removed (See above) well worth a look.

Last edited:

Knight1966

Alphans
These Renders are Stunningly beautiful, this guy should be on the UFO movie Staff.

URL removed, site has been hacked

Last edited:

Retroboy

Alphans
Wow! now that's what I mean about tweaking the original designs to make them look real in the new movie . These renders stunningly show how UFO's model work can easily be transfered to the big screen for a new audience , case closed . Brilliant stuff .

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
I have ALREADY produced a "kit" cast off the studio original small 1/32 moonbase interceptor I own......actually I owe a couple to people on here ...ooops....have them now...expect them shortly

The 1/18th original I have is also going into rubber soon, together with my big Sky 1 and angel Interceptor...plus other stuff
saw the SIXTEEN 12 PROTO....hmmmm just how inaccurate can you get?....why oh why didn't they contact me?....same with there scarlet Puppet...I offered them help and they just didn't want to know....why do we "support" these jerks and their inferior products?...their big hawk is also pooh...imo...I have 3 available and they are 99% accurate. Sidon ship coming soon too.
Phil

paulcarson

Alphans
Very nice ! It would certainly help the look of the show if they used renders like those shown. Looking forward to seeing what they do come up with.

I bet those lucky few who bought these casts from you Phil are salivating at the thought of having that in their hands pretty soon ! I know I would be !

tweaker

Alphans
Knight 1966, thanks for all the info. Like you said... for some reason, the Interceptor is one kit that just never made the GK run like others had. :(

deraenged, interesting project you have, but from what others have posted, I guess that might be out of my reach.... currently. :cry:

RCnut

Alphans
The 1/18th original I have is also going into rubber soon, together with my big Sky 1 and angel Interceptor...plus other stuff

Hey Phil, put me down for a big Sky 1 if you do em:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

alfalfa

Alphans
tweaker have you got/started the bandai? I was fancying one but they seem to suffer from the usual mix of poor detail and lots of silly things like most GA Japanese kits. I've got 10 started and abandoned TB and Captain S kits.

MkIXHawk

Alphans
With patience, the Bandai actually builds up into a nice little replica:

http://www.century21models.talktalk.net/Interceptor.htm

the body does have the correct outline - the major changes were replacing the pilot bust with a properly-detailed cockpit, reshaping the missile nose, replacing the 'bubble' cockpit canopy with a piece made from clear styrene, detailing the engine and replacing the legs with finer items made from aluminium

Oh, you'll have to replace the decals

tweaker

Alphans
alfalfa wrote:
tweaker have you got/started the bandai?

Picked one up awhile ago and was surprised about the looks of this kit. :cry: I expected better from a Japanese kit.

MkIXHawk wrote:
the body does have the correct outline - the major changes were replacing the pilot bust with a properly-detailed cockpit, reshaping the missile nose, replacing the 'bubble' cockpit canopy with a piece made from clear styrene, detailing the engine and replacing the legs with finer items made from aluminium

Oh... is that all I have to do :*:

My scratch building technics are not up there but that is what I gathered from looking at this kit.

alfalfa

Alphans
With patience, the Bandai actually builds up into a nice little replica:

http://www.century21models.talktalk.net/Interceptor.htm

I see it only took the guy 13 years to do.

:wtf: Thanks for saving me £70.:thumbup:

It would have joined the SPV, Spectrum Helicopter, TB 1, SPC, Zero X, etc Jap kits that I started and lost patience with:cry:

ghighino

Alphans
I have ALREADY produced a "kit" cast off the studio original small 1/32 moonbase interceptor I own......actually I owe a couple to people on here ...ooops....have them now...expect them shortly

saw the SIXTEEN 12 PROTO....hmmmm just how inaccurate can you get?....why oh why didn't they contact me?....same with there scarlet Puppet...I offered them help and they just didn't want to know....why do we "support" these jerks and their inferior products?...their big hawk is also pooh...imo...I have 3 available and they are 99% accurate. Sidon ship coming soon too.
Phil

Hi!
Of course I know few years have passed but I'd like to know if this 1/32 scale interceptor is still available...Thanks!:)
Stefano