Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Y2's Third War; sensible or nonesense?

Senmut

Alphans
Okay, we know what Koenig told Maya. I mentioned this in the orher ROL thread, :) :) but I think it needs a seperate one.
IF there had been so all-encompassing a war as it sounds like, would Alpha even exist? To me, with whole countries and cities in ruins, what money and resources remaining would more likely be expended on rebuilding the world's infrastructure and economies, not to mention securing food production and helping the millions of sick and injured survivors. While weather and resources satellites make sense, the hundreds of billions it would take to build and supply Alpha, along with a fleet of Eagles stationed here, not to mention the waste dumps, et al, would seem better spent at home, following such a cataclysm.
Just my take.
Y'all?

Bishop

Alphans
I was not perhaps the best plot device to use as it doesn't fit in with Series 1. UFO fits in better, though its a tight squeeze.

DX-SFX

Alphans
Nonsense. I always thought that scene was a bit of cheesy (unnecessary) melodrama. No mention or reference to such a mega event is ever made by any character in either series at any time other than that one moment. It's a bit like say, "oh, by the way, we had world war three a few years ago but we don't like to talk about it". Trying to shoehorn such a global catastrophe into Space 1999 timeline lore once again shows contempt for what had already been pretty clearly established with series one.

alienation

Alphans
Actually, the war was a way way back, in the mid 80s, nearly 15 years before. (something many of us in the 70s thought was inevitable)
Techonology was also way advanced, so building techniques and such were greatly improved.
Countries can recover from war. Look at Japan now vs in the late 40s.
Wars tend to produce strange aftereffects. I doubt Israel would even exist today if the horrible events of WWII didn't set it in motion to eventually become a country.
A great war that made the survors come together, who knows what they could create once they realize they were going to live.

DX-SFX

Alphans
It still struck me as odd that such a fairly major event was never mentioned or referenced before in any form. I remember cringing when I first heard it and inwardly thinking WTF? It was a clumsily executed attempt to make a Star Trek style social comment in my view and had Fried-Burger written all over it.

saturnapollo

Alphans
I would think it would take a great deal more than 15 years to recover from WWIII, as most of the technology would be destroyed. It would also I suggest take more than 15 years to establish a base like Alpha, so that's 30 years gone right away!

I always thought Gerry Anderson had extrapolated from the early 1970s space programme the way the programme could have gone with sufficient funds and commitment of many nations and that would (optimistically) might have seen a base on the Moon. And that was the best case scenario without any war interfering!

Keith

Last edited:

DX-SFX

Alphans
Not forgetting all the missions in the past that stories revolved around that would've happened very soon after if not during the conflict. I still think it was a cheap sci fi cliche. It illustrates perfectly the wisdom of establishing a background story for each character before you shoot a single episode. It could've added an extra dimension to Koenig's character if the audience knew about it more or less from the start.

CR

Alphans
Well, the series 1 writer's guide was in a couple of old Starlog issues, and is transcribed somewhere in The Catacombs, and it doesn't mention a war either. Pretty big omission. :roll:

On the other hand, I don't think Koenig's description of WWIII suggests all-out thermonuclear war that destroyed everything. Sounds more like it was all-out conventional warfare with limited nuclear exchanges, which would have allowed for a more rapid recovery. But it's still a shoehorned-in cliche to me.

alienation

Alphans
i do agree that it had Frieburger all over it, but at the time, many of else felt such a war was inevitable by the late 90s, and families living in space by 2000 seemed still a real possiblitly back in the mid 70s.

CR

Alphans
I grew up then, too, but I always felt that it was an 'either-or' thing... either we'd have nuclear war, or live on the moon, but not both. Turns out we got neither.

DX-SFX

Alphans
There was a famous poster at the time that had a picture of a mushroom cloud and the text, "Nuclear War is only inevitable as long as we believe it is". That always stuck with me and I've always believed that it's insane to think there's no possible alternative.

CR

Alphans
Ah, the 'self-fulfilling prophecy' thing. Interesting. I'd not seen that poster. (I'd seen a more cynical one of a mushroom cloud with the caption "I think we got him." 'Him' could refer to anyone, of course; it's the idea of overkill that the poster portrayed.)

Senmut

Alphans
I never saw such a poster, but one T-shirt I saw, with Red Square in the crosshairs and a caption of "Hey Moscow! Up yours!" was pretty cool.
I never believed that a nuclear war would happen. Was certain it wouldn't. Guess I was right. I also was perhaps stupid enough to believe that the space program would be allowed to grow and develop.
Silly me.

Bishop

Alphans
I still could of course, but it won't be the people we thought would push the button first who actually start it if it ever does.

Senmut

Alphans
Well, if some terrorist group gets ahold of a nuke, even a low-yield one, it could make for a lousy week. But a nuclear war between nations...no. I don't think so.

cmdrkoenig67

Alphans
I never thought it fit well...Shoe-horned, is a good description. Much of the episode made little sense, anyway...Oh, that Charlie Woodgrove (FF)...Quite the writer. :p

Dana

VTracy

Alphans
Let's face it, there are so many incosistencies between y1 and y2, It's almost easier to consider them two similar but different Alphas. Maybe in this "alternative" Alpha, there was a WWWIII.

Anyway, y2 Alpha seems to be more advanced than y1. So maybe they could've recovered faster, or maybe they already had most of the moonbase established before the war.

Senmut

Alphans
i do agree that it had Frieburger all over it, but at the time, many of else felt such a war was inevitable by the late 90s, and families living in space by 2000 seemed still a real possiblitly back in the mid 70s.

It sure did back then. While I'm glad the war part didn't happen, I would have dearly loved to see the "families living in space" part come true.
Sigh.