Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Year 2 Blu ray

gwent

Alphans
Very sad news for year 2 fans (yes year one is better but I was still very much looking forward to year 2). I absolutely hate when companies do things like this. The only reason the sales were so low to begin with for the original A&E sets is because they cost a fortune since they were released in many different "packs" of episodes, and the extras were lousy when the discs first started coming out. I know because I was suckered into buying them as they were released, not knowing they would be released cheaper later as a megaset.

I'm not sure why the blu-rays didn't seel so well - I thought they were selling ok? Maybe many people spent so much on the A&E DVDs that they didn't want to spend more to upgrade?

So what happens to the year 2 episodes they already remastered? They just toss them? I'm amazed a company will begin something like this and then cancel it in the middle. What a shame.

rockwellcm

Alphans
the reason why Blu Ray is not popular in the UK is because of Cable and Satellite TV which can be recorded,i know few people who get all excited about HD (apart from me) i think its a case of a repackage too much,for most the DVD is the better option with supermarkets selling the latest titles a few months on for £3-5

cricket

Alphans
This is a disappointment. While mostly a Y1 fan, I was really looking forward to seeing what they would do with the material. Rats.

the reason why Blu Ray is not popular in the UK is because of Cable and Satellite TV which can be recorded,i know few people who get all excited about HD (apart from me) i think its a case of a repackage too much,for most the DVD is the better option with supermarkets selling the latest titles a few months on for £3-5

I think you're right there and I bet most people aren't that bothered about HD. It's nice to have as great a picture as possible but I'm not forking out a lot more money for a slightly better picture as DVD's are very good anyway.

And as I was saying - Blu Ray can bring out the flaws too. Some of the Blu Ray shots I've seen make the moons surface look too bright with not enough shadow.

These companies seem to think they can constantly upgrade the picture by a tiny amount and people will fork out more and more for it.

I'm only buying Space 1999 Blu Rays if they ever include revamped special effects etc.

Tim Smith

Alphans
I just read this posted on the UFO Series website that A& E has discontinued all Gerry Anderson products due to low sales. This also means the cancellation of Y2 Blu-Ray.

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=356419

KP

The worst part is, for many of us the only way to see the early series is on DVD, and no one here bothers to ever show UFO or Space:1999. Companies only see dollar signs with Star Trek and Star Wars, so you deluged with those franchises, and get nothing from the lesser known shows. YAWN. Thanks A&E...you were "our only hope." Glad you'll save a penny.

Tim Smith

Alphans
I think you're right there and I bet most people aren't that bothered about HD. It's nice to have as great a picture as possible but I'm not forking out a lot more money for a slightly better picture as DVD's are very good anyway.

And as I was saying - Blu Ray can bring out the flaws too. Some of the Blu Ray shots I've seen make the moons surface look too bright with not enough shadow.

These companies seem to think they can constantly upgrade the picture by a tiny amount and people will fork out more and more for it.

I'm only buying Space 1999 Blu Rays if they ever include revamped special effects etc.

Bluray makes the great effects shots they did well outstanding, but anything flat or with shortcuts really shows. For having had to watch Space:1999 in fuzzy UHF, the bluray picture quality has to be seen to be appreciated. It was money well spent!

NeoGoglu

Alphans
It was money well spent!

I agree, out of all the Blu-Ray discs i bought, Space 1999 season 1, comes first way ahead, 2001 is second in line.

Too bad we will never see UFO or the season 2 in HD,
i think they were expecting a similar situation,
perhaps that's the reason why we got 'The Metamorph' as a bonus.

Last edited:

Tim Smith

Alphans
I agree, out of all the Blu-Ray discs i bought, Space 1999 season 1, comes first way ahead, 2001 is second in line.

Too bad we will never see UFO or the season 2 in HD,
i think they were expecting a similar situation,
perhaps that's the reason why we got 'The Metamorph' as a bonus.

I also had hopes for year 2, UFO, and Thunderbirds in BR. I wonder if someone else can pick these series up , and do some decent extras this time. One way A&E shot themselves in the foot was by doing such poor transfers of Year 1 and by awful or non-existent extras, while the Region 2 disks were full of extras. Work like that makes you wonder....

gwent

Alphans

The jump in quality between DVD and Blu-ray is far more than tiny. As the owner of a 51" plasma, I can tell you that there is an enormous difference - every bit as dramatic, in fact far more so, than the leap from VHS to DVD. DVDs just don't hold up so great on a large screen set - DVDs were never meant to be seen on such a large screen. Sure, they can look fairly descent with good upconversion, but there's absolutely no comparison between DVD and Blu-ray. I've been watching season 1 of the new Galactica on Blu-ray and it looks phenomenal. DVD couldn't come close.

The flaws that Blu-ray can bring out is trivial next to the amazing clarity and sharpness of the image. I've never seen Space:1999 look so amazing as it does on Blu-ray. That's from a fan who has seen many different broadcasts over the years, as well as VHS and DVD releases. The Blu-ray set puts them all to shame. Watching the Blu-rays of 1999 was like seeing it for the very first time - the discs really showcase the incredible sets and model work. If you don't like Blu-ray, fine, but don't dismiss the vast improvement in picture quality (not to mention uncompressed sound) as a "tiny" improvement. On a 27" set, no, you may not notice much of a difference. On a 51" set, you can bet you'll see the difference.

Here's a comment from a review on Space:1999 on Blu-ray from tvoftheabsurd.com:

"We put the 30th Anniversary Edition in the DVD player and the new Blu-ray edition in the Blu-ray player then ran them both through an HD TV. We started the same episode in both players then flipped back and forth comparing scene after scene. There's no question that Blu-ray is a step up, and not just a small step... If you already own the complete series on DVD, bite the bullet and pick up Space: 1999: The Complete Season One on Blu-ray, it's worth it for the bonus features and the amazing upgrade in quality"

Your statement that the quality is marginal or tiny is simply false.

And last time I looked in a store, every tv sold is HD. So I would imagine most people are interested in HD since every tv purchased now is HD. Even my girlfriend's parents, who have absolutely no interest in technology, now own an HDTV. Also, good blu-ray players are well under $100 now, plus blu-rays are coming down in price (if you're not stupid and buy from Amazon instead of your local Best Buy). Most of the Blu-rays I purchase are around $15 - $20, with some much lower. That's cheaper than what I used to spend on DVDs, and the resolution is 6 times greater. And, incidentally, the cost of season 1 on Blu-ray was far cheaper than season 1 on DVD, both the earlier way overpriced A&E set and also the much better but still expensive Network set.

I, for one, would not have bought year 1 on Blu-ray if the effects were replaced by cgi, unless the originals were also included, like the Star Trek Blu-rays.

I guess it doesn't matter any more anyways. No UFO, no Thunderbirds, no Year 2. Very disappointing.

Last edited:

shadokp

Alphans
Well let's hope for a Network release of Year 2 and UFO.... unless that isn't going to happen. Does anyone know? One thing that might have hurt A&E was that the Network Blu-rays work in the United States.

KP

Thats not born out by the statistics, Blu-ray sales are steadily on the rise, which is no mean achievement in these tough economic times. More and more esoteric programmes and films are being released in the format - for example 'The Witchfinder General' , Dark Star, The Bed Sitting Room, Deep End and 'For all Mankind' have been released on BD - that does not smack of a format that no one is interested or bothered about. The format itself may get overtaken (by an on-line format no doubt) but HD is here to stay and people want it, that is quite clear.

Blu-ray offers a quantum leap in advancement of picture and sound quality - just compare the 2001 DVD (which was very good as DVDs go) to the Blu-ray the difference is huge and the film is simply stunning in Blu-ray.

An extract from a review of 2001 BD, by the Hi-def website.

Admittedly, '2001: A Space Odyssey' isn't for everyone -- but in my opinion it's the single most important science fiction film in the history of cinema. It has influenced film as we know it and deserves all of the clout and recognition that can be heaped on its silent shoulders. Likewise, this Blu-ray edition is a must-have release, featuring a jaw-droppingly gorgeous transfer, an elaborate PCM audio track, and a wealth of supplemental features. It's an upgrade in every sense of the word and may just be the easiest twenty dollars I'll ever spend.

The full and lengthy review can be found here:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/453/2001aspaceodyssey.html

To suggest the advancement and upgrade in quality is tiny, is simply not correct.

Marty...

Last edited:

shadokp

Alphans
I have to wonder how many people have their HD TVs set up properly. I can only imagine that in some cases they are not using an HDMI cable or their settings are not configured properly.

If you have HD cable and notice that the quality is just a little better than SD that may be because cable heavily compresses the signal. Blu ray looks a lot better than most HD cable.

Of course my wife notices the big difference between DVD and HD but doesn't really care. Some people are fine with watching lower quality images. If you watch HD for a week or two, try to go back to SD and see the difference. In the case of Space: 1999 and movies such as 2001, it is like night and day or B&W and color.

The jump in quality between DVD and Blu-ray is far more than tiny. As the owner of a 51" plasma, I can tell you that there is an enormous difference - every bit as dramatic, in fact far more so, than the leap from VHS to DVD. DVDs just don't hold up so great on a large screen set - DVDs were never meant to be seen on such a large screen. Sure, they can look fairly descent with good upconversion, but there's absolutely no comparison between DVD and Blu-ray. I've been watching season 1 of the new Galactica on Blu-ray and it looks phenomenal. DVD couldn't come close.

The flaws that Blu-ray can bring out is trivial next to the amazing clarity and sharpness of the image. I've never seen Space:1999 look so amazing as it does on Blu-ray. That's from a fan who has seen many different broadcasts over the years, as well as VHS and DVD releases. The Blu-ray set puts them all to shame. Watching the Blu-rays of 1999 was like seeing it for the very first time - the discs really showcase the incredible sets and model work. If you don't like Blu-ray, fine, but don't dismiss the vast improvement in picture quality (not to mention uncompressed sound) as a "tiny" improvement. On a 27" set, no, you may not notice much of a difference. On a 51" set, you can bet you'll see the difference.

Here's a comment from a review on Space:1999 on Blu-ray from tvoftheabsurd.com:

"We put the 30th Anniversary Edition in the DVD player and the new Blu-ray edition in the Blu-ray player then ran them both through an HD TV. We started the same episode in both players then flipped back and forth comparing scene after scene. There's no question that Blu-ray is a step up, and not just a small step... If you already own the complete series on DVD, bite the bullet and pick up Space: 1999: The Complete Season One on Blu-ray, it's worth it for the bonus features and the amazing upgrade in quality"

Your statement that the quality is marginal or tiny is simply false.

And last time I looked in a store, every tv sold is HD. So I would imagine most people are interested in HD since every tv purchased now is HD. Even my girlfriend's parents, who have absolutely no interest in technology, now own an HDTV. Also, good blu-ray players are well under $100 now, plus blu-rays are coming down in price (if you're not stupid and buy from Amazon instead of your local Best Buy). Most of the Blu-rays I purchase are around $15 - $20, with some much lower. That's cheaper than what I used to spend on DVDs, and the resolution is 6 times greater. And, incidentally, the cost of season 1 on Blu-ray was far cheaper than season 1 on DVD, both the earlier way overpriced A&E set and also the much better but still expensive Network set.

I, for one, would not have bought year 1 on Blu-ray if the effects were replaced by cgi, unless the originals were also included, like the Star Trek Blu-rays.

I guess it doesn't matter any more anyways. No UFO, no Thunderbirds, no Year 2. Very disappointing.

Fair points but how many people have 51" sets? I've got a 37 inch screen and my dvd's look great on them. And don't forget as I said before when I talk about revamped effects I'm not talking about replacing all the superb model work with cgi like in Star Trek.

Just enhancements here and there like wire removal and a few replacement/added on shots.

Thats not born out by the statistics, Blu-ray sales are steadily on the rise, which is no mean achievement in these tough economic times. More and more esoteric programmes and films are being released in the format - for example 'The Witchfinder General' , Dark Star, The Bed Sitting Room, Deep End and 'For all Mankind' have been released on BD - that does not smack of a format that no one is interested or bothered about. The format itself may get overtaken (by an on-line format no doubt) but HD is here to stay and people want it, that is quite clear.

Blu-ray offers a quantum leap in advancement of picture and sound quality - just compare the 2001 DVD (which was very good as DVDs go) to the Blu-ray the difference is huge and the film is simply stunning in Blu-ray.

An extract from a review of 2001 BD, by the Hi-def website.

Admittedly, '2001: A Space Odyssey' isn't for everyone -- but in my opinion it's the single most important science fiction film in the history of cinema. It has influenced film as we know it and deserves all of the clout and recognition that can be heaped on its silent shoulders. Likewise, this Blu-ray edition is a must-have release, featuring a jaw-droppingly gorgeous transfer, an elaborate PCM audio track, and a wealth of supplemental features. It's an upgrade in every sense of the word and may just be the easiest twenty dollars I'll ever spend.

The full and lengthy review can be found here:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/453/2001aspaceodyssey.html

To suggest the advancement and upgrade in quality is tiny, is simply not correct.

Marty...

I'm not denying Blu Ray sales are on the rise but whether they're rising as fast as expected I don't know. All I know is - unless the Blu Ray offers something substantially different [ like new or revamped special effects ] I'm certainly in no hurry to buy any of them when the quality of dvds are still very good.

I know some people moan about George Lucas and his Star Wars tinkering but the only thing that's got me recently thinking about getting a Blu Ray player is to see any new effects on the Star Wars Blu Rays.

Again, I'm in no hurry to upgrade my Space 1999 dvds even if there's a big improvement in picture. I know that Gwent says the more obvious flaws are a small price to pay for the big difference in picture quality but I didn't like those screenshots I saw of the moon which looked too bright with not enough shadow.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there's many people like me who aren't in any hurry to get the Blu Rays either as they have the dvds - and that could well explain the lack of sales.

gwent

Alphans
If you want to deprive yourself of an incredible viewing experience with 1999 on blu-ray, just because of a few screenshots that appear to look "too bright with not enough shadow", that's of course up to you. Read any review on the 1999 blu-rays. Or just ask those of us here that own them. I don't know what screenshots you're referring to but I saw all 24 episodes on blu-ray, and I was amazed every time an effects shot appeared. In fact, I was amazed consistently throughout. The sets looked gorgeous, like I was actually there. I saw detail in computer panels I never saw before. I could see the texture in their clothes. And the model work never looked better.

Still, some people cannot be reached. To not see this series on blu-ray, which is easily the best it has ever looked, ever, based on 1 screenshot where the moon appears to be too light, is just silly. The series has hundreds and hundreds of visual effects shots. To my picky eyes, they never looked better. Color, contrast, and brightness were as close to perfect as you could ever hope to get on a show such as this. To think how I used to watch it on UHF early mornings in the 90's. You're the one missing out. But it's a shame because I guess we all miss out since season 2 is cancelled.

MADsen

Alphans
Will it´s too bad that A/E have stopped producing the Blue Ray edition of Space 1999 second session.

Space 1999 Second session on Blue Ray from A/E, isn´t it a Region 1 product or was it gonna be a world wide availablity :think: ?

I'm not denying Blu Ray sales are on the rise but whether they're rising as fast as expected I don't know. All I know is - unless the Blu Ray offers something substantially different [ like new or revamped special effects ] I'm certainly in no hurry to buy any of them when the quality of dvds are still very good.

I know some people moan about George Lucas and his Star Wars tinkering but the only thing that's got me recently thinking about getting a Blu Ray player is to see any new effects on the Star Wars Blu Rays.

Again, I'm in no hurry to upgrade my Space 1999 dvds even if there's a big improvement in picture. I know that Gwent says the more obvious flaws are a small price to pay for the big difference in picture quality but I didn't like those screenshots I saw of the moon which looked too bright with not enough shadow.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there's many people like me who aren't in any hurry to get the Blu Rays either as they have the dvds - and that could well explain the lack of sales.

A little bit contradictory methinks. Blu-ray sales are rising and more and more disperate and obscure films and programmes are starting to appear. Every new sell through product is produced in Blu-ray, this clearly shows a format going from strength to strength, that is a simple matter of fact.

I for one would not buy them if the studios started meddling with films and inserting CGI or new effects or altering them in any way, to me (and others I suspect) it would be an unadulterated and mindless act of vandalism.

Look at this, the 5 original Planet of the Apes movies in Blu-ray (again stunning picture quality) for 15 spondulaks and the set is rammed full of extras including both versions of 'Conquest'. One of which has not been seen since it's intial theatrical roadshow showings.

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/...urce=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

The Prisoner on Blu-ray is another to add to the list of programmes that have been well served with very good quality DVDs, but the upgrade to Blu-ray totally transforms it.

If your happy with SD and want to stay with, thats absolutely fine. But when you clearly don't have Blu-ray and reads like you have not seen Blu-ray first hand, to make a judgement from a screen shot that was probably in SD and may have been distorted in some manner, is frankly bizarre. Try it out first hand and then comment - if you still don't like it, you can then air your opinion with a degree of authority - this is something you can't do at the moment.

If you do convert to BD, I would suggest the PS3 as the way to go, it is still one of the best players on the market (Sony effectively designed Blu-Ray for the PS3) and given all the other features one gets with a PS3 one gets lot of bang for bucks.

Marty...

Last edited:
If you want to deprive yourself of an incredible viewing experience with 1999 on blu-ray, just because of a few screenshots that appear to look "too bright with not enough shadow", that's of course up to you. Read any review on the 1999 blu-rays. Or just ask those of us here that own them. I don't know what screenshots you're referring to but I saw all 24 episodes on blu-ray, and I was amazed every time an effects shot appeared. In fact, I was amazed consistently throughout. The sets looked gorgeous, like I was actually there. I saw detail in computer panels I never saw before. I could see the texture in their clothes. And the model work never looked better.

Still, some people cannot be reached. To not see this series on blu-ray, which is easily the best it has ever looked, ever, based on 1 screenshot where the moon appears to be too light, is just silly. The series has hundreds and hundreds of visual effects shots. To my picky eyes, they never looked better. Color, contrast, and brightness were as close to perfect as you could ever hope to get on a show such as this. To think how I used to watch it on UHF early mornings in the 90's. You're the one missing out. But it's a shame because I guess we all miss out since season 2 is cancelled.

I'm not for one minute saying I won't buy them in the future or that most of the picture and sound hasn't been improved - but as I said I'm in no hurry to buy them.

For a start I'm gonna wait to see if the price on them drops as the last time I looked they were quite expensive. This could also be a reason why they haven't sold as well as hoped because people might also be waiting for the price to drop on them.

I also don't own a Blu Ray player at the moment and as I also said - improved sound and picture isn't enough to make me want to rush out and buy them. The dvd picture and sound might not be as good but it's ok for me at the moment.

A little bit contradictory methinks. Blu-ray sales are rising and more and more disperate and obscure films and programmes are starting to appear. Every new sell through product is produced in Blu-ray, this clearly shows a format going from strength to strength, that is a simple matter of fact.

I for one would not buy them if the studios started meddling with films and inserting CGI or new effects or altering them in any way, to me (and others I suspect) it would be an unadulterated and mindless act of vandalism.

Look at this, the 5 original Planet of the Apes movies in Blu-ray (again stunning picture quality) for 15 spondulaks and the set is rammed full of extras including both versions of 'Conquest'. One of which has not been seen since it's intial theatrical roadshow showings.

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/...urce=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

The Prisoner on Blu-ray is another to add to the list of programmes that have been well served with very good quality DVDs, but the upgrade to Blu-ray totally transforms it.

If your happy with SD and want to stay with, thats absolutely fine. But when you clearly don't have Blu-ray and reads like you have not seen Blu-ray first hand, to make a judgement from a screen shot that was probably in SD and may have been distorted in some manner, is frankly bizarre. Try it out first hand and then comment - if you still don't like it, you can then air your opinion with a degree of authority - this is something you can't do at the moment.

If you do convert to BD, I would suggest the PS3 as the way to go, it is still one of the best players on the market (Sony effectively designed Blu-Ray for the PS3) and given all the other features one gets with a PS3 one gets lot of bang for bucks.

Marty...

How is saying that - "I'm not denying Blu Ray sales are on the rise but whether they're rising as fast as expected I don't know"

And then saying - "and that could well explain the lack of sales" contradictory?

Also, If you wouldn't buy the series with a few new effects and some tweaks here and there then that's up to you - but I bet many others would buy it. And what on earth is wrong with that if the original is still available?

How can that be vandalism if you can still watch the original series untouched? If you don't want to watch something like that fine - but that doesn't mean all Space 1999 fans wouldn't want to see the show with some revamped effects and being brought more up to date special effects wise.

If you'd read my past posts you'll see that I'm not advocating getting rid of all the superb model work at all. Just a few tweaks like wire removal, maybe a few new cgi shots and a few other small changes here and there.

It worked with Star Trek and they replaced everything in that with cgi [ again something I'm not advocating ]. Ok, not everyone liked it but a lot of people did like it.

That's the only way I'd hurry out and buy the Blu Rays i.e. - if they offered something totally different.

I can handle not seeing so much texture on their uniforms or a few computer panels for a while.

Last edited: