Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Year 2 Blu ray

gogs100

Alphans
Looks like Season 2 is out there on Blu already. At only 4 discs for the entire 48 episodes, though, the picture quality must be on a par with VHS tapes.

stiki

Alphans
I can confirm that the German 4 disc Blu-Ray is in Standard Definition as there are 12 episodes on each disc. (I have Volumes 3 & 4). They are perfectly acceptable as viewing copies but not up to the standard of the Network Year One release.

However the first 12 episodes of Year Two have also been issued in High Definition DVD in Germany as "Mondbasis Alpha 1" - Season 3. I've yet to purchase this title so cannot comment on quality.

Anyone else seen the German 3D Blu-Ray release of the first 4 episodes of Year One?
It's quite interesting to look at as the show obviously wasn't made for the 3D format - the moon moving through space (away from the camera was impressive) but the prints seem to be sub Network quality and although the packaging claims an English soundtrack I've yet to find it on my machine...

SteveDix

Alphans
However the first 12 episodes of Year Two have also been issued in High Definition DVD in Germany as "Mondbasis Alpha 1" - Season 3. I've yet to purchase this title so cannot comment on quality.

From Amazon.de for the relevant release : "SPACE:1999 Vol. 3 enthält die Folgen 25-36. Alle zwölf Folgen sind auf einer einzigen Disc enthalten. Daher ist das Bild nur in SD und die Bildqualität mit den vergriffenen DVDs von e-m-s identisch. Der Ton ist wahlweise in deutsch und englisch vorhanden (obwohl nur deutsch auf dem Cover steht). Es gibt noch andere Fehler auf dem Cover. Auf dem Frontcover ist Barry Morse drauf und wird namentlich erwähnt, obwohl er gar nicht in der zweiten Staffel mitspielt, dafür aber Catherine Schell (Maya) und Tony Anholt (Tony Verdeshi). Auf der Rückseite gibt es eine Inhaltsangabe, die (mal wieder) totaler Quatsch ist, und als Bildformat wird fälscherweise Widescreen angegeben, obwohl das Bildformat natürlich Vollbild 4:3 ist.
Extras gibt es keine. Schade, daß Crest/Laser Paradise so eine lieblose Veröffentlichung auf BD ablieferte."

Space 1999 vol 3 contains episodes 25 to 36. All 12 episodes are contained on a single disk. Because of this, the picture is only SD and the picture quality is identical to the standard DVDs from EMS. The soundtrack is in english and german (although it states only german on the cover). There are numerous other failures on the cover. Barry Morse is pictured on the front cover, although he never appeared in the 2nd series, being replaced by CS and TA. On the rear side is a list of contents which is complete rubbish, and it states the picture format erroneously as wide screen, even though it is presented in 4:3.

There are no extras. It's a shame that Crest/Laser Paradise have released such an uncaring product on Bluray".

In other words, avoid. I'd say avoid anything from Crest / Laserparadise, as they have released a number of substandard DVDs and blurays - Dune, Dark Star and these amongst them.

stiki

Alphans

I'm actually referring to the 3 disc DVD Set - 4 episodes a disc in High definition:

[ame="http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00A501Q2Q/ref=s9_bbs_gw_d0_g74_ir04?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0SMDD656RDNFWAJ6HFCK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375173&pf_rd_i=301128"]http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00A501Q2Q/ref=s9_bbs_gw_d0_g74_ir04?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0SMDD656RDNFWAJ6HFCK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375173&pf_rd_i=301128[/ame]

stiki

Alphans
As far as I can see, this is a standard PAL DVD, not HDDVD or Blu-ray. So I'm wondering why you think it's high definition?

According to "The Catacombs" the prints have been remastered and are on par with the Network Year One episodes on DVD.... I cannot confirm or deny as I have yet to buy them myself.

Waldo

Alphans
Well as it's now 2014, I wonder if we'll finally see series two on bluray? Somehow I'm ready to be disappointed yet again.

VoyagerOne

Alphans
If it's a quality product and is either region free or ultimately available in North America, I don't mind continuing to wait. I think it will be worth it in the end.

wvrs158

Alphans
"Mid-2014" is right around the corner. Yep, it's time for another update. I can only hope it's not more delays, but unfortunately I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

Last edited:

tom_k35

Alphans
Andercon

This was posted over at the Digital Bits last week:

The Gerry Anderson-themed Andercon convention happens in London on 4/19-20, and according to official website Network will be showing HD remastered episodes of Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, and Joe 90, as well as Space: 1999 – Season Two and a documentary for the latter (possibly being created for the BD release) called Space: 1999 – Season 2: On Set, In Production. So perhaps this means Blu-ray releases of these properties are on the way, which would be especially good news in the case of the long-awaited Space: 1999 – Season Two. Watch for an official update during the convention. With any luck we’ll hear something about Blu-ray then.

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Let's hope some positive news on this subject is indeed forthcoming, as it has been quite a wait already for an honest-to-God quality release of Y2!

Like your avatar, BTW. Always liked that design for the test-card; wonderfully dynamic...

:2c:

And, a great day for Boston today! :yes:

This was posted over at the Digital Bits last week:

The Gerry Anderson-themed Andercon convention happens in London on 4/19-20, and according to official website Network will be showing HD remastered episodes of Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, and Joe 90, as well as Space: 1999 – Season Two and a documentary for the latter (possibly being created for the BD release) called Space: 1999 – Season 2: On Set, In Production. So perhaps this means Blu-ray releases of these properties are on the way, which would be especially good news in the case of the long-awaited Space: 1999 – Season Two. Watch for an official update during the convention. With any luck we’ll hear something about Blu-ray then.

spacefan

Alphans
Entire Year 2 in High Definition currently streaming on Hulu

I noticed the whole of Year 2 is on hulu.com in high def! But there are commercial announcements to tolerate.

Hope the blu rays come out soon.

spacefan

Alphans
Entire Year 2 Currenty in High Def on Hulu.com

I thought I had discovered episodes of the second season in high definition on hulu.com. They look great but a more trained eye on this forum corrected me. They are apparently standard def.

Last edited:

Fenton

Alphans
My hunch of an imminent announcement of series two following the 50% sale on series 1 proved correct then - mystical cosmic powers ! ;-)

VoyagerOne

Alphans
Glad to see that a release date has finally been announced. Interestingly enough, my friend and I just watched a Year Two episode (DVD) yesterday, and the episode was Seed of Destruction. Looking at the list of extras that are included with the BD release is "Seed of Destruction: the series two episode re-edited and re-scored as if it were made for series one". I'm looking forward to seeing how good the second year looks on BD, especially after noticing how grainy SOD looked off the DVD.

In region A, so nope, won't be ordering from the Network web-site. Will have to wait until it's available in Canada. Haven't seen any release dates for North America yet. I know I'll be extremely happy when I've got this BD set in my hands. :D