Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Zero X Deteriorating!

I know it. I call it "bad" resin, chemical reaction, a kind of (wrong) mixture between the A and B urethan resin components? A kind of sweating. I have this problem on two of my eagle CMs. I drilled openings in them to avoid this "oily sweating". I drilled these holes in the closed heads a year ago to dry them out and now it seems, that this chemical process is comming to an end. I will try to repaint them leaving open areas (same air pressure in and outside of the heads). I have no idea if it will work. Just a try. If it does not work, well, I will have two CMs for the garbage and Chris will sell two more :D.

skyfullofstars said:
I know it. I call it "bad" resin, chemical reaction, a kind of (wrong) mixture between the A and B urethan resin components? A kind of sweating. I have this problem on two of my eagle CMs. I drilled openings in them to avoid this "oily sweating". I drilled these holes in the closed heads a year ago to dry them out and now it seems, that this chemical process is comming to an end. I will try to repaint them leaving open areas (same air pressure in and outside of the heads). I have no idea if it will work. Just a try. If it does not work, well, I will have two CMs for the garbage and Chris will sell two more :D.

The problematic ones I have are of course NOT from the UK (Chris) to make this clear. And I had this problem with Araldit resin here in Switzerland too.

saturnapollo

Alphans
Chris

I have just recveived a reply from AJAModels and I have to say that they have come up trumps. Obviously I have a lot more work ahead of me but at least they have admitted responsability. Pity they couldn't track down all their customers down or that I hadn't complained as soon as I got the kit , but I guess you live and learn!

I can't have any complaints about their response.

Keith

Hello Keith,
Federation Models emailed me your concerns about the kit. And, I must deeply apologise for the poor resin.
If I may explain:
About the time you bought the model, It was brought to my attention the a bunch of kits made that particular week were mixed incorrectly. I have rectified all those kits with replacement parts and I'm glad to say you're (hopefully) the last one.
Please correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the parts you have a problem with are:
The main body, and the two wings. All the other parts were pressure cast and should have been fine. I always have spare parts around, and will be happy to send you new ones.
I assume you'll need a new decal sheet as well.
If i may say, i wish you had brought this to my/his attention sooner ! After 6 months, I'd be stewing over it too !
Can you please give me a phone number and a time I can call you to go over the details and make you a happy customer.

Sincerely,
Adam
ajamodels.

cricket

Alphans
Wow, I certainly am impressed by the response. If all companies acted that way the world would be a much more pleasant place!

DX-SFX

Alphans
What Cricket said. Top marks to AJA.

Skyfullofstars, I fear that you will have that recurring problem too. Weeping resin rarely stops. There's no real cure for it.

Bishop

Alphans
Wow. That's fantastic. Some admits that something stuffed up and are happy to fix it. That builds trust.

cdrtravis

Alphans
Can you imagine a car manufacturer behaving in such an honourable and honest fashion when they stuff up?

Would be nice, wouldn't it?

Anyway, that's a good result - and a rapid one too - saturnappollo.

Liberator

Alphans
Excellent customer service to be congratulated. When you get the repacement parts consider the first build a trial run. Surely theres something you could improve on?

w8cmp

Alphans
Excellent result. If only more manufacturers were this helpful, and so long after you built the kit.

Hopefully you can remove whatever other parts you need from the original model to rebuild it with the new parts supplied, to create a truly excellent model.

Please keep us updated on progress and the quality of the new castings etc.

Chris

TonyB

Forum Supporter
What a good response from them, its good to see that they held up their hands and admitted responsibility, as has been previously said if only more manufacturers would respond in this manner.

The only real shame though is that the problem was noticed so long after the build was completed, how many hours of time effort and materials wasted. :(

saturnapollo

Alphans
Couldn't ask for any better service. My fault for not complaining instantly, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

When you get the repacement parts consider the first build a trial run. Surely theres something you could improve on?

Yes there are a couple of things I would do differently, but the main advantage will be to work with decent quality material, and as has been said experience will count for something. The MEV is OK as I covered it in 10 thou plastic card (still got the template I used to allign the engines with the Main Body). So I just have saw off the rear end. The hardest part will be to mix the paint to get the same colour (as I can't really remember which Humbrol blues I used). I'm unsure how to handle the LBs as I wouldn't want to have to build all the engines again and removing them singly isn't an option. I could perhaps remove them in blocks of four by cutting into the LB. We'll see!

Anyway finishing the Moonbus and building Discovery comes first!!!

Keith

JJL567

Alphans
A good result.

It's a shame about the hours of lost labour, but I always see them as extra flying hours, which in due course make a better pilot!

:)

Franz Bolo

Alphans
Did you see the watery substance when you got the resin parts??

I was casting some resin toys and I had one bad mix. It was apparent from the start that the resin was weeping a liquid.

It was my best cast too! I put it inside my car on the dashboard for a day. It gets to be about 100 degrees here so it was pretty hot inside the car. I periodically wiped the liquid off.

By the end of the day, there was no more liquid and there hasn't been since.

I guess it finally cured somehow? Do any of the experts know if heat can fix the resin problem?

thanks

FB

I have this kit [unmade] I can report that my kit has no oily deposits s surface it can be marked/indented with a steel tool but not with a finger nail, I carried the same test out on the more common vanilla coloured resin and there was no dicernable difference. Non of the resin is translucent.

There is a whitesh tide mark on a couple of the parts, but I can't remember if that is as it originally came or not.

Marty...

saturnapollo

Alphans
Did you see the watery substance when you got the resin parts??

No, there was no liquid of any kind seeping out. If there had been I would have returned it immediately. The only clue that things weren't as they should be was the somewhat fragile nature of the resin. Nothing else to indicate things to come.

Just have to wait until I get a phonecall from Adam to discuss things.

Keith

saturnapollo

Alphans
it can be marked/indented with a steel tool but not with a finger nail, I carried the same test out on the more common vanilla coloured resin and there was no dicernable difference. Non of the resin is translucent.

I think you are OK, as it would be very apparent the resin was different from normal stuff.

Be very interested to see yours once it's built!

Keith

saturnapollo

Alphans
Just spent an hour on the phone with Adam from AJAmodels and he is a very decent fellow. He explained the type of resin he used is mixed with tiny glass sphere's which keeps the weight down but keeps the large pieces (LBs etc) rigid. Unfortunately he got the mix ratio wrong on a few pieces initially and has been replacing the parts he has been able to track down. Mine seem to be the last and I've just been unlucky to get so many of the pieces in the one kit.

His customer service is certainly second to none and I have mentioned how we are all impressed.

He is also the guy who mastered part of the Timeslip Discovery and is mastering the 2001 satellites for George (the French one should be available in a couple of weeks).

And his next Gerry Anderson venture should be the Sunprobe.

He is toying with the idea of releasing Zero X as an inflight version (no landing gear) for about half price and was wondering if there would be any interest with Anderson devotees. I said I would ask on this forum to see if anyone would be interested and let him know.

I'm going to send him a link to this forum as I suspect he'll be interested in joining.

Keith

paul gray

Forum Supporter
what a top guy.talking of sun probes i built a couple myself a few years back

anyone fancy one let me know.i could really do with the space as next projects are a 44inch eagle and a mobile
cheers Paul

Moderator edit to fix double img tags. Cheers, and nice pics, by the way! CR