Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Zombite fighter

tobor

Alphans
Hi,
I’ve just finished the basic construction of a Thunderbirds Zombite fighter.
http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/tobor224/Zombite/
It was a reasonably straightforward and quick build. The paint job will probably take a lot longer.
I’ve got a few models now that need painting. Rather than use rattle cans I’ve decided I’d better start using an airbrush to get a better finish. I’ve never used an airbrush before, so I’m going to practice on paper, plastic sheet etc, before I go anywhere near the models.
I’ll keep you posted as I progress. :)

Fun Pod

Alphans
Terrific adaption, Tobor, can't wait to see the finished bird up close against a sky background.

P.S. Scott says, "No! You don't!" Dunno what he's on about... ;)

TonyB

Forum Supporter
Looking good, I have a stash of F104 kits in various scales for conversion, just never got around to doing them, yet that is. :-/

w8cmp

Alphans
You'll find the airbrush easier than a rattle can once you get going with it...:thumbup:

paul gray

Forum Supporter
very nice build up pictures. good luck with the painting ,looking forward to the finished item
cheers Paul

tobor

Alphans
Thanks for the encouragement.
I’m going to use Halfords grey primer as a base coat.
Then the plan is to use acrylics in the airbrush. I’m thinking of using either Tamiya or Humbrol acrylics.
Does anyone have experience of these, which is best?

DX-SFX

Alphans
Thanks for the encouragement.
I’m going to use Halfords grey primer as a base coat.
Then the plan is to use acrylics in the airbrush. I’m thinking of using either Tamiya or Humbrol acrylics.
Does anyone have experience of these, which is best?

Use their grey plastic primer which is slightly different from the standard primer.

tobor

Alphans
Hi DX-SFX,
Will the red arrow model I’ve already sprayed with normal Halfords primer be ok with, say Tamiya acrylics on top.

TerraForm1,
The F-104 is the Lindberg 1:48 scale kit.
The B 58 engine is from the large Aurora kit (number 375) It doesn’t have a scale on the box, but it is about 1:72.

mack29

Alphans
Tamiya acrylics spray nicely when thinned with Tamiya thinner: however, I find that they don't tend to hand brush as well and can have an uneven finish.

I have not used Humbrol acrylics for years but I used to get a good finish with them. They can be thinned with water.

I would recommend the use of both Games Workshop and Vallejo acrylic paints, both of which can be thinned with water. The GW paints tend to have a very slight sheen to them when dry, but their metallic colours are great. I have only just started using the Vallejo paints, but they have a fantastic range of colours and do seem to dry to a nice matt finish. If you can get hold of them, Liquitex artist paints are nice to use, can be thinned with water, but again dries with a slight sheen.

If you want a truly matt finish I would recommend spraying your completed model with Testor's Dull-Cote,

DX-SFX

Alphans
Hi James. No, there's no problem overcoating either of them but the plastic primer sticks to kits slightly better if you have to mask anything. You can thin both primers out with cellulose thinners for putting through an airbrush. If you use low tack tapes, you should be OK. On occasion I've even used wet newspaper as a mask when airbrushing weathering onto very delicate surfaces. You make the paper wet enough to stick but not so wet that excess water goes all over the place (obviously).