Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Zooney

Mike Delamar

Alphans
would like to hear peoples opinnions on Zooney from Fireball XL5.

I think he's probably the most annoying charachter in a kids TV series, even more than scrappy doo or that unicorn from dungeons and dragons.

yes Im looking at it from an adults point of view, but the other 2 I mention used to force me to turn them shows off when I was young.

Mike

Masterspy

Alphans
I think Zoony is the best character in Fireball XL5.

But that's hardly surprising as I find most of Fireball largely unwatchable.

ChrisofEDF

Alphans
Well you can kind of look at zoony from 2 points of view, an ingenious plot device designed to create jepordy and forward plot lines, (i.e stealing XL5, scaring aliens etc. or in bizzare form of comic relief for extremly imature people (shooting commander zero, putting space city on over charge).
For some bizzare reason i like him. Dont know why...

Mike Delamar

Alphans
well commander zero is probably the most realistic charachter in the show, he reminds me of several of my own bosses over the years :yes:

Mike

Zoony? Why he's part and parcel of early Anderson shows! thinks - Mitch the monkey and Oink the seal... all of 'em are indicative of the time they they were made (irritating as they may be or not). Think Muffin the mule, Andy Pandy or even Grandma in Thunderbirds!

Masterspy

Alphans
Sod Zoony. You want irritating, see Venus. Or Lt 90. Or Zero.

Even the APF crew felt indifferent about XL5.

Phil

Alphans
To appreciate Zooney one really shouldn't just see XL5 in isolation. That was only his early work - he later went on to became a major player in the West End. He joined the RSC and played opposite both Richard Burton and John Gielgud in Richard III in the late sixties. Following a stint in Equus, at the peak of his fame, he suddenly mysteriously shunned the London scene and went into retirement on an island in the Hebrides. He was last seen living with his fellow metallic green lovey, X20, on a remote deserted island somewhere in the Orkneys.

Masterspy

Alphans
To appreciate Zooney one really shouldn't just see XL5 in isolation. That was only his early work - he later went on to became a major player in the West End. He joined the RSC and played opposite both Richard Burton and John Gielgud in Richard III in the late sixties. Following a stint in Equus, at the peak of his fame, he suddenly mysteriously shunned the London scene and went into retirement on an island in the Hebrides. He was last seen living with his fellow metallic green lovey, X20, on a remote deserted island somewhere in the Orkneys.

Actually, X20 lives in an actor's retirement home in the US. I know this, because I recorded a commentary with him and Phones about two years ago...

Stu73

Alphans

I heard Zooney had been approached by Jeff Wayne to narrate his next war of the worlds tour...

Masterspy

Alphans
Feel free to elaborate on that - don't stop there, please!

Well, David Elliott said that 'everyone felt very let down by it.' The only other series to draw such disdain was The Secret Service.

Generally, the concensus seems to be that Four Feather Falls and Thunderbirds were the two series that the APF crew most enjoyed working on, with the ones that worked on FFF citing that pretty much every time.

Actually, looking through my notes, The Secret Service drew more vocal criticism:

"The Secret Service was just a bit weird!" says Director Leo Eaton bluntly. He is not alone in his negative assessment, as Production Controller Desmond Saunders attests: "The Secret Service was an experience that I suppose I never really felt happy about. It was strange. I suppose it was the gobbledygook and the mixture of live action with puppets. It never seemed to me to be a very good idea."

Whereas Fireball just seemed to draw shrugged shoulders.

Have I mentioned that I've got a book coming out? ;)

Bishop

Alphans
Why yes you have :lol: Its interesting, I could never work out why we had to have these silly crooks (yes even the Hood) in the TBs, after all you hardly need to have crooks to have rescues. I found them all rather getting in the way because I wanted our fellows to be in peril bravely rescuing people rather than because of some wanker trying yet again to steal their stuff. Don't get me wrong, they're all good rip roaring stories, just unnecessary for the main plot line.

It seems that all the shows have something to annoy, but each annoyance is different for different people.

Masterspy

Alphans
Why yes you have :lol: Its interesting, I could never work out why we had to have these silly crooks (yes even the Hood) in the TBs, after all you hardly need to have crooks to have rescues. I found them all rather getting in the way because I wanted our fellows to be in peril bravely rescuing people rather than because of some wanker trying yet again to steal their stuff. Don't get me wrong, they're all good rip roaring stories, just unnecessary for the main plot line.

It seems that all the shows have something to annoy, but each annoyance is different for different people.

Are you aware that International Rescue are responsible for causing 50% of their rescues?

Mike Delamar

Alphans
the only thing that annoyed me with zooney was the constant "welcome home"

none of the other charachters in fireball xl5 or any of the other shows have bothered me :)

Mike

Mike Delamar

Alphans
ive sinced showed my mum zooney, she was born 1958, as soon as i showed her him she said, awwwww I remember him :lol:

she loved him as a kid

so Ive sort of wained towards him now :)

Mike

mack29

Alphans
I must admit I didn't think Zooney had retired - just changed careers.
Last thing I heard he was PM of the UK. There's definitely a resemblance and they have equally good presentation skills

Three doctors at a convention comparing notes.

The Chinese doctor says "We are so medically advanced, we can perform a Heart transplant and have the guy up and looking for work in a month!"

The American doctor says "That's nothing, we can do a heart and lung transplant, splitting the heart into two and placing half a heart and one lung into each of two patients and have them both looking for work in a week!"

The English doctor is astonished at these statements and knows there is no way the British medical technology can compare, but will not let England lose this game of one-upmanship, so says "that is peanuts. We can transplant an asshole from Scotland into Downing street and have EVERYONE looking for work by the end of the day!"