Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Blakes 7

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 11-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #41
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

Woohoo i have managed to bend two sections of acid green acrylic into semi circles. Superglue will not cut it so im inserting six small nuts and bolts. They will show but im hoping they will be largely hidden by the outer layer of frosted acrylic. I tried the heat gun and it didnt work so in exasperation i bunged it in the oven. a few minutes later it was like rubber. It is now all put together and appears to be strong and the correct..ish shape. I shall put pictures in later.

Last edited by T.F.U.; 11-10-2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: extra info
T.F.U. is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #42
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.F.U. View Post
Woohoo i have managed to bend two sections of acid green acrylic into semi circles. Superglue will not cut it so im inserting six small nuts and bolts. They will show but im hoping they will be largely hidden by the outer layer of frosted acrylic. I tried the heat gun and it didnt work so in exasperation i bunged it in the oven. a few minutes later it was like rubber. It is now all put together and appears to be strong and the correct..ish shape. I shall put pictures in later.
There's a special glue for acrylic which is, apparently, much better than superglue.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #43
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

I must get some for the outer rings. er chaps i know the clear acrylic for the standard trooper is about as rare as hens teeth but i have been looking at the "provine" helmet. This appears to be light diffusing acrylic and that i have found on ebay. hopefully this will do the buisness.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #44
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

To glue acrylic 'persepex' , normally you use 'solvent cement', which partially dissolves the plastic so it fuses or welds. I dunno where you get it in the UK, usually anyone who sells the plastic also sells the cement....
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #45
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

This is the stuff that does it for me - EMA's Liquid Solvent Cement, it will bond plastics like acrylic, ABS, styrene and others together. As Ham says, it melts the surfaces (it's a solvent), so when they are pressed together they fuse. You will need some sort of applicator, either a bristle paintbrush to brush it on, or one of the various syringes or droppers EMA sell.

One piece of useful advice in the instructions - if you're joining two different types of materials, apply an extra coat to the harder material, to soften it up a bit more.
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 16-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #46
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks mate - i got some acrylic glue and it worked splendidly. i now have the two rings on the helmet and am decorating it up at the mo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0518.jpg (155.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0520.jpg (123.9 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by T.F.U.; 16-10-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 18-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #47
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

... and i have the round buckle and the gem. The next step is to add the hot glue. Done and done primed and painted black awaiting its silver flecking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 053.jpg (86.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by T.F.U.; 19-10-2012 at 06:11 AM.