Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Blakes 7

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 24-02-2016, 03:40 AM   #1
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

Default Liberator size?

One of the problems of Blake's 7, is that the size of the Liberator was never stated. Some believe that the Liberator is a huge ship and the only usable space is in the thin front cone of the main body.

Back in the mid-90's, I went through the Blake's 7 episodes and drew sketches of the interior sets of the Liberator. I did a sketch of side view of the Liberator. I also did the same with the Scorpio.

What I found interesting was in the 2nd episode we see the Liberator for the first time (as well as the London) and we get a size comparison of both. When I look at the London, I take the size of the ship as been 2 decks high. The back end has the retractable docking tube. In the docking scenes, we see the interior of the docking tube and it's just big enough for a person standing up (maybe 7' diameter). I take the size of the docking tube as confirmation that the London (main body) is 2 decks high.

In the shots where we see the London right along the Liberator's side, I determined the Liberator's size as follows:

Main body - nose cone (just behind the 4 fins) - 4 decks
- nose cone (just before the spokes) - 6 decks
- large "wheel" with the spokes - 12 decks
- mid-section (copper solar panel area) - 9-10 decks
- rear section (where the 3 pods connect to) - 10 decks

That's about half the size (height-wise) of the TOS/Refit Enterprise. The question is how much of that is machinery and how much of that space is living space.
Tech_Designer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 05:44 AM   #2
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Nicely thought out! Which i totally agree with. Would you mind if i put your thoughts up on my Facebook page devoted to B7 modelwork?

https://www.facebook.com/Blakes7models/?ref=hl
MangaMax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 06:30 AM   #3
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

No, I don't mind at all. I originally thought about posting in your thread.

At the time, I was discussing the usable space with my brother and he went one way where he believes most of the ship is machinery (and a small area is livable space). I went the other way and took the idea that most of the ship is livable space (like on Star Trek) and a small area is machinery.

Last edited by Tech_Designer; 24-02-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 24-02-2016, 08:14 AM   #4
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Designer View Post

At the time, I was discussing the usable space with my brother and he went one way where he believes most of the ship is machinery (and a small area is livable space). I went the other way and took the idea that most of the ship is livable space (like on Star Trek) and a small area is machinery.
Actually,over half of the enterprise by volume is engineering' space...machinery. The living part of the ship is basically the saucer section, aside from a some decks in the engineering hull for access to the hanger deck, hydroponics, and fuel storage. Even a large part of the saucer section was machinery: the impulse drive took up the rear end of it.

Not sure how much of the Liberator is 'living space' because we never got to see that much of it in the show...there was mentioned 'huge stores' of wealth, clothing,consumables and whatnot. we didn't get to see those.

There's also that when the travel tube from the london was attached, it was connected to a lock adjoining the flight deck...and was attached near the middle of the ship. This would indicate that the flight deck was located BEHIND the front cone section.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 24-02-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

Will look at the Horizon data pack.
I'm sure it's stated on there what the scale is?
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Fascinating reading, all!
Old 24-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Always thought these structures at the bottom are buildings, thereby giving a whacking great sense of size to the Liberator
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12647269_1667396996843576_6623503731619588166_n.jpg (120.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 24-02-2016, 05:17 PM   #8
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

I haven't seen the show in years. I had made a list of rooms of the Liberator and did some sketches on most of them (back in the 90's). From what I can remember, the main sets were the flight deck, the teleport room and some corridors. They showed sickbay which I think that set was redressed for the rec-gym room. There was the airlock room, the computer room, sub-control room (?), a living quarter, a cargo room and the escape pod room. That was at the top of my head, so I may have missed something. Yes, they did mentioned that the Liberator had many cargo/storage rooms that contained clothes, valuables etc. I not sure where the cargo doors where located in that episode when they brought in that pod. There were also the escape pods location and the where Tarrant's ship docked is unknown. They did mention that the Liberator could land.
Old 24-02-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Always found this shot funny - just where on the ship is this hanger bay supposed to be situated?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12541041_1661468257436450_6253943288269472955_n.jpg (30.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 24-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #10
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

I agree with you about that hanger bay
there isn't a shape like that anywhere on the Liberator.

Andy H
MoonbaseAlpha is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #11
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Maybe if they'd painted it red, it could've been one of those red blocks on the main hull?
Old 24-02-2016, 09:51 PM   #12
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

I checked my sketches/notes. That photo is for the cargo hold/shuttle landing bay. The crew brings in a pod through those doors into the ship. There's a line "transfer to inner hold #5", so there's at least 5 cargo holds. The sub-control room set is re-used for the gym. I believe in that episode they stated there's more than one sub-control room. The Life support capsules area looks like corridor. There's 4 (one on top of the other, 2x2) on the right wall and 4 on the left wall (what's seen on screen). I'm not sure how they jettison, downwards? The shot of the exterior ship has 6 panels, 3 on top and 3 below. Next, I have the Liberator brig room, also used as storage room (jewels), medical room, Cally's room and Villa's room. There was the Liberator's Inspection Compartment. Then there's the main Airlock. There was the exterior shot of Tarrant's ship docking and it appears to be to the left of the Life Support capsules.
Old 26-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #13
StuntmanMike
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Designer View Post

I would agree with your brother, I would say the three 'pods' are unmanned as is the globe at the rear, they gave the impression it was huge an maze like but it always came across as an organic machine to be, with a small living space for a crew.
Think of those Brooklands racers of the twenties that could do 150 mph with a aircraft engine and a bloke at the back hanging on for dear life.
StuntmanMike is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 07:40 PM   #14
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

I agree that the 3 weapon pods are pretty much machinery. The Liberator has 7 energy banks and I would place 3 of them in those weapon pods. The needle on the front nose cone (I think) was also a neutron blaster although the space there might be too small to place an energy bank there. I would place the 4 energy banks at the rear of the ship (the section where the 3 fins connect to). The green sphere section is the engine and that would be machinery as well.

They stated that the Liberator can land. I envisioned that the bottom side of the 2 bottom weapon pods would have an foot pad that would extend out and the ship would land reasting on those 2 foot pads. Then that would also present another problem - how to get personnel from the ship down to the ground? I came up with an elevator car (and a back up staircase) starting at the base of the fin and going down through the fin to the inside of the 2 bottom weapon pods. There would be a airlock room with a planetfall ramp/staircase that would then extend out and down to the planet's surface.
Old 28-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #15
Ferrain
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Always thought these structures at the bottom are buildings, thereby giving a whacking great sense of size to the Liberator
The main thing that strikes me about that picture is someone left the green propulsion module light on & the globe has warped again.

I tend to follow the view that the Liberator is massive & mostly automated, with a internal conveyance system from the hanger doors to the hanger\storage bays.

Even when automatic repair systems are not in operation, crew access to those areas would be required & the route to those areas & systems may be "maze like" & I have worked in a few places like that including weird mezzanine floors & a obscure hidden stairwell that went around a lift shaft from the main floor in a zig zag fashion with lots of short runs of stairs up & down (As a imagined short cut - It took longer to traverse).

There's a maximum core crew of about 28 based on the number of Teleport bracelets two or three teams on shifts for flight deck, teleport operations, basic ship duties & security.

Obviously there's no information on the length of time one of the Alta's would be "on shift duty" for seeing as they were augmented\controlled by The System, I doubt there would be any of the slave workers that we saw in Redemption aboard as Liberator was found abandoned & the main crew survival would have been prioritised.

Landing the ship - Dawn of the gods\Earthsearch II both by James Follett similar issues arise.

When Liberator\Challenger docked inside a artificial black hole, how do the inhabitants find a way into the central body?

When Vila is press-ganged into fixing the Teleport transducers he falls a very short way from the ships inspection compartment to the surface, how does Avon get from the ship to the surface to retrieve Vila & more importantly back into it - Did they bring a ladder or is there a better placed to the ground airlock further away?

I always took the gold panels to be the communications\teleport arrays so if its resting on the "bottom pods" that's nowhere near where Vila is supposed to be.

Zen reports that "Space has ceased to exist" if Liberator is able to land, then external sensors should be able to detect conditions such as breathable atmosphere & external gravity, unless he was back on "Unhelpful mode" again.

Challenger is about 7 miles in length at that point & the Spaceguard inhabitants have equipment that can access the airlocks "midway" up the side & according to the novelisation even have it in berthing cradle\dry dock.

Last edited by Ferrain; 28-02-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Ferrain is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-02-2016, 06:08 AM   #16
Krel
Alphan

How many hand weapon slots are there on the Liberator's bridge? That could give you an idea of the maximum crew compliment. You would want all crew members to be armed if the ship were boarded by hostile forces. There must be more teleporter bracelets in storage. As I recall, they lost quite a few of them.

David.
Krel is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #17
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

By my count there's 35 gun slots on the flight deck wall compartment and the teleport bracelet table had 32 slots (4 rows x 8 columns). I don't think they had anymore teleport bracelets and they did lose a lot of them. There's one episode (I can't remember which season it was, 1-3) where they encountered a replicator of sorts on a planet and they used it to make more teleport bracelets.

Last edited by Tech_Designer; 29-02-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #18
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

^^ If you divide a day into 3x 8-hour shifts and have 11 people per shift, that's 33 people total. The fight deck needs 5 people so that means the other 6 people would work in other areas of the ship.

I came across an artist's website, 2 days ago and the artist also was working out how big the Liberator is. He compares the TOS Enterprise (288 meters ~ 945 feet) and the London with the Liberator and starts off with making the Liberator 300 meters. I find this to be about right although maybe a bit too big. He then continues and makes the Liberator 780 meters!! He states that it could be shorter, maybe 700 meters. I disagree, that's way too big.

https://gmd3ddesigns.wordpress.com/c...ects/blakes-7/
Old 02-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #19
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Ah! That's Gerard Duffy! I recognise his internal layout renderings of the London.
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:43 PM   #20
StuntmanMike
Alphan

He's done a very good job, interesting mock up of the Liberaters nose cone, one thing that reduces the Liberaters size for me though, was the proximity of the airllock to the bridge, they seemed to be right next to each other, and again on redemption.
This suggests the bridge was on one side, or the hull just isnt that wide.
StuntmanMike is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote