Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Aliens

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 08-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #41
Azantihighlightning
Life Support Technician

Sorry, I find the comments from JTparker at best ridiculous and at worst a little offensive.

Despite the fact that ALIENS is considered by many, including all most universally, all the film critics to be one of the best sequels of all time and for me personally a superb lesson in film making, and one of my favourite films of all time, I have no problem with someone saying they don't like it, fine thats your opinion, but it doesn't mean our opinions are wrong or have any less validity than yours.

I would agree with the majority that while the subsequent Aliens films were very below par, they both had a terribly troubled production history, the third film must have gone through at least 5 different incarnations and went into shooting without a finished script. Fincher, its director was never happy with the finished film and was shooting, in his own words 'with daily meddling from the producers' he may as well just have been a production manager. Though Aliens wasn't an easy shoot either, credit to Cameron, he stuck his ground on every issue that others wanted to change.

The problems with Aliens 3 and 4 is no one really seemed sure of what films they wanted to make, also the biggest problem they both suffered from, was that everyone got it into their heads that they couldn't make an Aliens film without Ripley in it, after the sucess of Aliens, what they really needed to understand was that the star of the film was the 'Alien' and not her. Alien 3 didnt even need to have Ripley in it really. Anyone could have arrived at that planet with an Alien in tow and in fact that would have been a better film altogether. Killing Newt and Hicks off in the first 3 minutes, was as Cameron rightly said ' A slap in the face' to the whole ending of Aliens, making everything from the last film totally redundant. I had less of a problem with Finchers film as a whole than I did with the whole premise of it ruining everything the last one had striven so far to end with.

Alien 4 also went through several different incarnations and it to went into shooting without a finished script, and while it had some nice ideas in the plot, again it was a mish mash of meddling from third parties, the Alien hybrid looked so terrible that it was laughable and few if any of the supporting characters made their mark in the minds of the viewing public, yet I can remember the name of every single character from Aliens, even the one line extras.

Personally if they were ever to do another sequel (not prequel) they should shoot the William Gibson script (Which I have a copy of, probably worth a few bob that one) which was superior to Alien 3/4 in every sense and made far more sense with the continuity of the story from Aliens. They should just do a 'Dallas shower scene job' and have the all the events from the third and fourth movies be something Ripley dreamed of while her statis chamber is leaking and have her die when she gets to Gateway, and Hicks can take up the story from there. (Ripley was not in the Gibson script, which featured Hicks as the lead)

Now all that said, regarding the prequel, the reason I will go and see it is because Ridley Scott is directing it and because it plans to explore the origins of the ship in which the eggs were found. This is a great concept for a film, if he was really brave the whole film could actually have no humans in it at all, and it could be about the race who owned the ship in the first place. Sure it may turn out to be a stinker, but I've seen few Scott films I haven't liked and only one I positively disliked, so I'm going to hedge my bets now and say his film will be at the very least be interestingly watchable, if we're really lucky it might be his swansong masterpiece.

Certainly what I am NOT going to do is trash it before I have ever even seen it while stomping around with my Nazi jackboots on telling everyone else how stupid they are for liking a sequel, having thrown my rattle out of the pram. And incidentally Outland was a remake, it was High Noon in space, as the writer freely admits.

Last edited by Azantihighlightning; 08-07-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Azantihighlightning is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #42
forza27
Eagle Pilot

I believe Ridley is on the record as saying it will not be an Alien prequal but will be a new movie in its own right. The Alien aspect waqs dropped due to the hammering the AVP franchise took ( rightly so ).

So thoughts of seeing the magnificent Giger creature are perhaps dead for a long while.

Perhaps its best. Just delve into the Quadrilogy DVD set. I think 3 the weakest especially from the CGI alien and dog mutant

JT chill. Hollywodd is always bereft of ideas and will always secumb to crap sequels/prequals as they try to cash in. Vote with your feet and dont go see them. I will give them a miss too unless they actually are quality films that can stand on their own two feet.

Must crack on and do some work. Have a great weekend all.
forza27 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #43
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

The Trouble with pre-quals and Re-Makes is often a good idea is poorly executed.

Examples:

Stars Wars Pre-Quals

The Last Star Trek Movie

Lost In Space

And so on...

Last edited by ALPHA ONE; 08-07-2011 at 12:19 PM.
ALPHA ONE is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #44
forza27
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPHA ONE View Post
The Trouble with pre-quals and Re-Makes is often a good idea is poorly executed.

Examples:

Stars Wars Pre-Quals

The Last Star Trek Movie

Lost In Space

And so on...
For the record, I though the Abrams Star Trek was great. Must be the only one!
forza27 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #45
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza27 View Post
No you aren't. I thought it was a great film and a brave reboot of the Star Trek franchise.

Doug.
fireflashfive is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #46
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

Default Star Trek Movie

Geez! I must have been watching a different Movie Then!

As a Wise man once said...

"Are you Blind What's happened to your instincts? Can't you see you're being manipulated!!"

Commander Koenig S1999Y-2 (TBOW)
Old 08-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #47
Dave
Communications Officer

Er, rude?

Surely it's up to individuals what they enjoy, whether they be sequels, prequels or sprequels?

Bored now. I'll shut up...
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #48
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

Default Star Trek Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Er, rude?

Surely it's up to individuals what they enjoy, whether they be sequels, prequels or sprequels?

Bored now. I'll shut up...
Chillax Dave,

It's all in good fun, I hope?
Old 08-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #49
olantigh
Alphan

I've read the leaked script for prometheus, and i found it to be full of holes in the story line- at the end of it- i thought to myself, that it might be at least interesting to watch it if not for the script but for the special effects they have promised- however i found there where more questions at the end than answers? oh and the origin of the space jockies still not answered, however there is a alien/cat hybrid which kicks off the whole alien thingy...
i find if you leave films alone for a while the special effects often catch up and the script ideas are more modern and fresh- look at the difference between alien and aliens- i know the story is 57years apart and there have been some improvements, but in real time- 7years and the way computers are now used in film production- they often say now "if you can imagine it, you can make it"
olantigh is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #50
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Hrumph...

I actually preferred John Carpenter's "The Thing" anyway.

Now THAT'S a movie.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #51
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

Default Alien Pre-quel

"Yep!" The Thing was a pretty scary movie for the time and it's aged pretty well!
Old 12-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #52
Howard
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
Hrumph...

I actually preferred John Carpenter's "The Thing" anyway.

Now THAT'S a movie.
WORD!

Anyone got a link to the leaked script - I'd love to read it.
PM me if you need to...
Thanks!

Oh, and for the record, ALIENS is one of my top 10 films of all time.
The atmosphere in the cinema back then is one I will never forget.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #53
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

I did not care for 2010, but it did not ruin 2001 for me. A true classic is bullet proof- it will stand the test of time and whatever somebody decides to do with the franchise later.
Alien was a wonderful film that created a new style of film- the sequels took the iconic elements and did a totally different type of movie with them. They have moments, but the only one I consider unwatchable was the third.
I am going to watch Alien tonight when I get home-
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #54
olantigh
Alphan

sorry to say i didnt save a copy- found it quite boring to read- possibly a fake though it seemed real enough and the cover sheets where intact- it could have been an early rewrite version and was supposed to be a part one of three- i read it in under an hour and it contained alot of gay sex in it- which isnt really my kind of thing...nor anybody elses andwhy it was there i don't know as it didn't add anything to the story.
i'm sure it must be out there somewhere- i found it on a link from msn news page about 3 weeks ago- might still be there...
Old 12-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #55
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by olantigh View Post
i read it in under an hour and it contained alot of gay sex in it- which isnt really my kind of thing...nor anybody elses andwhy it was there i don't know as it didn't add anything to the story.
No it'll probably be re-written to have a lot of straight sex in it.........which isn't really my kind of thing, and using your logic, nor anybody elses!!!!!!

Doug.
fireflashfive is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #56
Howard
Deputy Commander

I think he meant from a hetro (majority film goer) point of view.

Sounds like a fake script if it had plot holes in it though.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #57
olantigh
Alphan

no it didn't have alot of answers in it as i remember, the last half of script and the company getting their hands on the alien termites from the spacejockies- but the ship got shot down...and the colonists realising what they had done... which is where the cat/alien hybrid and the mind controlling spacejockies came in? (gay sex scene put in here)but it did have a scene about a triangular earth ship and a whole bunch of new characters shooting down the alien ship on lv426- sounds confusing unless i had the script... which again is confusing again because im sure i saved it? but my computer says no and only shows the shortcut..very odd, something i wouldnt naturally do... i'll have to wait for the released film to see if the script was real or not...aparentally it was leaked in november of last year, so it could have been rewritten several times by now?
possibly an early draft that got thrown away as the film company did nothing to stop it going out at all...many questions i fear?
Old 31-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #58
maledoro
Alphan

Quote:
I think 3 the weakest especially from the CGI alien and dog mutant
For the record, the only CGI in that film was the cracking of the alien's head. The rest of it was green screened and rotoscoped and Fincher was hoping to clean some of the imaging up in post-production, but instead he was sent home.

Quote:
I liked it, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olantigh View Post
I've read the leaked script for prometheus, and i found it to be full of holes in the story line- at the end of it- i thought to myself, that it might be at least interesting to watch it if not for the script but for the special effects they have promised- however i found there where more questions at the end than answers? oh and the origin of the space jockies still not answered, however there is a alien/cat hybrid which kicks off the whole alien thingy...
That was fanfic that you had read. Jon Spaihts said that he didn't write that script.
maledoro is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:08 AM   #59
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Oh, and for the record, ALIENS is one of my top 10 films of all time.
The atmosphere in the cinema back then is one I will never forget.
Notice how the strobes and sound just brought the whole thing right into the seat with you? I had nightmares for years.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #60
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflashfive View Post
No you aren't. I thought it was a great film and a brave reboot of the Star Trek franchise.

Doug.

Hated it. Worst writing ever. Coulda fixed the thing with one page of rewrites...if I could do it, they SHOULD have done it.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote