Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Star Wars

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 15-12-2012, 02:58 AM   #21
Doomsday
Communications Officer

I, for one, will be buying the Revell Battlestar kits.
The prices are much more reasonable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49602360@N00/
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #22
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Does anyone know if Revell will be releasing the 1/6 Scale Cylon figure ?
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #23
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

Don't know about BG,
But Revell have a 41cm (thats very nearly Studioscale) X-Wing for release Q3 2013
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #24
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Wow , that's got to be good news ! I've still got the large electronic ( though I'm not using the option ) MPC kit on the workbench . Maybe I'll get around to finishing THAT before I get another X-Wing !
Old 11-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #25
yorkie
Geological Technician

Manufacturers often sell each others moulds The Revell Sukhoi T50 is the Zvezda kit . Saves them lots of money. The Galactica kits were being imported to Europe at full price + import tax so it's great that a major manufacturer can sell them here at a lower price.

The Revell (ex Moebius) Galactica , Viper II and Viper VII kits were only announced last summer long after Revell's official 2012 lineup was announced (January 1st each year) There was also no mention of them in their 2012 catalogue, so I assume that they may bring out Moebius' Cylon Raider and Centurion kits later this year too.

Revell 2013 line up here -
http://www.plastik-modellbau.org/blo...ten-2013/2013/

New Trek movie USS Enterprise and Star Wars kits down the bottom of the page.

Bit disappointed with this year's Revell Star Wars releases - the 2 Jedi starfighters are repops with different figures and the X-Wing looks great but I need a bigger house. Each year I keep hoping for a Clone Wars Y-Wing. Sigh. Still there should be some new kits for the 2015 movie anyway.
yorkie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #26
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

I've been putting together a few display stands with some scrap wood I had around ( as well as a piece of mirrored Perspex) and it seemed like a good excuse to work on a few of the Star Wars "Easy-Kits" I'd stored away for a rainy day .

While I was at it , I mounted up one of the AMT Tie-Fighters I've had knocking around for years .

All the kits need a little more work before I call them done and most are straight from the box , as I didn't want them to be long , intensive projects .
There are a couple more on the bench , which I'll add pics of later .
Old 25-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #27
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Great collection - think the republic drop ship is the most memorable from the prequels
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #28
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Yay !!.......

Gotta love the Y-wing.. Not many left from the films. 2 hero props were made and one of those was given to FOX executive Alan Ladd jnr, plus 1 that was made by one of the modellers Bill George for his own personal use but is probably the most photographed. I've been reading my "sculpting a galaxy" book.

Thanks Thunder and well done transforming these .
Regards Andy
wappynutter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #29
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

I must admit Andy , the Y-Wing must be my personal favourite of the Starfighters . The Revell model has been given a bit of a hard ride on some forums , but in my opinion it's a good representation of the ship . I'm adding a few little bits of wire/cabling , as well as little styrene bits and bobs here and there , but straight from the box , the detailing is not too shabby , it just needs some paint to make it "pop" . I replaced the nose cannon with some brass and steel rod and will build a new main weapon when I get around to it .( The current one is actually from the old MPC kit , as the one supplied with the Revell kit is MUCH too big ) . I also plan on adding the "roll bar " type doohickey at the back of the fuselage . I hope that Revell get around to producing the "Clone Wars" version , with its original bodywork in place .
Old 25-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #30
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Yep, was one of my favourite fighter/bombers too..

..and yes I did like the continuity from episode 1 to episodes 4-5 with the build and design using the lost/left off/shot off scenarios with the original panels..
Sculpting a galaxy states that the head of the Y-wing was a rare early type of injection moulding used to give it a sleek look that blends straight in to the kit-bashed naked structure of the rear and engine pods.
Found this image for ya...
y-wing-starfighter-1280x1024.jpg
Then spotted this excellent piece of artwork by a guy called Warren Zoell..
Y Wing , Europa.jpg

Thanks again Thunder.

Regards Andy

Old 25-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #31
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Couple of cracking images there Andy , they're definitely going in my ref picture collection ! On the subject of the "clad" Y-Wing , I've got the old AMT Y-Wing kit and I'm still considering whether to bash it into that version , but I know for a fact that as soon as I take the plunge , Revell will release THEIR version !
Old 25-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #32
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Would like to see you attempt this conversion Thunder...
..and I think even if you wait for "Revell", it'll still need a tweaking and a bit of bashing to make it right.

regards Andy
Old 26-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #33
blakeh1
Waste Technician

Wow those sure did turn out nice for what people consider crappy kits. just shows a little tlc does wonders for those things. I think the biggest problem with Revell kits is the box art they show. It just looks so toy like that most modelers seem to pass it off without seeing the potential. And of course the box scale issue instead of sticking with a standard scale
blakeh1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #34
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Regarding the "clad" Clone Wars Y-Wing - check out this thread. This guy is producing the most excellent kits and I think in the same scale as the Revell version...

http://www.therpf.com/f11/1-72nd-sca...72/index3.html
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #35
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Managed to get hold of one of the new TIE Fighter " Pocket Kits " . Long story short , nice kit and a good representation of the ship , although it's low cost is reflected in some "soft "detail . I'm mostly pleased with the model and will probably buy a couple more , but I'm seriously disappointed with Revells decision regarding it's scale . It's larger than the previous TIE's in the series ( Interceptor and Vader's) which makes my planned diorama ( with a Vader TIE) impossible , but it's pretty close in scale to the larger Revell X-Wing ( though TOO large to be 1/72nd ( compared to Fine Molds TIE's) . This is incredibly frustrating , as I can't see any rhyme or reason for Revells choice of scaling , after all , they could have even used the same molds for the cockpit parts as the Interceptor ! Anyhoo , here's some pics , compared to other TIE's ( the old AMT TIE and Revells Vader TIE ) . The " Pocket Kit " is on the right .

The TIE does look good on the Fine Molds stand !

Old 23-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #36
Scrimber
Medical Technician

Thanks for posting the pictures was so tempted to buy the pocket kit version. To go with my Vader tie glad I didn't now. But good news I have purchased the new finemold Vader tie so looking forward to that.
Scrimber is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #37
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Don't let me put you off buying the Pocket TIE ! It's still well worth it ( if you shop around , I found mine on ebay for 6.99 with free p+p ) , it's just my diorama plans were a bit scuppered . Comparing it to Fine Molds ( 1/72nd) scale , you COULD get away with displaying them together , if you used a little "forced perspective" ! Here's a quick shot with the Fine Molds Interceptor to give you an idea of the difference ).
Old 23-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #38
blakeh1
Waste Technician

I know there's been speculation that the Fine Molds 1/72 ties are too small, especially when you see the relative size of the tie fighters in the FFG X-wing miniatures game. (the developers claim they got the scales right and are approved by Lucas films as the "new canon" scale and that all the previous incarnations got the scale wrong as the ties were too small and the A-wing was too small) Not sure how much I buy into it, but...maybe the Revell tie works out better being displayed with the Fine molds 1/72 X-wing as a more appropriate 1/72 scale model
blakeh1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #39
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Picked up a couple more of the "Easy Kits" , the Attack Shuttle and Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator . Both are excellent kits and like most of this range , good results can be achieved relatively quickly . In fact , I've only worked on Maul's ship for a couple of hours and already , it's about 90% finished ! This is down to the fact that it assembles superbly and requires no filler work and very little in the way of sanding . Also , the factory paint job is very good and apart from on the "wings" ( where the demarcation between the two greys is a little "feathered") needs no re-painting or touching up . I simply added a light pastel sludge wash to bring out the panel lines and add a little shade . These panel lines are excellent on the main body , but the detail on the "ball cockpit" is a little softer than I'd like . It's also a bit of a head scratcher as to why internal cockpit detail and a tiny Maul figure is included , but is invisible when the solid red "window" parts are added ! Some re-painting IS needed though on the dark grey detail parts , as the factory silver "dry-brushed" effect is rudimentary to say the least . The wings are moveable to a degree , but I imagine they wouldn't stand the test of time , so I'll be cementing them in the "landed" position as I'll be displaying mine on a "Tatooine-like" desert diorama .

As I'm always saying , these kits are great value ( especially as they keep popping up discounted ) and are perfect for modellers like myself , who work from the kitchen table and whos' modelling time is limited .
Old 08-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #40
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Another day , another Revell Star Wars kit ! As I recently added the AAT to the collection , I thought I'd stick to my pattern of giving it a little out-of-box "review" before building it up as a "proper" kit . First all , it has to be said , this isn't one of the best of the range . The last two I picked up , the Nu-Class Shuttle and the Sith Infiltrator turned out to be pretty good kits and this model falls short of that standard . That's not to say it's a bad kit , because it's not , it's just pretty "average" . The model is about 2/3rds the size of the old AMT kit ( more of that later) , but lacks surface detail . In fact , this is the kit that would define the range's "toy-like" properties to it's detractors , as that's exactly what this model looks like "out of box" . A large part of that is due to the paint scheme used , screen accurate or not , it's AWFUL ! I knew as soon as I bought it that I definately would be re-painting it and my original plan was to give it the Phantom Menace-style "Desert" colour scheme , which is where the AMT kit comes into it . I dug out my AMT version to copy the scheme and this is where I was surprised to find that the newer kit is VERY different . It's almost like the Revell version is a completely different "marque" , as not only does it differ in shape , some features ( such as the forward facing guns on the lower forward "fuselage" ) are missing completely ! Despite this , the model is STILL worth getting , as it's shortcomings are nothing that can't be sorted with a little "tweaking" and I'm a fan of the general design . In fact , taking my (90% finished ) AMT version out of storage has reminded me HOW much I like the design and I'll be returning to that particular model as now I have plenty of picture reference , which wasn't as easily available when I first built it . Anyhow , here's some pics of the Revell kit , before I did any work on it .

I used styrene sheet to add some panel detail and brass wire to fabricate "grab-rails" . (I've since decided that the antenna are too thick and will replace them as soon as I get some suitable wire .) I used a dark grey automotive primer as a base coat , used Tamiya tape to mask of some areas and then added a second colour , Grey Beige ( I took a little inspiration from German WW2 armour patterns ). I'm currently weathering with pastel chalk washes and adding chips and scrapes with aluminium paint .